Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First party nintendo games you didn't like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't really agree with that, but I agree about it being unfortunate that some of their more overlooked franchises continually are ignored.

I think it's just a consequence of their business situation. Without much in the way of outside support on both the Wii U and the 3DS, they try to focus on the projects that offer the most bang for the buck. Right or wrong (I'd argue the latter), they go after the projects with the widest appeal.

I think they're the worst off for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree with that last post entirely. They have a nice list of stuff going back to the NES if not earlier they just seem to have no interest in tapping into other than Smash Bros trophies that could be made or remade into some excellent stuff. There hasn't been much of a Road Rage type bike smash up game in awhile and with them owning Mach Rider, it could be a game to exploit. With that tablet game everyone called a 2D/3D knockoff of Excitebike, it could be a great game to properly revisit, just not like how they did on N64 that tanked. They have the NES Remix packages, how about a black box package for the 3DS and WiiU, even the light game guns could be tapped out or on WiiU using the Wii controller (which is happening shortly with Duck Hunt NES.) Even within that NES package I'm thinking of, they could ape their own Game & Watch releases and have a modern version right next to a clasisic cart. Imagine a 3D/2D Balloon Fight and Kung Fu. They have a lot they could tap that's been long left in the dust. Custom Robo, Advance Wars, F-Zero, all pretty dead since the Gamecube days and flat Metroid since the GBA titles.

They're very much worse off for it walking the fine super similar line of rehash hell that wears people out. Various franchises just seem to be bleeding interest, few can get away with it yearly outside of the EA junk with new rosters or Call of Duty with the new coat of paint to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The number of bad Zeldas now outnumber the good ones in my opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm curious what your good to bad list on that is, and do you including the mostly junk Capcom (as Flagship) released on handhelds as then I'd understand it. I'd like to compare lists to see if they line up.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Whoa, the Capcom Zelda games were amazing. What are you talking about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm curious what your good to bad list on that is, and do you including the mostly junk Capcom (as Flagship) released on handhelds as then I'd understand it. I'd like to compare lists to see if they line up.
    Well I think most of us can agree that the "essentials" are the original, adventure of link, links awakening, link to the past and ocarina of time

Outside of that essential list, there's not a single entry that lives up to the quality of the above. Wind waker is tricky because I know it has a rabid fan-base but I just don't get any joy out of the fetch quests, sailing and linear story.

The second batch of gameboy color games are nothing more than average and lack the charm of the originals. Minish cap never clicked with me and I never got far into it to be honest.

Twilight princess was sadly a repeat offender doing little more than a playable wolf character as its sole innovation. Skyward sword was terrible and the less said the better.

I'm neutral on majoras mask

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oops forgot to add the two DS games which I consider pretty poor based on the general lack of quality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can kind of see that. I think of Wind Waker as an essential too, more than Ocarina as it does far more right than Ocarina does, but I get why some detest the slow sailing but the WiiU version fixes up the issues.

The only portable Zelda I ever really loved enough to finish was Links Awakening/DX. The other two on GBC I found fairly poor, and a big issue was that they were obscenely linear to the point some places had you feeling like you had to walk a one Link wide path (and in little spots you did) and the annoying level of backtracking in some dungeons like the one with the rail car was over the top. The other 'good' unique handheld one was Minish Cap but I did get bored of it about 2/3 into it, and I'm excluding the SNES re-release there.

Majora we've seen me tear into, not going to re-run that one. Twilight was awful on Wii with sketchy controls that bogged down play or just sucked, and glitched on the wolf. The GC version was tolerable but had so much boring empty areas to run across, it was like a soulless Ocarina other than the gloomy story bits, and saving was a SNES era throwback so if you didn't hit a cave/town(door) you'd lose your work so I quit on that one due to lack of time to do that. Skyward Sword was alright, tiring in longer plays and the re-run over areas and the annoyance factor of the collection in it got on my nerves and I never felt compelled to do more than around a little over 1/2 of it.

The DS games I already ripped on, over the top re-run dungeon in the first, the other to a lesser degree, and really poor forced stylus play. The 3DS game is SNES like, admirable with that, but I for one dislike open world games as I hate not having a sene of direction, I'm not in elementary school or some dateless teen who can sit around for dozens of hours and bumble to the next place and that in itself scares me that the WiiU game is supposed to be even more open so odds are great I'll pass on it. Zelda has been a downward spiral for me after the climaxing quality of Wind Waker on the Cube (and WiiU remaster.)

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

If it isn't zelda, Mario or star fox related, i don't give a fuck about it

Smash bros, Pokemon, metroid, fire emblem, wario, Kirby etc etc, they can all go to hell. Just not my bag
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was never over-the-moon about Dr. Mario. It's alright, I guess, but if Mario wasn't in it at all it'd just be another random puzzle game on NES like Palamedes that no one cares about. Palamedes is better, imo.

I'm also not crazy about Skyward Sword, although I have not beaten it, I didn't find the story to be that appealing in the beginning, and I just find the graphics to be a little off. Idk why, he doesn't look like Link, he looks weird and it unsettles me. I'll play more and give it another chance, though.

I also don't like Super Mario Land 3 at all. Wario is the clunkiest character ever. He's good in Wario Land Shake it, but SML 3 on Gameboy, ughhhhhhh.

I've never been crazy about the DK country games, I just find DK to be a little slow also as a platforming character, but I can appreciate the games, and will probably give these more of a chance.

I did enjoy Kirby 64, but it doesn't feel like a Kirby game, so much as it just looks and feels like an N64 game, and even though it has the same gameplay mechanics as the older ones, they just look sooo much better on SNES, and play much better, also. For what Kirby 64 is, it is good, but I'd just much rather play the NES/SNES Kirby games. I would love to get Kirby's Dreamland 3 if it wasn't so damn expensive, cuz imo that game looks way better than Kirby 64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Super Mario Land 3 was a kick in the nuts to me when I got it. I hadn't read up on the game in any magazines and though Wario played a bigger role, but didn't know they were like Non-Super Mario World 2 was just using a game to sell a lie to consumers. It should have straight up been called Wario Land, as the other should just have been Yoshis Island. Very disappointing tactic when you're a kid on a budget and in the pre-internet days.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mario Land 3 was a kick in the nuts to me when I got it. I hadn't read up on the game in any magazines and though Wario played a bigger role, but didn't know they were like Non-Super Mario World 2 was just using a game to sell a lie to consumers. It should have straight up been called Wario Land, as the other should just have been Yoshis Island. Very disappointing tactic when you're a kid on a budget and in the pre-internet days.
    Super Mario Land 2 was awesome though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You didn't notice WARIO LAND and YOSHI'S ISLAND being bigger and bolder then the Mario Land or Mario World (Yoshi Island is only called Mario World 2 in North America I think) titles?

Also Wario Land is the BEST of the GB Mario Lands. Mario Land 2 is decent, but probably objectively bad when looked at carefully.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I noticed them sure, but at the same time was not expecting a 100% fake title with the subtitle being the real game having basically nothing to do stylistically with the franchise it's aping. I thought Wario Land was terrible compared to Mario Land 2 and I did finish it and other than a little time on WL4 with a cheap cart I came across I've avoided buying the things as they're not fun to me (have played 2-3 using an emulator in the 90s.) As to the other I'm actually not a fan of Yoshis Island. I've tried to make myself like the series and each time I buy the game I rapidly lose interest and get sick of it, not bored, just sick of it. For some reason I keep the original around, probably since it was something I blew money on back when it was new, but out of no sense of nostalgic loyalty.