Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is retro gaming really all about nostalgia?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Hah no doubt, she may not have the motor skills yet, but my just turned 3 year old can kind of move along a little in Super Mario Bros and sometimes miss getting hit or she will jump on or over the goomba that shows up as 1-1 starts. If she could figure out which jumps, and the direction to go in, if an adult can't handle that, they just need to go away and pick up a book as that's a slight bit less complicated even if that goes left to right too.
    Totally. They just need to make sure and wear gloves to prevent paper cuts... and maybe should pick something with pictures to help them along and large print. You know, books are hard... maybe a cartoon with a big red dog first as a primer.

I do enjoy your posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ehh I aim to please, it's more fun writing posts like that than being informative all the time.

Her first experience was maybe at a year and a half old if that. She was in my lap, me with the GB Micro playing River City Ransom. She shoved her hand in on the right side and grabbed it and mashed the hell out of the button and killed the dude and got the classic 'BARF!' line which got me laughing. Once in awhile I let her sit down with SMB1-3 and see how it goes. SMB1 and 3 are easiest, 1 the most without the map but she never gets far as she's turned 3 less than a month ago. She can also flip through a book left to right without ripping pages too, so when I saw your comment I just had to throw it in there.

You know a few posts up there, that was a good point with Beetlejuice. It's a game from around 1990, and even if it is roughly 25 years old, copyrights and licensing dates mean nothing. A new game can be 30 years old, or 3000 years old if you never played it before so for you it's new. Some years ago people rediscovered the old Pharoah dynasty era game of Senet from Egypt, they produce it again in specialty game shops and online. It maybe thousands of years old, but if I ever bought it and tried it, it's new to me and I have no nostalgic feeling of running a dynasty, keeping slaves, and barking at the sun and moon between a few dozen gods or so.