Thread: Unique PSP Games

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Unique PSP Games

I've been looking around for a while for unique PSP games, and I'm coming up a bit short. There are just so many ports, remixes, and remasterings that it's hard to find stuff that is unique only to the PSP and still good. Anyone have any opinions? I already have Every Extend Extra. What else is out there?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Metal Gear Ac!d is a unique game that gets a ton of hate but is a pretty good game and very unique for Metal Gear.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You say ports, remasters, and remixes, so what exactly do you mean by "unique." Do you mean new games or do you actually mean unique games? Not really too many unique games on the system, not really too many unique games on any recent system honestly. A couple unique ones imo.

Half Minute Hero, later released on the 360 and PC. Half Minute Hero 2 has released on PSP in Japan only, later on PC with a versus mode and includes a create a map mode so you can create your own levels. Hero mode is the main mode and while it takes the look and gameplay of an RPG, although underneath it's also sort of a bit of a puzzle game with the time limit aspect. There are 50 maps in the first game and although the pace of the game allows you to complete these maps very quickly, the size of them gives a feeling of satisfaction similar to the feelings you'd get after completing a section of a traditional RPG.

Pursuit Force 1 and 2 are unique racing games with a few other aspects. Think of Just Cause without the parachute mixed with Burnout, add a buddy cop storyline with cheesy super criminals and you've got the Pursuit Force games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You mean system exclusives? Not sure what the point of that would be, as a good game is a good game, but you might enjoy reading roundups of PSPware in this format ...

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=161351

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You say ports, remasters, and remixes, so what exactly do you mean by "unique."
    I don't want ports, remasters, or remixes. I'm trying to find games not only that are exclusive to the PSP, but are't some variant of another game (so technically Medieval PSP is a remixed version and different from the original and therefore an exclusive, but it's not at all unique to it, it's just a remix). Maybe original and exclusive I should have used instead? Though Half Minute Hero is fine because it came to PSP first. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I liked Gurumin when I had that and Popolocrois. I agree with Half Minute Hero too. MGS Peacewalker debuted on that hardware, also was the game the industry used as a good reason to dump the PSP greatly too because Konami raised a stink that as far as they could investigate it was warez downloaded like 2-3x as much as legit copies sold.

Some other games perhap they are franchise titles, but still started on or are still unique to the hardware too lke the MGS game -- FF7 Crisis Core, both God of War games, not sure if this is fair but as far as Us releases only Dracula X came out here on disc on PSP, the two GTA side story titles, Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman, and both Loco Roco and Patapon games are a must.

I really loved this little handheld from Sony when I had it. I just only got rid of it because Sony more or less ran out of support outside of foofy jrpgs after the peacewalker debacle. Also if youwish to import Macross is awesome, a true flight combat game that works.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    I don't want ports, remasters, or remixes. I'm trying to find games not only that are exclusive to the PSP, but are't some variant of another game (so technically Medieval PSP is a remixed version and different from the original and therefore an exclusive, but it's not at all unique to it, it's just a remix). Maybe original and exclusive I should have used instead? Though Half Minute Hero is fine because it came to PSP first. Thanks for the suggestions so far!
    In that case, there are a lot of games.

Gurumin and Popolocrois were mentioned, and technically they're exclusive as long as you live in the west.

-Crimson Gem Saga is a classic style RPG. It's got a pretty high difficulty, but it's reasonable enough that unless you're trying to finish the extra bosses, you don't have to grind too much.

- Brave Story New Traveler. Another classic style RPG. Not as difficult as the above, but not mindless easy difficulty. Both are good, but this one is a little easier and more accessible.

-Dissidia and Dissidia Duodecim. I'd recommend not even bothering with the first one since the second one includes everything the first game does, although the story mode is played differently(although the same terrible story.) The storyline is awful and I'd highly recommending turning cutscenes off. Dissidia and Dissidia Duodecim are fighting games with Final Fantasy characters. You can level the characters from 1-100 and as the characters level up they gain new attacks, new skills, and gain stats. You can equip equipment, accessories, summon spells that can be used once per battle, and on Duodecim only, an assist character. The game has a massive amount of fanservice, down to the very menus that you scroll through, the 100+ songs that play while you combat your opponent, or the icon you choose for yourself that ranges from characters, enemies, or objects(like Airships) ranging from the first game all the way up to one of the more recent.

-Field Commander. Sony's version of Advance Wars.

-Gundam Battle Tactics, Royale, Chronicle, and Universe. Like the above, there's no reason to get any game in the series except Gundam Battle Universe as it includes all the content from the rest of the games and then some. There's Assault Survive, but it changes mechanics for the worse. Gundam Battle Universe you create a mobile suit pilot and choose your allegiance as either a Federation or a Zeon pilot and play through 0079 missions. After finishing the final battle of the one year war, the game will give you a choice to switch allegiances as you progress through 0083, 0087, 0088, and 0093. The allegiances depend on what side on the missions you fight or different missions, how the overall mission will progress, and what kind of mobile suits you'll acquire. Over 200 mobile suits and over 150 different missions. The game has a sort of RPG aspect added to it so you can complete the same missions over and over and you'll receive upgrade points to put into many different aspects of the mobile suit you use whether it's powering up the different weapon categories, or powering up your mobile suit with quicker movement speed without thrusters, faster thruster movement speed, higher jumps, more HP, more defense, etc. Gundam Battle Royale is the most English friendly as all the menus were in English, but Universe doesn't have the menu's in English, but the most important stuff outside the menus which you'll memorize once you play the game and test them out are in English so it's still a very English friendly game. After watching the trailer of Gundam Battle Royale back in 2006, I preordered the game and purchased my PSP after receiving it. Because of how much I liked the game, I preordered Chronicles and preordered Universe as they were announced. Amazing games with a lot of content. Here's a Youtube video of the Gundam Battle Royale trailer that sold me on the series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP_vJRBrG-Q

-Phantasy Star Portable 2. Plays in the same style of the Universe games, it's a third person Diablo esque action RPG.

-Prinny 1 and 2. Platformers starring the Prinny race from Disgaea. The game is actually one of the best platformers I've played. It's difficult, but it's also very well designed. The physics are similar to controlling a Belmont in the early Castlevania where your jump has one specific range, but it does have a few differences. You can double jump, although like the first jump, the jump distance and location will be locked. Your Prinny can do a spin which allows him invunerability after charging up and t hen you can let the spin go to do a dash, allowing for a longer jump or a slide(which also gives a small amount of invulnerability.) The ground pound, stolen from Yoshi, and can be used to land earlier than where your jump will direct you. And quick ground slashes or knives tossed diagonal down in the air.

-Wild ARMs XF. The game has the best class customization in any TRPG to date, but there is one issue with the game that doesn't make it as good as it could have been. A pretty major issue honestly. So there are 16 classes that everyone can use with one exclusive class for each main character. Each class has originals, OG, which give them four skills/spells to use, and six different innate abilities. Every character has three slots that they can equip a class OG/abilities to, each OG costs two points, while an innate ability costs one. Every 10 levels gives the character an extra slot. You can look and see what classes have what abilities at what level and what skills they have under their OG so you can plan how you're going to level the character. With this information, I'd recommend looking at a class guide just to see what skills there are and you'll see just how much potential this game has for cross customization between classes.

There are some poorly designed stages in the game, one of the worst designed is near the beginning of the game, but for the most part the game has well designed stages, even with the massive flaw I've yet to point out. The flaw that the game has however, the games biggest issue, is that when enemies move towards a player character, they move as close as they can get "literally." The enemy doesn't take into consideration that they're on the top of a cliff or behind a wall(that's long enough they can't circle around in one go.) The enemy will not move around an object if its ending location is further away. If they're one space away from you, they'll end turn and wait at that location. Now most of the stages are developed in a way so that this doesn't matter as enemies on most stages don't start to move until the player is at a closer proximity or they'll usually be able to get around an object in a single turn. It's still a good game, but it's a very noticeable and grating issue imo.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Patapon: It's a somewhat unique rhythm game.

Jikandia-The promised Land: It's an action rpg developed by Idea Factory. It's exclusive t0 the PSP.

Jeanne d'Arc: It's an exclusive tactical RPG for the PSP.

Valkyria Chronicles II: The second chapter to the exclusive PS3 title.

Aedis EclipsE - Generation of Chaos: It's another Idea Factory turn-based strategy game that's exclusive to the PSP.

The 3rd Birthday: It's a 3rd person role-playing shooter published by Square-Enix.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 11-15-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    I already have Every Extend Extra.
    You do realize that's an enhanced port of a freeware PC game, right..?

Patapon is sort of unique, and some people seem to like LocoRoco. Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! has its fans, too.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 11-17-2014 at 11:23 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Loco Roco was amazing, both games, actually. Really weird, creative 2D platformer, with some of the most original control mechanics ever.

I also loved Little Big Planet for this system, it turned me on to this series, it's a completely original game from the PS3 games, it's a must-play game for this system. Real simple, creative, unique 2D platformer. With some elements of 3D, I guess, cuz u move back in space a lot onto platforms that are on a level behind urs, but it's a sidescroller. And a good one, real laid-back, interesting puzzles, real fantastic.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    You do realize that's an enhanced port of a freeware PC game, right..?
    I do now!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

psp was amazing but it did seem to end with nothing but JRPGs! I liked chili con carnage among many others