Thread: Scud: The Disposable Assassin-NES Action Set connection

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Scud: The Disposable Assassin-NES Action Set connection

I love the comic Scud: The Disposable Assassin. I also love the NES Action set I got for Christmas in 1987. Now, when I was little, my brother and I would play 2 player Super Mario Bros. on the combination cart w/Duck Hunt. When it wasn't my turn, I always would grab the Zapper and pretend I was laying down cover fire for my brother against the Goombas and so on.

In reviews I've read of the Saturn Scud game, I've only seen mentioned that the game can be played as either a first person light gun game or as a sidescroller. This omits two other modes though. First, there is a one player with two guns mode that is awesome to play. More important is the other, a two player mode in which one player controls Scud in the sidescrolling stages while player2 lays down cover fire with a light gun.

Not only can you do this, but there are two modes for the option: one where cover fire kills enemies, and one where it freezes them. I thought it was amazing that this was not only possible, but is a well-realized way to play the game. It reminded me of those NES days, and it just felt like something that should have been done more.

Over the years it's been my favorite way to play the game, and I think more people would enjoy it or at least give it a try if they knew about it. The game costs next to nothing, is based on an awesome license, and has a fun soundtrack and bonus comedy tracks if you put it in a CD player from the Dead Alewives, who most people know best for the Dungeons and Dragons geeks in the hidden video on Summoner for PS2.

Just thought I'd put it out there in case someone else might enjoy this like I did.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Wow, I never knew all that existed in this game. Thanks for sharing!