Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Default Your Most Spoiled Game Moment

Um, obviously this topic may contain spoilers.

Okay, you avoided all of the post release press on a game you had anticipated enjoying and someone still managed to spoil major story elements for you. Please share your moments of annoyance.

I'm going to start off with my personal most spoiled moment which has become the poster child of spoiled moments in gaming. Final Fantasy 7.

I was reading a preview article about Final Fantasy 8 (at avault.com) which for some stupid reason decided to refer to and spoil major events in Final Fantasy 7. I wrote a pretty annoyed e-mail to the brain fart editor (damn you, Emil) who responded that they considered FF7 to have been out long enough that anyone reading the FF8 article "should've" already played FF7. (Which I could understand if there were any continuity in the series).

Of course, they had neglected to consider that it had just come out for the PC, which is what I was playing it on. I had only gotten 10 hours into it. I never went back to it on the PC. (and after all the f*****g trouble I'd had getting it to run, too.)

I did play it through a few years later when I got my PSX (my first console since the 2600) and enjoyed the game despite knowing about the spoiler. I was NOT moved at the appropriate moment though, and I count myself cheated.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, I can see both sides. Games that start on one platform and move to another are exceptions to the 'game has been out' rule. How long was it between the article and when the PC game came out?

Let me guess -- the topic in FF7 was about Aeris.

I also do a good job of avoiding spoilers.....I think the most recent one was when I finally got Front Mission 3 about two years ago, picked a storyline mission, started playing it, wanted to get help on a mission, so I asked a friend about the game.

"Oh, which version of the stage? The storyline where several people die at the end?"

AUGH!

Turns out I had picked Emma's storyline, the 'sad' ending. Since the mission is so long, I did'nt feel like playing the other one for about a year. Oh well.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Well, I can see both sides. Games that start on one platform and move to another are exceptions to the 'game has been out' rule. How long was it between the article and when the PC game came out?
    I honestly don't remember and I can't find the article on their site anymore. It was given away in such an inane statement, too, something like "we asked the developers if there were going to be dramatically shocking moments [in FF8] like in FF7 when Sepheroth murdered Aerith." Did he HAVE to say that? Did it add any weight to his question? That could have been made spoiler free effortlessly. (of course, this is my memory of it, and my memory is as palimpsestual as they come. Is that even a word?)

I do see your point and since then I've become much more careful about what I read since I'm usually behind in what I'm playing. But I'll never forget my dissappointment that first time and I carry a deep deep hatred in my heart that burns me everytime I draw breath.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I found out that the new NHL Hitz was going to be 5 on 5, and have penaltys.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I don't think I've ever really cared about spoilers in a game, but I'm not the type of person who plays a game for a storyline anyway (I can very rarely tolerate an RPG because it doesn't allow me to get instant gaming gratification like a twitch game). I really don't see the big deal about spoilers, because if the rest of the package is rounded out sufficiently the spoiler doesn't ruin that much.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about any Mario game. Even if its not spoiled I bet you know the ending

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone who played Mega Man 2 probably remembers that the final boss could only be killed by one type of weapon. Half the fun of this climactic battle came from experimenting with your entire arsenal and finding out that the weapon you needed had the worst range.

The day before I reached Dr. Wily, some kid at school told me all about the final boss. And even the ending. At that point, I think I decided not to care about spoilers. So I didn't really mind when I heard about the major twist in Final Fantasy VII.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.