Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash cart only collection?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Yeah no doubt. That was kind of my fault with the powerpak. Two things turned me off to that. The annoying as hell way save/loading works on it for battery games along with the crusty menu, but the big one is that I found an old CD I had of every legit release from the US market on there along with unique JP, JP-FDS, and PAL titles. That CF card was loaded and then some.
    Kinda off-topic question.

I own the Super Everdrive and i been playing quite a lot of the games that no way in hell ill be able to afford at a good price, but......

is there any fear to breaking something by playing PAL games?, like Tin Head or the official PAL translations of that Twin Bee game on SFC or Terranigma in spanish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No it shouldn't break anything. I don't remember hearing anything about stuff breaking and I'd think unless there's some oddity in the coding you shouldn't even need to patch them to work. I remember seeing people just placing the existing PAL game on a board with an NTSC region chip and functioning fine as a 'repro' bootleg.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

PAL games should run on an NTSC console without damaging it (assuming the game doesn't run its own lockout, I don't know if flashcarts will try to defeat it). They'll just be a bit glitchy, like running at the wrong speed.
    I've run a few PAL NES games on my toploader with no damage (just the expected glitches).
    Last edited by SparTonberry; 11-20-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If a pal game is programmed to run at 50hz then you will have problems,just depends on the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

But it won't hurt anything. Playing or attempting to run European code on a North American SuperNes isn't going to cause any damage.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I've run a few PAL NES games on my toploader with no damage (just the expected glitches).
    In my experience, pal games seem to work fine on toploaders but do not work on the original nintendo systems.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Toploaders lack a lockout chip,front loaders have a lockout chip but can be easily disabled.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    PAL games should run on an NTSC console without damaging it (assuming the game doesn't run its own lockout, I don't know if flashcarts will try to defeat it). They'll just be a bit glitchy, like running at the wrong speed.
    I played through Terranigma on a SNES PowerPak, on a US SNES console, but I believe the ROM was patched for NTSC use.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do my SNES gaming 100 percent on an original hardware but with a Super Everdrive. I made this jump earlier this year and sold off my 50 SNES carts and kept the 3 I bought in high school.

I have a NES Everdrive but close to 150 carts. It's getting harder and harder to find places for them, but I do like collecting them and I have bunch from when I was or a kid, or that friends had that I have some sentimental attachment to so I don't think I could sell those.

I have 150 Genesis carts. This takes up a lot of space and it's really not that much compared to some collectors out there. I do not have an Everdrive for the Genesis. But I'm thinking about picking one up. But as with the NES I some attachment to the Genesis carts and I could never see myself selling them all off.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a collection as extensive as his but I share his feelings so much. I know that auction he speaks of didn't go through tons of people just saw that it sold for that much and it was listed on ebay as a completed auction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvUx...Nd7gn98Lvl0_lA
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't blame that guy one bit and I don't watch youtube stuff. I bet you anything before I scroll down you'll have some jerks insulting him saying he's an entitled brat that needs to pay up or go away. You know since that's the best defense to the abuses. Pay up like a twit or leave.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"i didn't even watched your video, and i find it really funny to see the title of you complaining it's too expensive, when you're showing off your extremely rare extremely expensive stuff on your channel, i'll go with my own, cliché, inevitable answer: Cry some more!"

One of the top comments on there. The guy has been collecting for a long time too and is super nice and level headed in his reviews. The mentality of some collectors is maddening. Gamster81 even makes homebrew games so he knows what he is talking about.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I let it run while I wrote that and listened in the background. He is right, the fun of collecting is dead, but at least the games are fun. There are so few pockets left of I guess 'resistance' that remain where you can still go out on a weekend morning, hit flea markets or craigslist locals and find stuff that is priced where most other areas predators would have picked up in moments to sell for the highest dollar. The land of cheap and plenty is pretty much shot when a game that came out less than after the SNES was on the market for a year goes for like $500 when he made that and I think it's now $800 roughly 6mo-9mo later and that's just sad. It won't be before long the cart goes for the quoted value of that CIB he spoke of around $1100. It's just not right but what can you do other than steal ROMS and run them on emulators or flash kits because paying someone that kind of cash is just insane because bad overpriced buys like that add to it. It's the ripple effect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Speaking of flash carts, I just found out about the "MSU-1" chip for SNES games that can be played on SD2SNES. It allows games to be patched with "CD music" and FMV, as if the SNES CD system was real.

Check this out http://youtu.be/v788KslHvbU

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post
    I have 150 Genesis carts. This takes up a lot of space and it's really not that much compared to some collectors out there. I do not have an Everdrive for the Genesis. But I'm thinking about picking one up. But as with the NES I some attachment to the Genesis carts and I could never see myself selling them all off.
    I couldn't see myself selling my Genny carts or my SMS carts for that matter either. Personally, I have no interest in the Everdrive but to each his own.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is not an issue of space or time but of price. I won't spend hundreds of dollars for one game. I will still look for games and buy the ones I want that are reasonable on price. It is tough to say a game is hard to find when it takes two seconds on ebay and a fat enough wallet.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ill find the "paradox" mind blowing

Buying a Flashcart and load it with roms is BAD and should be frown upon, and you are a thief and scum and not a "real retro gamer", but paying retarded prices and shoving the "supply and demand" excuse to people's throats and being a predatory re-seller who is just in for the "get rich quick" and do scummy acts on Ebay to the point that is not worth nor safe to bid in auctions (specially in US auctions) due to the tricks, and the shill-bidders and snipers and all that other crap that is just there to trick people, all of that is A-OK to the game community?

I would gladly buy a game that i already have loaded in my Super Everdrive if i can find it cheap or reasonable, but since its pretty much impossible in most parts these days (even in my country), well all i can say is....

Just let me play Clock Tower and Magical PopN in english without having to prostitute myself PLEASE!

Now this is my SNES case tough..........NES on the other hand.

Should i get the Everdrive N8 even if there's 70 games left that i can play, even if i already own over 100 including famicom ones, (and mine actually has a unique selection and yes, i am a happy owner of games raging from uncommon to legit rare), because i got my Super everdrive because buying SNES games was a chore for me, (i only own 22 :P).
    Last edited by Gatucaman; 11-22-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kai and gautica posts there really hit it. Somehow its naughty and disgusting to own and use a flash kit because it is a form of robbery, but it is totally ok to have a non rare game with dozens of copies online where everyone colludes to make it many hundreds of dollars more than it really is worth just to poach some impatient fools wallet a lot thinner and thats ok. Really both of them arent and both are a form of screwing someone else. Yet thats ok to the gaming community, just like it is being a complete dick calling warez on a new chip on a new board or cannibalized board and calling it a fucking reproduction is totally acceptable too despite its straight up theft. Theyre all wrong, equally so, but people like to pick and choose what is ok to suit their needs.

Of the group I blame the flash kit users the least since most the stuff is just unobtainable to play on a legit system anymore for a reasonable price if it has some infamous notoriety behind it like your Samsons and Earthbound type stuff as they dont belong in the same rare cluster of games with a low print like Aerofighters does. Those kits can also run homebrew and other junk too so they do have their up side. The warez on a cart as a repro serves a purpose too but it would be great if people would stop lying about it being warez and being hyporcites about it. Now the wallet rape, theres no good reason other than greed and serves noone but the colluder any good on that stuff because it doesnt needto be that high, it just got there through manipulation of enough suckers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Gatucaman View Post
    Ill find the "paradox" mind blowing

Buying a Flashcart and load it with roms is BAD and should be frown upon, and you are a thief and scum and not a "real retro gamer", but paying retarded prices and shoving the "supply and demand" excuse to people's throats and being a predatory re-seller who is just in for the "get rich quick" and do scummy acts on Ebay to the point that is not worth nor safe to bid in auctions (specially in US auctions) due to the tricks, and the shill-bidders and snipers and all that other crap that is just there to trick people, all of that is A-OK to the game community?
    Just out of curiosity, how is this a paradox? The first part is just a 'no true scottsman' fallacy. The 2nd part is just an opinion that is separate from the first part. They don't contradict each other.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't really see the logic in having only flash carts, if you're going that route might as well just get a modded newer console or emulation box + adapters to use the original controllers, you can get an ouya and a half dozen usb controller adapters for the price of one flash cart + basically every game you wanna play will run on it

Getting a flash cart to play hacks, homebrew, translations, & games you can't afford on the original hardware makes sense but it doesn't really replace a collection, in addition to that if you plan to buy the games that can't play on a flash cart most of the games that won't run on a flash cart are the most expensive ones

For NES players/collectors a flash cart is kind of a waste because theirs like maybe 5 games worth playing that'll cost you more than a flash cart & most games are a fraction of the price of a flash cart, for SNES I can see the logic because for whatever reason the prices of a lot of real common games are pretty ridiculous