Thread: Is Dragon Age Inquisition any good?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Dragon Age Inquisition any good?

After being burned by Destiny, I am wary of literally anything coming out lately. That being said, I am a sucker for a good RPG, and Dragon Age Inquisition looks pretty damn good. I trust you people, and I was wondering: is this game any good? I've never played a party based RPG before, and I wanted more of a personal opinion than a review.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've been playing it for about a week now, and I really like it. The map is littered with quests to do and places to explore in whichever order you want. The combat is almost like a slower version of diablo, where you hold the main attack button and use special attacks as they become available. I bought mine for the xbox one, and the graphics look great. I'd say its a mix of elder scrolls and diablo 3 in a way, and makes me keep coming back to play more.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I've been playing it for about a week now, and I really like it. The map is littered with quests to do and places to explore in whichever order you want. The combat is almost like a slower version of diablo, where you hold the main attack button and use special attacks as they become available. I bought mine for the xbox one, and the graphics look great. I'd say its a mix of elder scrolls and diablo 3 in a way, and makes me keep coming back to play more.
    I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan; so it will keep me coming back just as much as Oblivion and Skyrim did?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I prefer Elder Scrolls myself. I wouldn't go as far to say its as good as those games, but there is a ton of quests to do, and random quests to stumble upon while you traverse through the game. I'd say there is enough content that it makes me want to keep playing, and beefing up my characters. I'd say if you like Skyrim, chances are you will be happy with this game. I read the review on IGN that says it took them 90 hrs to beat the game, and they still hadn't done/seen everything the game has to offer.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I prefer Elder Scrolls myself. I wouldn't go as far to say its as good as those games, but there is a ton of quests to do, and random quests to stumble upon while you traverse through the game. I'd say there is enough content that it makes me want to keep playing, and beefing up my characters. I'd say if you like Skyrim, chances are you will be happy with this game. I read the review on IGN that says it took them 90 hrs to beat the game, and they still hadn't done/seen everything the game has to offer.
    That's crazy. I guess I've never really played a "party based" RPG; I usually prefer the elder scrolls "lone badass" type. However, I may have to give this a shot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

you technically don't even have to play as the other characters unless you need to use arrows or magic that some characters use in battle. Or you may have to use a certain character to pick locks, or toggle magicly sealed type stuff. Otherwise, you can almost play through the whole game with one character (still need to equip gear to other characters as well).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've never played Dragon Age Inquisition, but I've been following it and I could tell before launch and the high review scores that it'd be a good game. I'm getting a PS4 on Black Friday specifically for this game. Sure I can play it on PC, I can play it on PS3, but I want to own a retail copy of the game that I can play 20 years from now that doesn't look like ass.

Gameplay is like a mix between the first Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2. Or if you haven't played those, a mix between MMO games and Diablo or Kingdoms of Amalur. You have full control over your character but you don't attack the speed of which you do on Diablo and cast spell after spell or skill after skill. All attacks seem to have quite a bit of weight to them and special skills have cool down times, so it's an RPG that is a little action based. The gameplay also allows for the player to play the game in an overhead strategy style, much like Baldur's Gate, Warcraft, etc, controlling the allies commands and then pausing the action on screen to redirect orders whenever you want.

Imo, the Elder Scrolls games are meh experiences outside of the beautiful open world to explore and grinding your stats until you're a god. I really feel like it's a massively overrated series and hope that maybe Dragon Age becomes the go to open world series as it's more deserving from what I've seen. Dragon Age Inquisition actually brings good gameplay along with a beautifully developed world, one which looks like it's had far more detail put into it than any Elder Scrolls game where mostly they look randomly generated with a few detailed touches every so often. The game doesn't have just one open world, but several and each of them are fairly large, so if it's not as big as Skyrim, it's close to that size if you combine all of the maps.

There's a lot of different developer gameplay videos prior to the games released. Here's one of the first ones showing off the world, combat, then ending with a battle against one of the dragons. You can also find multiplayer videos as well. Multiplayer is a completely separate component where you and three other friends go through a randomized set of five dungeons killing enemies, getting gold, etc, then leveling up at the end, increase your stats, purchasing treasure boxes for potions/weapons/armor, then going through another 20-30 minute multiplayer campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNe6kqXk1j8
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-25-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man, I wish my local Redbox had next-gen games.

I'd definitely try this game out and check it out.

I had this EA Access thing on Xbox One for awhile, but my membership expired 1 day before I could have done a 6 hour trial on Dragon Age. It sucks that I missed it by one day...

My biggest concern is whether I'd actually like the combat or not.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

This game is almost intimidatingly huge. The first area you have access to is about a quarter of the size of fallout 3's map by itself and there are a shitload of other areas to explore. Combat like kupo mentioned already is somewhat of a hybrid between dragon age 1 and 2. I do kind of wish I had a bit more control over my party members actions like I did in dragon age origins but I'll take what I can get, it's still a lot more tactical than dragon age 2 was at least.

It has a really good and interesting story and probably my favorite companion characters in the series. If you're into western RPGs even a little bit, you owe it to yourself to get this game.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you actually control the action of your character, or do you pick a skill/attack/spell and the game does it automatically?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    Do you actually control the action of your character, or do you pick a skill/attack/spell and the game does it automatically?
    I think you can do either / or . But I have a feeling that the action version might be kinda lackluster...

I need to try a demo, or get it for $30 or something

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've played about an hour of Inquisition's single player then jumped on and tried multiplayer.

Multiplayer I've put in about 10 hours or so. I always seem to gravitate towards the low tier characters and with the assassin, I've prestiged twice and I'm on level 15 with the class now. I know what my build is going to be now, but I've noticed one of its skills in the assassination skill set has 266% damage instead of 200%. It was one of the skills I planned to have in my first build until I found it wasn't really that great outside of the no cooldown time after a kill, but then I saw that it had more damage percent and I think it's because of my two prestiges. I'm going to prestige again to see if it increases again. Not sure what the max it can increase to, but if it does, then I'll have to work my build back around. There are two ways I see that you can build the assassin though. The third, poison, is garbage.

In multiplayer, you can start as legionnaire, archer, or keeper. To unlock additional classes you need to acquire their armor by either creating it or receiving it as a drop. Items are randomized. Purchase a small, medium, or large chest and you'll get a certain amount of potions and a certain amount of items. The percentage that you get these items are the exact same regardless which chest you get, regardless if you find them in the dungeons, etc. This adds a lot of replay value as you're searching for the best equipment even if you've got a level 20 character.

I'm really enjoying what I've played even if it's barely been anything but multiplayer.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I've played about an hour of Inquisition's single player then jumped on and tried multiplayer.

Multiplayer I've put in about 10 hours or so. I always seem to gravitate towards the low tier characters and with the assassin, I've prestiged twice and I'm on level 15 with the class now. I know what my build is going to be now, but I've noticed one of its skills in the assassination skill set has 266% damage instead of 200%. It was one of the skills I planned to have in my first build until I found it wasn't really that great outside of the no cooldown time after a kill, but then I saw that it had more damage percent and I think it's because of my two prestiges. I'm going to prestige again to see if it increases again. Not sure what the max it can increase to, but if it does, then I'll have to work my build back around. There are two ways I see that you can build the assassin though. The third, poison, is garbage.

In multiplayer, you can start as legionnaire, archer, or keeper. To unlock additional classes you need to acquire their armor by either creating it or receiving it as a drop. Items are randomized. Purchase a small, medium, or large chest and you'll get a certain amount of potions and a certain amount of items. The percentage that you get these items are the exact same regardless which chest you get, regardless if you find them in the dungeons, etc. This adds a lot of replay value as you're searching for the best equipment even if you've got a level 20 character.

I'm really enjoying what I've played even if it's barely been anything but multiplayer.
    That's cool to hear that the "secondary" mode is that engrossing.

My second question is this: has anyone created a character that goes without a party?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

So I've played a bit more of the multiplayer and seven hours of the single player and now I feel disappointed with the game.

The multiplayer is still the best part of the game but after about 15 hours I'm done with it. After trying out other classes, I see how bad the balancing issues between classes are and it pretty much killed off my interest to put any more time into the multiplayer. The multiplayer only has three areas you repeatedly go through anyways and my entire time playing I've had four unique weapons, so it's slow progressing getting a good set of items.

The single player there's a simple answer to why I dislike it though. Dragon Age Inquisition is like a mix of all the things I don't like about Elder Scrolls and it doesn't even include some things I do like about it. The change in gameplay from Dragon Age Origins worked well in the multiplayer game, but it's just bland and boring in the single player. Probably because the gameplay isn't very good at all, but when going through the game with three other people, it makes it a bit enjoyable. You can use the over the head view, but the problem in this game is that you're never going to be put into a position that uses it well enough, or atleast I haven't been outside of the tutorial boss and I'm playing on nightmare. The game just seems to be multiple overworlds filled with fetch quests, main quests that have poorly developed story, side conversations that are repetitive and boring, and a gameplay system that tries to be something else(Diablo) and becoming an overall disappointment because of it.

I know above putting pretty much no time in single player and playing and prestiging a few classes in multiplayer I recommended the game but disregard that. I'm pretty disappointed with my purchase, especially when this was the game that I was interested in enough, the game that I got the PS4 for in the first place.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    So I've played a bit more of the multiplayer and seven hours of the single player and now I feel disappointed with the game.

The multiplayer is still the best part of the game but after about 15 hours I'm done with it. After trying out other classes, I see how bad the balancing issues between classes are and it pretty much killed off my interest to put any more time into the multiplayer. The multiplayer only has three areas you repeatedly go through anyways and my entire time playing I've had four unique weapons, so it's slow progressing getting a good set of items.

The single player there's a simple answer to why I dislike it though. Dragon Age Inquisition is like a mix of all the things I don't like about Elder Scrolls and it doesn't even include some things I do like about it. The change in gameplay from Dragon Age Origins worked well in the multiplayer game, but it's just bland and boring in the single player. Probably because the gameplay isn't very good at all, but when going through the game with three other people, it makes it a bit enjoyable. You can use the over the head view, but the problem in this game is that you're never going to be put into a position that uses it well enough, or atleast I haven't been outside of the tutorial boss and I'm playing on nightmare. The game just seems to be multiple overworlds filled with fetch quests, main quests that have poorly developed story, side conversations that are repetitive and boring, and a gameplay system that tries to be something else(Diablo) and becoming an overall disappointment because of it.

I know above putting pretty much no time in single player and playing and prestiging a few classes in multiplayer I recommended the game but disregard that. I'm pretty disappointed with my purchase, especially when this was the game that I was interested in enough, the game that I got the PS4 for in the first place.
    Keep playing it, the game is pretty mediocre until you leave haven, you really haven't done or seen anything if all you've played is a few of the opening hours.

I'm at around 105 hours in, there's alot I dislike about the game but there are still a lot of things I do like. The story honestly feels like mass effect 2 in structure if not in scope. That is to say it's basically an assemble your team, make them loyal to you, then fight the boss. It also borrows the form allegiances mechanic from mass effect 3 but the story comes nowhere near dragon age origins yet it's still way better than dragon age 2. If you beat dragon age 2 then it's kind of messed up you wouldn't give dragon age inquisition, a superior game in most categories the same attention
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone attempted to solo this game?