Thread: So, what exactly is the big deal about non-greatest hits games?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So, what exactly is the big deal about non-greatest hits games?

I understand people like to have the black label games more because they look better on a shelf, but beyond that, I don't know why people are so anal about this. Lotsa my PS1 games are greatest hits, and I don't think they're worth any less then the black-label versions. Plus, they're the EXACT SAME GAME. I don't get it.

There's actually a collector on Youtube going for a complete PS1 greatest hits collection, and as a kid I remember trying to get games that were greatest hits, cuz chances are those were the best games. I just don't see why people are so hung up on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Closest thing to a 'first print run' vs 'reprint' distinction video games have. Its a bit dumb I agree, and in truth many Greatest Hit releases can be rarer then their original counterpart (I think a game had to sell at least 1 million copies for a 'greatest hits' release anyway. So there are a few copies out there)
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Closest thing to a 'first print run' vs 'reprint' distinction video games have. Its a bit dumb I agree, and in truth many Greatest Hit releases can be rarer then their original counterpart (I think a game had to sell at least 1 million copies for a 'greatest hits' release anyway. So there are a few copies out there)
    Final Fantasy 7 greatest hits is rarer then the black label.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I think people like them better because of how they look on the shelf. I personally don't care unless the greatest hits version comes with all thE DLC on the disk in which case I will purposely look for it.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

There's at least one case I've heard of--Gran Turismo 2--where the GH is actually superior because it corrects bugs that were present in the first release.

Some others also include additional content. Later releases of Resident Evil 2 (and, on the PS2, Silent Hill 2's GH includes the Restless Dreams scenario) for example.

I can understand wanting black labels for aesthetic or nostalgic reasons, but if your intent is to play, then get whatever you can find.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

People like having the original version, same with Re-releases on the nes,snes and genesis, the majesco releases are next to worthless for snes/genesis. GH,PC and Classic series are great if you just want to play the game, but I totally get it from a collecting point of view, you want the first version, which tends to be harder to find and mean more to most people. me? I collect all variants and am pretty happy with any, but I prefer the first releases every time.

Funny enough the GH version of SOTN is inferior, the two removed familars are completely unobtainable in the GH version, where you could use a gameshark to access them in the original release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Two reasons. One is some of us just have to have first runs of certain things, such as games and books. It's like first-printings on books. Same as systems and games. When I was looking for a PS1, I posted here asking what was the original box. I didn't want a variation.

The second reason is that many will correct bugs. I want to see the original game the way it was when it was released, bugs and all. Making a few tweets and calling it a "Greatest Hit" is like all the special editions George Lucas did to the original Star Wars trilogy.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't think I'd compare bugfixes to a George Lucas Special Edition.
    Bugs usually aren't part of the intended gameplay. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I don't think I'd compare bugfixes to a George Lucas Special Edition.
    Bugs usually aren't part of the intended gameplay. :P
    Well, imagine if they took out all the bugs in Super Mario Bros. with a "Greatest Hits" version on the NES. It would have ruined many amazing parts about the game. I know that's an extreme case of cool bugs, but still.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post
    It really shouldn't matter.

My copy of Revenge of Shinobi is from the "classic series" or whatever Sega called those rereleases of some of the original games. I don't care what it looks like on a shelf. For one, I have some games on a shelf and some in drawers so I really don't have a shrine that I stare at. Secondly, I collect Genesis games and there are a lot of weird colored boxes so there's really no uniformity.

My goal has always been to play the games. When I start caring what the carts or boxes look like then I need to find something better to do with my time.
    With Revenge of Shinobi there's a bit more than just box variants, they altered the game a few times with changing various sprites for enemies and bosses. The original version of the game is quite different from the later releases. For actually playing the game, it makes a difference to which version you own. Personally I haven't found the original version yet, I'm still hoping to come across one eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Yup parasites alright. The same thing has now occurred with Retro City Rampage DX for PS4. The company made just 2000 physical releases of it, and it went for $25+4 shipping (I got one.) There are jerks online now trying to harm people who wanted it they cut them out of by selling it on ebay and the desperate are paying between $130-200 for it new with the pack-in fangamer zip bag with the extra little goodies. It's despicable.
    Just wait 20 years, with only 2000 copies made this title could eventually be worth 2K monies like Magical Chase and other games of similar rarities. Especially if the game is actually decent to play and not shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Two reasons. One is some of us just have to have first runs of certain things, such as games and books. It's like first-printings on books. Same as systems and games. When I was looking for a PS1, I posted here asking what was the original box. I didn't want a variation.

The second reason is that many will correct bugs. I want to see the original game the way it was when it was released, bugs and all. Making a few tweets and calling it a "Greatest Hit" is like all the special editions George Lucas did to the original Star Wars trilogy.
    There's more than just experiencing bugs and glitches, I would think more like Ocarina of Time where the later releases changed some music and graphics in the game. With bugs, I'd rather game crashing bugs to be removed in most cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh it's a decent game if you're into 80s spoofing and an overhead view kind of GTA like game. I think it'll help keep the price up due to the teeny print run. I didn't know you could even order a run that small for the PS4 and get a license to do so.