Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buyers Remorse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Buyers Remorse

I suppose this could be in the Classic Forum as well. But I was just wondering if there were any recent purchases this year or even the last couple of years that you regret (Modern or classic games)? For myself it would have to be the PS4. I love Sony but I totally got fooled by Destiny. Oh my gosh what a boring game. It really shocks me that this game is still somewhat popular. Although I didnt have people to team up with but Id still get bored eventually after the same boring mundane tasks. I know there are some games coming out next year (Persona, The Order) but then I should of just waited then. Right now Im playing Watch Dogs which isnt that bad so far. I think this is my first real regret that I ever bought, well that and Bart vs The Space Mutants on the NES...what a terrible game.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

A lot of games that are loved by others, I watch gameplay bits of it and the games seem good, but then when I get them I get bored of them and don't want to put any time into them. Or maybe series I am a fan of and the sequels are garbage.

Dishonored, Prototype 2, Soul Calibur 4, Star Ocean the Last Hope, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2(I wanted an RPG and heard this one was the good one,) Anarchy Reigns(to be fair I did enjoy it a bit at first, and hey, I only spent $5,) No More Heroes, Ni No Kuni, Disgaea 3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus(the framerate issues,) Armored Core 5(I love this series but AC5 is garbage,) Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call(I got suckered in with more characters, more music, and the quest mode when I didn't really like the gameplay all that much,) etc, etc, etc.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Didn't think of this earlier. When I purchased the 3DS, a week later the 3DS XL was announced. I bought the 3DS XL a little bit later, and a bit ago the New 3DS XL has been announced. The 3DS has only been out for three years. Buying the Vita day one for $250. Even though the 3DS has more support, there's poor support for both the 3DS and Vita in comparison to the original DS and even the PSP. The PSP seemed to have a lack of support when compared to the DS, but even it had more support than the 3DS and Vita.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

One word, one letter -- Wii U. I got fooled kind of by Destiny too, I haven't touched it in over a month, but I do like it, I'm just not motivated to play it due to the asinine lack of a lobby to talk with people to setup parties as the game is so a group experience and I can't get into one.

The Wii U is the biggest cockpunching a Nintendo owner could ever have paid for if you're not just some 1st party only loving potential apologist. I've said it before, but third parties hit all 3 companies with a rap sheet of what they want so they make games, yes even Nintendo HAD the choice of having full third party support. They said no. They had a budget, a plan (tablet), and a retail end price point and they were going to stick to it. They've also been pretty closed and cold towards developers making physical releases trying to get any help (read up on NFS Most Wanted U, they were pissed.) The system started out with promises of support and a mix of rehashed old games and new, but within the year almost all releases stopped cold, and then others abandoned them in year 2 almost entirely, even those who stuck with them (Activision, Ubisoft.) My brother the producer said the existing known games to come on disc is 80-85% of what is coming in the known future going out through 2015.

The Wii U is effectively dead if you're not just into first/second party trickle releases and eshop goodies. I blew $350 at launch on the thing and in the last year I've put 10-20 hours on it at most, and that was the FIRST one. It bricked on the 5.2 update, so the one I have now is old shell/new guts (refurb) so I'm selling it unused. I've NEVER sold an active system in what would/should be considered its prime.

I regret trusting Nintendo after what they did with the Wii as I figured with the news and lineup they'd get the promised support for going HD and that didn't happen. Going forward I will never buy another console of theirs again when it comes out. They will have to prove they've decided to stop being arrogant assholes and do what game makers want and show me the support. They seem to effectively be able to do this with the handhelds as I have a lot of 3DS games and it's a good split with a few more third than first party. At this rate I'm just done with Nintendo consoles until they give me a reason to care otherwise because Starfox is one game and one isn't enough through 2015 for me to care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Titanfall. It promised so much, delivered so little.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shadow of Mordor was big disappoint for me. I was very hyped for it but it just punched me in the gut after a few hours of doing the same thing over and over again. The nemesis is cool but not that cool. I feel like the odd man out on that game. So many people seem to just love it. It was just ok to me. I am glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Lords of the Fallen is another one that I can't stand. I am a huge fan of Dark Souls and got suckered in by the hype. I only payed $30 for it but it is worth about $10 to me.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Destiny. Three words: it sucks ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To the OP:

Regarding the PS4, I wouldn't regret purchasing that, because I'm sure you'll have tons of great gaming experiences with that machine over the next several years. Destiny might not have worked out for you, but I'm sure you'll find some other games on it that really speak to you.

Honestly, the PS4 isn't having a very good Xmas, if you just look at the exclusives. Xbox actually has a much better lineup of exclusives this Xmas. Still, the PS4 will likely have the best looking, best running version of most of the big multiplatform games. For example, Far Cry 4, GTA V, COD:AW, Dragon Age, Mordor, etc, etc, etc. All those games should look slightly better, and run slightly smoother on the PS4. So if nothing else, at least know that the multiplats run a bit better on the Sony hardware and find solace in that fact.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the last couple of years, it's mostly just been buying text-heavy imports, hoping to know Japanese well enough by now to be able to play them, but if I wanted to resell them I will have a hell of a time finding japanese-speaking gamers. I still study the language, but ones such as the visual novels, tend to not have much replay value anyway. So the reselling problem is still relevant even if I do manage to read them someday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got to agree with WCP. For those who read into my reasoning on the Wii U being my nomination, of all things I'm leaning on the PS4 now to give me what I want in a home gaming system. I'm fairly picky and a long term Nintendo buyer so the fact that I've been able so far to scrape up 5 good keepers and also Destiny too and be happy with it, along with the PS+ dual freebies a month it's hard to find a reason to hate the system as there's always something to do and it's the best supported system.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

I have a few over a lifetime of gaming but focusing on just this year it basically comes down to destiny and watchdogs.

Watchdogs not so much because I saw it for what it was a few days before release and cancelled my preorder but I still feel like I got burned since this was the main reason I got a ps4 for, i game shared it when a friend bought it, enjoyed it but most of my enjoyment came from the fact I didn't just burn 60 dollars on that shit

Destiny is a hugeeeee burn for me because I should have known better. I really wasn't excited it for it at all ever, it just looked like more halo to me but I needed something to play as I was starved for games. I played the beta and was beyond underwhelmed but I held out hope that the story would flesh out in time for release, making excuses for it since it was a beta. On release I felt almost the same exact way I did when I bought aliens colonial marines, my reaction for both was "how can this be legal?!" Why do we as gamers constantly get the rug pulled from under us with the classic bait and switch? Game was repetitive as fuck with no story or motivation to keep going forward whatsoever. That being said I still did manage to sink in maybe 30 to possibly 40 hours of gaming out of it so from an economic standpoint I definitely got my money's worth. Playing with friends is what saved it for me, otherwise I don't know wtf I would have done.

Now Since I mentioned it, aliens colonial marines. This one took out a chunk of my soul as I had literally been waiting for that game for over 5 years. I'm a huge aliens fan, used to read alien fanfic in high school, read a shit load of the comics, can quote aliens almost verbatim. When I went to check my Amazon tracking number I was shocked to see the game hadn't shipped due to me maxing out the credit card associated with my purchase. In retrospect it was probably divine intervention trying to stop me from playing that piece of garbage but instead of accepting that I went straight to best buy right after my doctors appointment to pick it up in person. I get home, eagerly unwrap it from the plastic, pop it in and boom, get hit with an install screen. Figured now was as good a time as any to check reviews and initial impressions from other gamers who were also playing it while the 5 minute install went on in the background. The look of horror on my face as I read page after page of negative comments said it all. It was like I got punched in the gut. Literally 1 minute before I still had the opportunity to go back and get a full refund, it was too late now. Far, far too late.

It wasn't simply that the game sucked, that I can handle, you take that risk with any form of popular entertainment be it movies, books or music, but this beyond just run of the mill garbage, it was a straight up lie, soylent green is people type lie. I'll never forgive gearbox for this shit, any gearbox game that comes out that I'm interested in from now on either gets bootlegged or I buy used. Suck a dick randy pitchford, you ruined 5 years of anticipation, thank god sega got their shit together with alien isolation or that franchise right now would be fucked.

Edit: oh yeah, wii u
    Last edited by LaughingMAN.S9; 11-30-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

It is very rare for me to have buyers remorse because I research games I will want before buying them so I know absolutely if its something I want or not.

The only time that fails me is if I see something evidently good in the wild that I had not heard of before, so I'll take a chance. This usually leads to good things, but for the purposes of this thread, I'll list Auto Modellista for PS2.

The game is awful. I paid $2 for it, and feel I way overpaid.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    It is very rare for me to have buyers remorse because I research games I will want before buying them so I know absolutely if its something I want or not.

The only time that fails me is if I see something evidently good in the wild that I had not heard of before, so I'll take a chance. This usually leads to good things, but for the purposes of this thread, I'll list Auto Modellista for PS2.

The game is awful. I paid $2 for it, and feel I way overpaid.
    That's how i go about it for the current gen,then i wait for the release.Then see i what others say or look at a review before buying.I rarely buy a game at it's release any more.I remember when there was hype for alien cm then it came out,it was trash to begin with.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Just curious guys...

What exactly IS the story with Aliens: Colonial Marines? I mean, I literally never heard of it until it actually came out, but now I'm hearing that it was this massively anticipated game? That kinda astonishes me. Just what exactly was it everyone was looking forward to?

As for the topic question, I honestly have this issue more often with books than games. I buy them, then they sit around, not being read, taking up shelf space... Probably my Turbo Duo would be the most recent case of Buyer's Remorse though, if only because immediately it started having issues reading the cards. A person here fixed those, but now it won't spin disks. -__- And now I'm hearing these are common problems with the Duo.

I wanted a PS3 once, but avoided getting it because buyer's remorse is precisely what I feared would happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    I have a few over a lifetime of gaming but focusing on just this year it basically comes down to destiny and watchdogs.

Watchdogs not so much because I saw it for what it was a few days before release and cancelled my preorder but I still feel like I got burned since this was the main reason I got a ps4 for, i game shared it when a friend bought it, enjoyed it but most of my enjoyment came from the fact I didn't just burn 60 dollars on that shit

Destiny is a hugeeeee burn for me ...

It wasn't simply that the game sucked, that I can handle, you take that risk with any form of popular entertainment be it movies, books or music, but this beyond just run of the mill garbage, it was a straight up lie, soylent green is people type lie. I'll never forgive gearbox for this shit, any gearbox game that comes out that I'm interested in from now on either gets bootlegged or I buy used. Suck a dick randy pitchford, you ruined 5 years of anticipation, thank god sega got their shit together with alien isolation or that franchise right now would be fucked.

Edit: oh yeah, wii u
    You know I saw that other post, I really hope you're not seriously blaming the PS4 for those dumb games. The system is the (slight edge) best hardware out there and the best support for unique games too on the market we'll get this generation from a well supported system. I get feeling down about it, Destiny got me, though I don't agree it lacks a story, it has one, but the broken lack of a lobby or way to do mission with others, worse being locked out from people in no respawn zones was unforgivable. I get eating the lie, it happens more and more daily since games went into 3D. First they'd lie how ugly they were by showing CGI, then you get rigged back box art, these days you get media review lockouts along with game boxes with cherry picked quotes and no actual game pictures on them making a truly random gem or shit sandwich.

'Oh yeah, wii u' is right considering that one Nintendo had to know was going to get about a years support before being decimated because they chose to tell the industry to fuck off when they were served up with third party support on a golden platter they backhanded to the floor. They need to learn when game makers say they'll give you games, you MAKE HARDWARE CAPABILITIES THEY WANT or you don't get SHIT! I wasn't kidding when I said 80-85% of what is out there to be on a disc through next year is already known, it's a zombie system at this time just chewing on the brains of Nintendo only gamers to sustain the shambling death that it is.

I'm like you I'm unforgiving with game makers. If they leave me high and dry or they sell me a turd wrapped in a lie I stop supporting them cold after a few chances, I use the baseball rule of 3 strikes and you're out. Once that happens I will not ever pay at retail for one of their games again and will only take it as a present or as a used purchase they get NOTHING out of because they effectively stole from my pocket as I see it. An exception would be a GoGames.com/Steam purchase when there's like an over 50% off sale where they get little cash for it as I don't value such makers games worth the price anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You know I saw that other post, I really hope you're not seriously blaming the PS4 for those dumb games. The system is the (slight edge) best hardware out there and the best support for unique games too on the market we'll get this generation from a well supported system. I get feeling down about it, Destiny got me, though I don't agree it lacks a story, it has one, but the broken lack of a lobby or way to do mission with others, worse being locked out from people in no respawn zones was unforgivable. I get eating the lie, it happens more and more daily since games went into 3D. First they'd lie how ugly they were by showing CGI, then you get rigged back box art, these days you get media review lockouts along with game boxes with cherry picked quotes and no actual game pictures on them making a truly random gem or shit sandwich.

'Oh yeah, wii u' is right considering that one Nintendo had to know was going to get about a years support before being decimated because they chose to tell the industry to fuck off when they were served up with third party support on a golden platter they backhanded to the floor. They need to learn when game makers say they'll give you games, you MAKE HARDWARE CAPABILITIES THEY WANT or you don't get SHIT! I wasn't kidding when I said 80-85% of what is out there to be on a disc through next year is already known, it's a zombie system at this time just chewing on the brains of Nintendo only gamers to sustain the shambling death that it is.

I'm like you I'm unforgiving with game makers. If they leave me high and dry or they sell me a turd wrapped in a lie I stop supporting them cold after a few chances, I use the baseball rule of 3 strikes and you're out. Once that happens I will not ever pay at retail for one of their games again and will only take it as a present or as a used purchase they get NOTHING out of because they effectively stole from my pocket as I see it. An exception would be a GoGames.com/Steam purchase when there's like an over 50% off sale where they get little cash for it as I don't value such makers games worth the price anymore.

Oh no I didn't mean to imply I regretted my ps4 purchase, of all the "next" gen consoles it was the only one that made sense for me, I'm a,ready heavily invested in the playstation Eco system, cross buy games and game sharing with friends means I'm in this for the long haul lol

My regret was only with what was promised with watchdogs and what we got. I held off on buying a ps4 because none of the launch games interested me, I was waiting on watchdogs to release so I could justify my purchase and have something to hold me down until the holidays. I actually had a good amount of fun with watchdogs, but I also admit that had I paid any amount of money for it I would have been a little upset.

The wii u I had full knowledge of beforehand. I wasn't expecting any 3rd party support. I don't think I ever saw a wii u thread on any forum that wasn't 80 percent buyers remorse. I bought it solely to play mario kart, bought the nintendo refurb for only 200. I anticipated this system becoming a paperweight as soon as I got tired or mario kart and was fine with that. What I didn't anticipate was just how fast I would grow tired of mario kart and the true depths of nintendos inexplicable series of clusterfucks. Mario kart didn't even last me a week. Original wii games lack antialiasing in wii mode, demos for some stupid reason have a limited number of plays, I have to jump through 27 menus before I can check to see if my nephew messaged me or not, still no online chat in games or any easy way to communicate with people at all, the list goes on.

I anticipated disappointment and was still further disappointment. Star fox is the only game I can see myself buying in the near future, until then, the wii u has an even more pointless existance than the original wii in my eyes. The Wii at least lasted me a solid 2 months before I was bored with it and that game still had a lot of memorable exclusives and quirky titles. I have about 10 wii games. There is zero chance of me amassing even half that collection on wii u. Right now i only have mario kart and deus ex which I picked up for like 11 dollars new. I keep forgetting I even have that game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I never seem to experience buyer's remorse when it comes to video games. My only remorse with those can be wishing I didn't pay as much as I did for something. Most of my remorse comes from audio products or video capture products that end up not being as good as I thought.

Destiny is not the kind of game I would have ever bought a PS4 for. I don't have one yet, but if I didn't have anything else to play that I wanted I would just go straight for Diablo III because the hack n slash style of RPGs have never bored me.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Just curious guys...

What exactly IS the story with Aliens: Colonial Marines? I mean, I literally never heard of it until it actually came out, but now I'm hearing that it was this massively anticipated game? That kinda astonishes me. Just what exactly was it everyone was looking forward to?

As for the topic question, I honestly have this issue more often with books than games. I buy them, then they sit around, not being read, taking up shelf space... Probably my Turbo Duo would be the most recent case of Buyer's Remorse though, if only because immediately it started having issues reading the cards. A person here fixed those, but now it won't spin disks. -__- And now I'm hearing these are common problems with the Duo.

I wanted a PS3 once, but avoided getting it because buyer's remorse is precisely what I feared would happen.

The thing with aliens colonial marines was simply that it was an aliens game lol

The aliens universe is basically the genesis of the entire space marine concept that damn near every shooter was stealing from anyway and we also now finally got a chance to dig deeper into the lore and rich history of that universe.

So confident was fox twentieth century in sega and gearbox that they claimed the story would be official canon and with fox' blessing they were retconning the original aliens trilogy to better fit the story. If the events of this story were true and we're now actual canon however, then alien 3 could never have existed. This game was so full of plot holes it basically usurped already established stories in the film franchise so that this piece of shit could exist.

For years we were fed bullshit information from gearbox how this was meant as a full coop class based story driven shooter. Each player would have a unique tool to further advance the story and access hidden parts of the level with. One player would be the hacker, another would have the torch welding tool needed to seal shut doors to prevent alien attacks, some players would have unique guns suited to their class like the smart gun seen held by Vasquez in aliens etc.

None of this was true however. In the game all extra players are basically clones of the main protagonist like in halo. The story will not even acknowledge you exist. The story was a piece of shit and spit in the face of all fans who even had a little appreciation for it. The game was riddled floor to ceiling with bugs, not the stalking methodical slime dripping ones we were promised however but actual game breaking, console freezing bugs. The ai for aliens was the worst I've ever seen, they're just bullet sponges that charge u en masse frome the front for all 10 hours of that horrible game. Actually not 10 hours, maybe 4, because the other 6 you'll be spending shooting other humans just like every other shooter out there, except not like every shooter out there because those games shoot, this game at launch didn't even register shots half the time. When they did hit it would take 3 clips to drop anyone. The environments were ugly as hell, they reused the same assets and level design basically all game long

Which leads me to the main culprit behind why owe graphics were so shitty. Gearbox. Or maybe not. This is where things get blurry. Gearbox was paid by sega for over 7 years to make aliens colonial marines. But not 1 cent if this money can be seen in their efforts for this game. The reason for this was that gearbox took sega's money and used it to fund borderlands 2, what money was leftover was used to outsource the development of the game to yet another 3rd party developer and they were the ones who ended up making that broken disaster of a game.

The fun doesn't stop there because rather than show off an actual build of the game to fans and prospective buyers, they showed an entirely cgi rendered trailer meant to look like actual gameplay with super polished game mechanics, setting and lighting that didn't even exist in game and were in no way indicative of what you would actually be playing. That didn't stop gearbox from continuing further ads with it, they even had the goddamned audacity to write in clear white letters over the trailer playing reading "actual gameplay"

I based my entire preorder off that fucking video. The second the the video stopped, I opened up a new tab on my browser and went straight to Amazon to ensure I got my copy day 1. Gearbox stole $60 dollars from me. I will never ever ever give them a single fucking dollar out of my wallet again. I loved borderlands 2, it was a great fucking game, I even thought about buying all of the dlc for it, but ingot principles. They're never getting a dollar out of me again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This generation, not much as i've taken a more wait and see attitude. Last gen I regret ALOT, though there were a few decent games.

Enjoying Shadows of Mordor ($19), The Evil Within ($19) and Titanfall ($5) on PC atm and got them for great prices as shown. See no reason to get a PS4/Xone atm especially considering the last gen didn't last for squat, though the Wii is still holding up like a champ. Very close to buying a Wii U.

Though if I had to pick the last thing I regret buying singularly video game related i would have to say DC Universe Online ($60 per copy), bought a copy for me and my boy to play on our PS3's and the damn game went free to play like 2 weeks later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the PS1 was in its infancy, I bought numerous shitty games sight-unseen. Information back then was kind of sparse because all you really had were the monthly mags and I was desperate for new games to play on this awesome machine. If it was new and shiny, I was taking it home. Steel Harbinger, Cybersled, Contra: LOW, Dragonheart and countless other shitty games that I've forgotten about have all ended up in my place at one point or another. The one good thing about this period in time was that I worked in Electronics at Walmart, so if I ended up with a lemon I could just take it back and exchange it for a different game. Of course that's illegal now