I thought this was really cool.

[EGM issue 16 - November 1990]

full hi-res image:
    http://i.imgur.com/qLiPDZi.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EGM were just returning the favour, since Famitsu had visited them (and given EGM lots of ideas to steal...) in January 1989.

Link: http://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/FC__1989Q1.html#wces

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Gawd damn I swear, there was just something magical about the late 80s/early 90s... I guess that's why so many of us old dinosaurs like to fondly refer to that era as the "golden age of gaming."

Those pictures bring back a wave of memories and intense feelings of nostalgia. I'm glad I got to live through that era as a kid. On a side note, I was recently at a family Thanksgiving, and all my nieces and nephews had their heads buried in an iPad. It was nuts. We used to run around the house playing Nerf wars, or mock up GI Joe "missions." Or of course, video games. I guess an iPad isn't far off but I also feel it doesn't replicate the magic of sitting in a room with your friends experiencing Sonic or Streets of Rage or F-Zero for the very first time. It was a very interactive social thing despite the fact that many of the games then were 1 player experiences. It somehow transcended that and every witness played a role and became part of a greater experience. Good times.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Things were just more laid back, less vicious in general other than the trumped up console wars in the magazines alone. Magazines, especially those for a system in particular were propaganda to a point but were very lighthearted, friendly, very helpful with game maps and descriptions, codes, you name it. There weren't huge debates on why X developer is a douchebag to Y console maker, excuse mongering to get people to pony up to buy a game to then not follow through arguments, asinine politics etc. Sure you had the battles over what system got the best port, and you did get dick mags like EGM who played favorites, but it wasn't the whole lineup of garbage mixed with PC bullshit and the rest of the drama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Gawd damn I swear, there was just something magical about the late 80s/early 90s... I guess that's why so many of us old dinosaurs like to fondly refer to that era as the "golden age of gaming."

Those pictures bring back a wave of memories and intense feelings of nostalgia. I'm glad I got to live through that era as a kid. On a side note, I was recently at a family Thanksgiving, and all my nieces and nephews had their heads buried in an iPad. It was nuts. We used to run around the house playing Nerf wars, or mock up GI Joe "missions." Or of course, video games. I guess an iPad isn't far off but I also feel it doesn't replicate the magic of sitting in a room with your friends experiencing Sonic or Streets of Rage or F-Zero for the very first time. It was a very interactive social thing despite the fact that many of the games then were 1 player experiences. It somehow transcended that and every witness played a role and became part of a greater experience. Good times.
    I don't think it was Thansgiving, but at a similar family get together during the NES era, we were taking turns playing Contra, and I inadvertently got the NES banned at my aunt's home for the remainder of the game by teaching my younger cousins how to kill each other on the waterfall level by scrolling the screen up. They kept "griefing" each other and getting in shouting fights, and that spelled the end of the NES that day for the sake of peace.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks for posting. Kinda nice to take a stroll down memory lane every once and while to visit the Golden Age of gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv34R2dBy6Y#t=15