Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
So it has a death grip on the carts like other crap connectors from 15 years ago? Just more garbage then. With a death grip it's wearing away the contacts from the game carts, it's going to ruin your games in the long run. Plus marking up the cases by using pliers isn't something I'll ever want to do.

I'm going to hate buying used NES games 5-10 years from now when everything will be beat up from crappy replacement connectors and poor quality "aftermarket" consoles. It's like finding used PS1 games now that look like they were used as drink coasters. So much for the hobby.

Also, if you're just wanting an NES for an Air BnB, just get something aftermarket with built in games like those fake famiclones or use some type of emulation setup. People into retro stuff today are mostly hipsters who don't really want to deal with old finicky things. They want a modern HD widescreen display, so you'll need something that can easily hook up to it. They'll probably want to stretch out the games to widescreen too. If you have a real NES I'm sure it'll be broken pretty quickly, and people would step on the games or something. Some type of cheap arcade cabinet would also work instead of an NES. You're attracting hipsters rather than real collectors.
We got some reviews from folks that were tickled pink over the experience using a VCR. So I thought it'd be fun to bring another retro experience. We had people complain about lack of things like a smart TV and other like "modern conveniences" which honestly you see at places way more upscaled than ours. We charge $55 a night for a two bedroom apartment with a stove, fridge and wifi. I joked to my wife who would get disgruntled over the comments that we should yank the 50" plasma (she rented the apartment monthly but our last tenants jumped ship and left everything, including that TV) and put in a 27" CRT and a Beta VCR. After the above mention of a "retro" experience, the idea started to gain traction.

So an emulation box really doesn't hit that true retro experience. If the tenant damages it, they pay for it. I'm not worried