Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Toploading NES worth it?

Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you seen the Blinking Light Win Kickstarter yet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cting-your-nes

This looks like a good solution for your old toaster.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been doing the boiling of the pin connector on my Toasters and they work GREAT. Ii had a couple of top loaders laying around. Sold them for big money. Stock they are garbage. RF doesn't bother me. It's the jailbars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the advent of the Blinking Light Win, this discussion will, hopefully, soon be over. Providing the Blinking Light Win works, why would anyone now shell out X amount of cash for an Toploader AV mod when they can snag this for $20?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    With the advent of the Blinking Light Win, this discussion will, hopefully, soon be over. Providing the Blinking Light Win works, why would anyone now shell out X amount of cash for an Toploader AV mod when they can snag this for $20?
    Yeah, if the Blinking Light Win works WELL this could be epic. No more shitty replacement pins, no more deathgrip.

Toploader mods are cool, and the actual mod job isnt really all that expensive. The main problem is that if you mail your system to someone you gotta pay shipping there and back, which adds like 40-60$.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    The main problem is that if you mail your system to someone you gotta pay shipping there and back, which adds like 40-60$.
    To be sure. Shipping both ways is killer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If this new part works as advertised those who would still buy a top loader over an original would be for three reasons -- resellers, people who don't know it exists, and Nintendo collectors as it's a piece of legit history.

I hope it works out as advertised and is that cheap. It would be great to see all these makers of these 'new' 72pin connectors run out of business because they're awful. Death grip, brittle, dirty easy so they fail fast, weaken into a poor connection after not too terribly long -- they're made to keep a reselling trail of buyers around.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I hope it works out as advertised and is that cheap. It would be great to see all these makers of these 'new' 72pin connectors run out of business because they're awful. Death grip, brittle, dirty easy so they fail fast, weaken into a poor connection after not too terribly long -- they're made to keep a reselling trail of buyers around.
    I think most of the NES pins people use come from dealers on ebay who buy them in bulk, probably from China.
    They are junk in my opinion so I wouldnt mind seeing these people stop selling them.
    I dont mind so much having to change pins if one connector stops working, Its the deathgrip that will slowly damage the games thats scary.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There do exist factor US toploaders with a/v output. Not exactly a budget friendly option however given what they go for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You're correct, never at retail though. It was a silent kinda-recall Nintendo did. Even after the warranty was up if you called into them up until 2000 I found out you could send them a top loader and they've pop an entirely new properly shielded board in there with their SNES like multi-av out with a mono a/v cable with it back to you. I haven't looked one up in years, but last I did was before things got major retarded and it still was a few hundred bucks. I'd hate to think what that escalated to now.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    AV Famicom + converter = the best combo possible.
    I beg to differ.

Twin Famicom with converter

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

If this new part works as advertised those who would still buy a top loader over an original would be for three reasons -- resellers, people who don't know it exists, and Nintendo collectors as it's a piece of legit history.
    In my case, it's about space. My 27" Trinitron stand has an AV Famicom (previously an AV-modded NES toploader), SFC, PCE Duo-R, and a pair of Wiis with a Wiimote charging dock, and everything barely fits. I'd never fit a toaster NES in there.

Also cosmetics, because the AVF (and even the toploader when it doesn't have a cart towering out of it) is slick as hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Makes sense and you're a Japanese console buyer, but I was talking about just US systems with that as there are a lot of US-NES collectors out there that'll go to any length to pay for an item.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You're correct, never at retail though. It was a silent kinda-recall Nintendo did. Even after the warranty was up if you called into them up until 2000 I found out you could send them a top loader and they've pop an entirely new properly shielded board in there with their SNES like multi-av out with a mono a/v cable with it back to you. I haven't looked one up in years, but last I did was before things got major retarded and it still was a few hundred bucks. I'd hate to think what that escalated to now.
    Actually there WERE some found at retail. My cousins had one. I think they got it at Meijers. Long gone before I knew A/V toploaders were anything special, tho, I just thought they were all that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    What the hell do people DO to their NESes to have these problems? My NES has been in my house since 1987, has been through some real ass and has even been taken apart a few times, but any time a game doesn't work it just needs q-tips and alcohol.

What, does my NES in particular happen to have magical protection on it?
    If yours does have magical protection, mine from roughly the same time does too. I've never had a game that refused to work once it got a good blowing. Never even had to clean a game, though I never bought any games dirty enough to need it in the first place.

Only problem it ever gave me was in early 89 when after I opened it up and put it back together (just for curiousity's sake) the cart mechanism wouldn't stay down when you pressed it, and I had to come up with a workaround to get it to stay down. Then one day I was mad at a game and slammed my hand down on the top of the system and suddenly the mechanism worked again. It was a glorious day, I felt like Fonzie.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

At a live auction I was outbid at a grand (Final price was just over 1100) on the last one I had a shot at and that was a few years ago. I'd be curious with the impressive improvements to the clone systems (I'm looking at you retron 5) if they'd still command that kind of money or if they've gone down some. It's still on my "holy grail" list of items I'd love to acquire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow that's the first case I've seen of an a/v toploader at retail even after the 4 years over at that other cracked out site as there were debates about it.

I never had a problem with my NES, at least that someone else didn't make happen to it. Shortly after a move in 1989 was its first death by five year old girl with an orange popsicle with the power turned on after insertion. There were a couple other dumb mishaps too, yet it kept on trucking through when I sold it maybe 3 years ago to a very appreciative guy with his kid he wanted to introduce to the NES. He bought a game bundle off me from craigslist, saw the NES and begged for it so that one lasted with occasional maintenance from 1985-2011 and probably still works.

camaro -- 1.1K is nuts. I would not be surprised at all if it gets well over that. The sharp NES tv when I got it was a deal at $200~ back in 1/2012 and they now sell for $600-700, sometimes higher if you get some fools fighting over it going as high as 1K. Around the time I got the sharp they went in the shape/completeness of mine for 300.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a dozen or so toasters I'm getting ready for Ebay and the only thing I have to say is, Fuck Toasters! For the last two days I've bent, boild, cleaned and replaced 72 pins and they still only work 80% of the time. I hate them and everything about them. My hand hurt as I type from pulling out cartridges. Damn i hate them...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

camaro -- 1.1K is nuts. I would not be surprised at all if it gets well over that. The sharp NES tv when I got it was a deal at $200~ back in 1/2012 and they now sell for $600-700, sometimes higher if you get some fools fighting over it going as high as 1K. Around the time I got the sharp they went in the shape/completeness of mine for 300.
    Never said I was sane, just that I wanted it. Three of us "went for it" at the auction and apparently we all had similar caps in mind. I'm hoping the next time I get another shot I have more money to throw at it. I have a feeling this is one of those items that everytime I get a chance the price is just going to keep rising. There really are not a lot of these things out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

Disable the 10NES chip as well as refurbishing the 72 pin. Old toaster works better then new
    SEGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I had the toaster 25 years ago, but have used a toploader since I returned to NES gaming, and I don't have it modded and have become accustomed to the jail bars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's not too hard to ignore but that also depends on the TV as every one will be more obvious or less obvious so it's random. Like I said though, if you use a device with a coax on the back (like a vcr) as a pass though, it filters the bars out.