FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    Thanks bro but I do play the games but I don't like relearning a rebalanced game over and over again. I really don't like being charged for balance issues either.
    If you have a problem buying games then just dont. Each new version of SF does not make the previous on obsolete. It makes the series as a whole better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I don't agree with you at all on that bb. I've been a long time player of the SF2 and 3 trees of arcade/home games and somewhat with SFA1+2 as well. I was exceptionally good taking down people on some of those. SF4 I struggle with horribly and the game is just badly balanced as a 1P game. I was thinking it was a lack of skill but I spent a good evening on this one as it bugged the hell out of me. I originally had it on PS3 and what I did was put the game both through arcade mode and also training mode flipping the difficulty switch from 1 (v-easy) to 4(normal) to 7(max difficulty) and what I found was just stunning.
    SF4 is a totally different beast than SF3 or SF2. Its a much more technical game and you cannot get away with spamming moves or relying on hyper combos. It will take more than a 'good evening' to get any good at the game.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 12-07-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    If you have a problem buying games then just dont. Each new version of SF does not make the previous on obsolete. It makes the series as a whole better.

SF4 is a totally different beast than SF3 or SF2. Its a much more technical game and you cannot get away with spamming moves or relying on hyper combos. It will take more than a 'good evening' to get any good at the game.
    They do make the old ones obsolete. I don't enjoy single player, I play online. The communities die off very quickly online. I consider myself a decent player and I have been playing for a number of years. Fighting games were my favorite growing up but I also appreciate it being more technical it makes it more fun to keep playing. The don't like it don't buy it is not a very good argument and I am more than capable of forming my own opinion on something. I am sorry my opinion doesn't jive with your's. The blind loyalty of gamers confuses me like no other. Any criticism on games is met with a "shut up and take it" view which does nothing for the discussion.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

The don't like it don't buy it is not a very good argument and I am more than capable of forming my own opinion on something. I am sorry my opinion doesn't jive with your's. The blind loyalty of gamers confuses me like no other. Any criticism on games is met with a "shut up and take it" view which does nothing for the discussion.
    Well its the only argument I have for someone who thinks 'Capcom is a shitty company' because they release multiple Street Fighter games.

And yeah I get it, people have a problem with the way they sell their product, but if its something you want to play you are going to have to pay. Calling something shitty isnt gonna change anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They do make the old ones obsolete. I don't enjoy single player, I play online. The communities die off very quickly online. I consider myself a decent player and I have been playing for a number of years. Fighting games were my favorite growing up but I also appreciate it being more technical it makes it more fun to keep playing. The don't like it don't buy it is not a very good argument and I am more than capable of forming my own opinion on something. I am sorry my opinion doesn't jive with your's. The blind loyalty of gamers confuses me like no other. Any criticism on games is met with a "shut up and take it" view which does nothing for the discussion.
    It's not blind loyalty. It's knowing and appreciating the positives that come out of the established system.

Capcom has a lot of problems right now, Street Fighter ain't one of them
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 12-07-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I understand it takes more than an evening. I had been applying myself for a little bit, this wasn't some first day what the f moment you know? I started to see what I thought was some reoccurring pattern of odd behavior so I decided to set aside like 4-6hours on a Saturday evening back when SF4 was fairly new and just pounded away at it between the modes and difficulties. What I found was just that it seemed to be the game was coded to see what you were dailing into the controller at random moments and would instantly fire off the appropriate counter as your animation went to break it regardless of being standing, jumping, or crouching while doing some move. I never did spam moves in the other games, humping the wall and repeatedly doing fireballs or kicks was just sorry. I was about combinations of various moves though or variations of it that worked depending on the character I'd use though but I usually kept things fairly random as to be less predictable. I just found that I never could consistently clear SF4 without eating it on LV4 and above, and noticed the change in how the game responded to the player was 1/2 through the run of characters, yet even on LV3 it would still do it too but only on the final boss. It seemed the game would throw the first round to me with not too bad of an effort, but in the other rounds it would like get a brain transplant and interpret my moves as I dialed them half way in and it got infuriating.

Kai I do agree with you just as you came to my defense to answering that question in the mario maker thread that got Leo in a pissy fit. Gamers have this entitled shitty mentality where if they're a fan, you must be or you need to be ball gagged and thrown in a corner to just shut the fuck up and take it or leave and it's tiring. It does nothing for discussion if you're just told you're wrong for not agreeing as it just kills the matter there dead if you're shouted down.

I don't think bb is screaming anyone down here, he's at least trying to argue stuff, but he has a point, if you don't like a game don't buy it. He's not saying not to debate it. I do see your reasoning though, it is bad if you buy a $60 game, then need to buy another $30 package one or two times on top so you can stay online and play with others as it's kind of a trap. Now if you hated online and it didn't matter, then you're fine buying whatever one game and mastering it as then it's all about just you and no-one else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know it's a double post but in all fairness, what about SF4 Ultra? How is that one compared to the original with the AI and the rest? I liked the style, not the quirky abuse. I've seen it go on some fairly solid sales on Steam before so maybe I could keep an eye on it with a wishlist prompt from them.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there might be a miscommunication. I am a fan of Street Fighter. It annoys me as a fan of the series to see so many releases. I was going to buy the new release on PS4 considering the online is usually more populated and a little more consisitent than Capcom's PC versions. Well what's the point if SF5 is right around the corner? I want to buy the games but I don't like buying derivatives of the same game over and over again. I just feel like I am getting taken advantage of. This isn't my first rodeo with fighting games and won't be my last but there is only so much my wallet can take.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know it's a double post but in all fairness, what about SF4 Ultra? How is that one compared to the original with the AI and the rest? I liked the style, not the quirky abuse. I've seen it go on some fairly solid sales on Steam before so maybe I could keep an eye on it with a wishlist prompt from them.
    I can't comment on input reading, but it follows a pretty standard difficulty curve. With the first three fights a push over, the next three a bit more tricky, the first rival boss quit hard, and the final boss just annoyingly hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Probably is a miscommunication to a point. The thing is, it's not like they haven't done it before. The less obvious question would be, when did they NOT stick it to your wallet? Easy -- Fighting Street (TG16) aka Street Fighter 1. SF2 went into CE, Hyper, Turbo and all that. SF3 had 3 releases as did Alpha. I think the EX spinoff had 3 too. They've always milked the franchise and in turn the buyers every generation back to the SNES era because it works, at least this time around you can buy a cheaper download upgrade instead of forking over $50 more for a cart or CD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there might be a miscommunication. I am a fan of Street Fighter. It annoys me as a fan of the series to see so many releases. I was going to buy the new release on PS4 considering the online is usually more populated and a little more consisitent than Capcom's PC versions. Well what's the point if SF5 is right around the corner? I want to buy the games but I don't like buying derivatives of the same game over and over again. I just feel like I am getting taken advantage of. This isn't my first rodeo with fighting games and won't be my last but there is only so much my wallet can take.
    SFIV and SFV are going to be as different from each other as III is to IV. There's a reason to play all of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

They've always milked the franchise
    See, my opinion is that they are not 'milking' the franchise but tweaking it to make it better. The real hardcore tournament players quickly figure out how to break certain characters, then you get top tier lists, then everyone online plays with only a handfull of characters.

They did the same thing with Marvel v Capcom 3 when UMvC3 was released. Certain overpowered characters (phoenix, sentinel, tron, SHE-HULK) got toned-down resulting in a much better, much more balanced game.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 12-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Even tho I can see the argument from the other side where a once multiplatform game suddenly turns off the tap and cuts out a segment of their fanbase to go exclusive and all the justified anger that brings with it, I actually don't care or have a problem with it. It gives those who already own that particular console yet another reason to feel confident in them making the right choice in game system and can help justify the systems purchase to people who are still on the fence about buying a console.

An exclusive is an exclusive, it takes the most advantage of a single systems unique strengths and can ensure you're squeezing every bit of power out of that machine to the benefit of the game and we as gamers and console owners.

What I DO have a problem with is when that so called exclusive isn't really an exclusive. Timed exclusives are the dumbest fucking things in all of gaming. Who exactly does this help? Who out there honestly makes their choice on which system to buy over 1 game being out maybe a few months or weeks earlier? Not only is that a waste of money that could have and honestly SHOULD have gone into financing an actual exclusive title for your system but you're also in no small part screwing over a not insignificant number of your loyal fans on the side for no real appreciable gain to your own brand.

In no way shape or form do I honestly beleive a franchise as big as street fighter would go exclusive and actually stay exclusive on the ps4. It makes zero financial sense. I doubt that Sony ponied up enough money to cover the potential lost revenue from not showing up on Xbox and another few hundred thousand to few million to even make it worth the effort. This makes even less sense than tomb raiders timed exclusivity where it would have released alongside a similar yet superior game like uncharted and get eclipsed resulting in lower sales on ps4. If I was running square Enix and microsoft offered me a pile of money to delay release for ps4 under those conditions I would have signed off on the deal to, but that's a unique circumstance. This street fighter shit is bullshit, same with any other game or dlc that pulls this.

And this is coming from someone who already owns a ps4 and doesn't give a shit about the street fighter franchise.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably is a miscommunication to a point. The thing is, it's not like they haven't done it before. The less obvious question would be, when did they NOT stick it to your wallet? Easy -- Fighting Street (TG16) aka Street Fighter 1. SF2 went into CE, Hyper, Turbo and all that. SF3 had 3 releases as did Alpha. I think the EX spinoff had 3 too. They've always milked the franchise and in turn the buyers every generation back to the SNES era because it works, at least this time around you can buy a cheaper download upgrade instead of forking over $50 more for a cart or CD.
    The only flip to that coin is that arcades were still around at the time. I also couldn't play online. There also was no way for them to update the game without releasing a new cart or disc. It hasn't been like that in a very long time. It might be a big update but it is still possible. Also I think it may be a little too early to tell how different 5 is going to be to 4. Of course it will be different but we still don't know to what degree. Unless we have some info I haven't seen. Anyways I am a fan of the series and just because it was like that in the past doesn't mean they can't change it. They just won't because people are used to it and Capcom being Capcom will not do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Folks are making some very signifigant assumptions about SFV being a timed exclusive. There's no evidence that it will ever make the jump.

Microsoft will have Killer Instnict. Ps4 will have STreet Fighter.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Folks are making some very signifigant assumptions about SFV being a timed exclusive. There's no evidence that it will ever make the jump.

Well it is also on PC. I know that isn't a platform to some but it is my favorite platform. haha

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post

The difference between those 2 games is that microsoft actually owns the killer instinct ip as they own rare so it stands to reason it would be exclusive.

Street fighter on the other hand has historically been a multiplatform game. Over the last 2 decades that series has pretty much released on damn near every single console known to man so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that it would also release on the Xbox one at some point.

Conversely the suggestion that it actually could be an actual bonafied exclusive does hold some merit. Fighting games tend to sell better on Sony platforms and I imagine streetfighter is no different. The Xbox one has no presence in Japan basically and Sony does have the bigger install base at this point so it is possible. But going off the recent trend of timed exclusivity deals with dlc and now games, it's probably unlikely
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it is also on PC. I know that isn't a platform to some but it is my favorite platform. haha
    Definitely my platform of choice too. Ticks me off that we don't get certain games, like Guilty Gear Xrd or Ulimax though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The PC is becoming my platform of choice too as of recently. The way the WiiU went down in flames, what I have now is the PS4 and the PC with a badass custom laptop coming to me in a couple of weeks that last me many years. I'm finding that the PC end of things will just do the gaming better in particular with certain styles of game over others, but all together thanks to MS trying to nose their way into stuff most games now natively support the 360 wired controller so the 'odd control' hurdle isn't a question anymore. PS4 I'll get those games it gets, but stuff that goes between the two that'll be a real toss up, and given the steals and deals with Steam and GoG.com stuff I'd find that hard to avoid in some cases.

On topic though, it is true there is no indication that this is a timed deal. Now it could be implied with the PC there could be a MS port, it would make even more sense last gen since how well tied MS made both, but the One isn't the same. It comes down to money, not your money, or MS's money, it'll be the money between Sony and Capcom. Did Sony pay them to do this in some significant amount? Like would Capcom have squatted on SF4 Ultra for another year so people could beat that one to death? Perhaps Sony paid Capcom to develop the game or maybe they're paying for console publishing rights? If Sony put up considerable funds to have this while leaving a PC exclusion since MS, Sony and Nintendo don't consider the PC a competitor, then it will forever remain on the PS4 because it's Sony's money as much as Capcom. I think once the wow wears off of that news piece the media needs to start hammering Capcom to fess up, just like they pounded SE for their shady deal with MS over Tomb Raider calling it exclusive, then being forced to not admit while admitting it was timed (SE admitted it, MS buttoned up about it.) The Tomb Raider one stung a bit, but it made rational sense as they'd have been pounded to death with Uncharted 4 sales, and I like that game but admit I'd have ignored it and bought it at 1/2 price due to having the choice between the two. SE couldn't have been stupid not to realize that so they'd happily take the money, then give the game later to Sony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh snap, only marginally related, but Steam is getting Dead or Alive 5 in Febuary!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311730/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I don't agree with you at all on that bb. I've been a long time player of the SF2 and 3 trees of arcade/home games and somewhat with SFA1+2 as well. I was exceptionally good taking down people on some of those. SF4 I struggle with horribly and the game is just badly balanced as a 1P game. I was thinking it was a lack of skill but I spent a good evening on this one as it bugged the hell out of me. I originally had it on PS3 and what I did was put the game both through arcade mode and also training mode flipping the difficulty switch from 1 (v-easy) to 4(normal) to 7(max difficulty) and what I found was just stunning.

Playing under 4 the game seemed to handle the AI ramp up just like the pre-SF4 games (2 and 3) where it got harder as it went along. Playing 4-7 I found neither one harder than the other and my problems with the AI seemed to line up. Around the 3rd or 4th fight the AI would go from ramping up as I found to be normal for the franchise into some psychic level bs. It was like I had some guy looking at my fingers as I dialed in the moves at least half of the time where they'd be like 'ahh he's doing a fireball' and they'd pull the proper counter move to hit me during the animation to break it and manhandle my life for a good 1/3 of the bar. It was like the game saw what I was dialing in and just did the only move possible with position to break it and beat the crap out of my fighter. I did not find the frequency any worse on level4-7. In arcade mode it would go bad around stage 4, and if I kept at it eventually I'd get through to the end, but I never did improve. I then took it to the training room for a few hours against old return players and new like C Viper and it was the same. It confused the hell out of me that the AI could just spy on what I was dialing in and do that every time and that the difficulty had no effect on it. That's just bad design to me meant to only appease to the hardcore audience that would just be messing with real people and using that junk to train with.
    I never played SFIV, but it sounds like it was programmed with 'SNK boss syndrome.'