Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A modern take on retro - for Android

I have to say firstly, I am very cynical of mobile games. The trend I have seen is horrifying(micro-transactions, a lack of challenge etc). So it is quite hypothetical that I released a mobile game myself. I won't be making that mistake again.

But I am proud of the game I have made. I built it with the goal to provide players with a challenging, yet fun experience. I wanted that feeling of having to repeat levels and improve your skills in order to progress.

I think I have achieved this, but would like your opinions.

If you feel like a little bit of a challenge, try it out and let me know what you think:

Pixel Power - Google Play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not bad, minimalist but it works. I think the clock is slightly cheap though considering it's 100% reset if you end up dying. My hand blocks the screen enough that I can't keep up with wave 10 so I can't get any further. It's just the shortcoming of non-gamepad touch gaming...screen blockage and slightly slower response which is a shame. It's a good game but is it only 15 stages?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Not bad, minimalist but it works. I think the clock is slightly cheap though considering it's 100% reset if you end up dying. My hand blocks the screen enough that I can't keep up with wave 10 so I can't get any further. It's just the shortcoming of non-gamepad touch gaming...screen blockage and slightly slower response which is a shame. It's a good game but is it only 15 stages?

Thank you for your feedback.

I have been throwing around the idea of making wave 10 a little less challenging, based on a lot of the feedback I have been getting. It is a delicate balance of making sure it is difficult but achievable. I have plans to expand the game to more stages if it gains popularity. I decided it was better to get it out before I committed to many more levels.

But thank you for your advice, I will take it on board in future updates of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No problem. I made a few attempts at it before making that post. The best I got was I think about 15sec before the stage ends. The problem is that it gets far too intense while not taking into account the screen being blocked by a big old hand in the way. I tried even narrowing the hand and just using my pinky and it still caused enough of a blockage I had to focus moving the hand out of the way at times to see if stuff was coming instead of consistently shooting. If the game had a joystick or someone had a really long stylus that could help too if their phone/tablet had that.

It's not the first time I've had that happen, Geometry Wars on the DS hit a wall using the stylus so I had to resort to the d-pad +4 face buttons.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    No problem. I made a few attempts at it before making that post. The best I got was I think about 15sec before the stage ends. The problem is that it gets far too intense while not taking into account the screen being blocked by a big old hand in the way. I tried even narrowing the hand and just using my pinky and it still caused enough of a blockage I had to focus moving the hand out of the way at times to see if stuff was coming instead of consistently shooting. If the game had a joystick or someone had a really long stylus that could help too if their phone/tablet had that.

It's not the first time I've had that happen, Geometry Wars on the DS hit a wall using the stylus so I had to resort to the d-pad +4 face buttons.
    Yeah that can be a problem in these types of games. Often compatibility across all the different types of devices is difficult.

What sort of device were you playing on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Google Nexus 7 (2013 version.) The 7" screen is a nice bridge between the phone size and the big/huge 10+ inch stuff.