Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best new IPs of the seventh generation

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question The best new IPs of the seventh generation

I was wondering what you all think the best new licenses were from the past generation?

For me it was Dead Space and Gears of War. I think these are the only new series that I played every installment of. Dead Space was definitely my favorite new series.

I really only played the 360 this past generation. I haven't really played any PS3 games except for Resistence: Fall of Man (I just use my PS3 for PS2 games), and I didn't really play any original titles on the Wii either; just established series like Mario Kart. Anyway, which series (or single titles) original to this past gen did you guys like best?

NOTE: I didn't search for a similar topic before I started typing this and probably should have. So apologies if this has been asked already, or asked already to death even.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll agree with you on Dead Space. It to me was finally the first true survival horror game, albeit a third person shooting one. The atmosphere is a true mind screw and your loss of sanity and the loss of the station as time goes along just gets unsettling and the story keeps compelling you to do more. It's a shame the 2nd one sucked, and with that I never touched the third. Maybe someday on steam or gog there will be a three pack if that third hit PC (did it?) Another multi platform to throw out there since it changed well enough to be a unique game despite the name, Civilization Revolution for PS3/PC/360 was just amazingly good fun, and it is a new IP that's growing as a sequel is out there now at least on tablets/phones so far.

Uncharted I think was the huge one. The storywriting in that one and the set pieces to back it up where downright incredible, nothing to match it at all. The amazing pathing you follow along with the story pathing and all the great twists and things just made it amazing. I have no doubt it helped inspire bringing Lara Croft out of the joke bin/toilet as they really upped the game on that one to be like Uncharted. I can only imagine where they'll take that one with the 4th next year on PS4 and I'll be there day one as it's a rare case of no doubt it won't suck.

I suppose if it counts as semi-new, all credit to the lowly Wii for Mario Galaxy and the sequel as they really upped Mario's A game even if it wasn't the first 3D outing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bioshock. Although the last one was such a huge disappointment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I thought that the second Dead Space was awesome. It wasn't as scary as the first one to me (and the first one TERRIFIED me), since you weren't in deep space (at first), but I played through all three and was REALLY immersed in the experience. Probably more so than any other game besides Silent Hill.

I need to revisit Bioshock. I love the whole art deco atmosphere, but something about the game just didn't suck me in. I WANT to love it, but I ended up being more frustrated than anything. I only played it for a few hours. I got to a part where you were fighting some guy and you were in knee deep water, in some basement like area and could get electrocuted. It was really frustrating and I shelved it. I purchased the sequel though, so I have to revisit. I can't move to a sequel without playing through the previous installment (unless I'm first introduced to a series partway in).

I'm really looking forward to playing Uncharted. I have all three, I believe. I'm going to give the first one a try after I finish Mass Effect, which I only just started playing recently. It's a really slow starter (for me), but they seem to have packed a ton of content into this game. The world is so well fleshed out, I find myself spending hours and hours just talking to people and exploring the Citadel. I waste to much time doing mundane shit that I don't even realize how many hours I'm wasting.

Another past gen game I REALLY enjoyed was Nier. the music in that game is amazing, and the atmosphere is fantastic. Honestly, my two biggest complaints about the game were that the protagonist was one of the ugliest characters I've EVER seen, and that pretty much all of the weapons in the game were garbage. I used one particular weapon that I crafted pretty early on through out the entire game. It was ridiculously over powered, or rather, all of the others were ridiculously UNDER powered. There was really no point trying to acquire any of them other than the fun of collecting.

I don't know how I forgot the series I've spent more hours playing than all of the other past gen games I've played combined (excluding Mario Kart), and that's Left4Dead. My wife and I must have spend a thousand hours playing this shit on the couch in local multiplayer. It was like when my friends and I would play Golden Eye back in the day on the weekends. Golden Eye is probably the reason I never finished college.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 12-21-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

There's only one obvious choice for me, and that's Mass Effect. The entire trilogy, taken as a whole, is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Best new IPs that are successful and spawned multiple games or best new IPs?

-Payday
    -The Saboteur. EA's GTA. While the story isn't as good as the most recent GTAs and the music is 1940s themed, the gameplay is better than GTAs or most of its clones. This is an amazing game that was pretty much ignored.
    -Mirror's Edge.
    -Uncharted
    -The Last of Us
    -Little Big Planet
    -Infamous
    -Dead Space
    -Dragon's Crown
    -Demon's Souls (Didn't think about it until reminded by Rick.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-22-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Is Dragon's Crown a new IP? I thought it was just continuation of the Princess Crown line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Best new IPs that are successful and spawned multiple games or best new IPs?
    Just what you guys would consider the best original IPs released to the past console generation. Either one shots or series. I'm sort of trying to do a round up of the some of the best new things introduced this past generation. I guess I'm looking for a highlights lists of what original things were brought to the table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

-The Saboteur. EA's GTA. While the story isn't as good as the most recent GTAs and the music is 1940s themed, the gameplay is better than GTAs or most of its clones. This is an amazing game that was pretty much ignored.
    Interesting. I've NEVER really heard anyone say anything about this game before. Granted, I don't really follow game related media much anymore, but I do hear this and that about big name releases and such. I've always seen this game on shelves (for cheap), but never knew anything about it. So it's like an open world, sandbox sort of crime sim type game, or is the theme different? The thing is, from my limited experience with the GTA series I really don't care for it. I don't like anything about being a violent criminal in an modern urban setting, so for me it's sort of an off putting experience. Is Saboteur any less crime-centric or are you basically a common street thug doing evil shit the whole game like (my impression of) GTA?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

- LittleBigPlanet
    - Bioshock
    - Dead Space
    - Infamous
    - Uncharted

Those immediately come to mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Interesting. I've NEVER really heard anyone say anything about this game before. Granted, I don't really follow game related media much anymore, but I do hear this and that about big name releases and such. I've always seen this game on shelves (for cheap), but never knew anything about it. So it's like an open world, sandbox sort of crime sim type game, or is the theme different? The thing is, from my limited experience with the GTA series I really don't care for it. I don't like anything about being a violent criminal in an modern urban setting, so for me it's sort of an off putting experience. Is Saboteur any less crime-centric or are you basically a common street thug doing evil shit the whole game like (my impression of) GTA?
    The game is set around the 1940s in Paris where shortly after the game starts, Nazi's occupy the city. They go for a unique graphical style where everything is black and white and the only color visible in a Nazi controlled area is red. Whenever one of the areas are set free, it's back to having color again, looks pretty cool. You're an irish race car driver who ends up joining the rebels to take back the city from the Nazis.

The game has a snap to cover system that works incredibly well and the aiming system is very fluid, unlike even the most recent GTA games. It initially uses the auto aim mechanic, but I like to use free aim since it works so well. You upgrade your weapons to different types of weapons, silenced pistols, silenced machine guns, sniper rifles, etc, but you can only equip two at a time. Grenades are set to a single button, you have dynamite, and later on you get remote C4. You can plant dynamite and remote C4 in any vehicle you're driving, jump out of the vehicle and it'll explode or you can detonate it.

There is a stealth/level system that's like GTAs star system. If you're running around in a Nazi occupied location it's okay, nothing is going to happen. If you're a civilian in a restricted area and you're in someones line of site, then they'll become suspicious and if the suspicion meter gets full you'll get a level one alarm. If you kill a Nazi with melee or stealth takedown you can wear their clothes and you'll be able to walk in restricted zones. If you get too close though they'll start getting suspicious and you either need to hurry up get out of range to let the suspicion meter reduce or they'll sound the alarm and you'll lose the disguise.

Finally the game has a sort of slower version of Uncharted like platforming. It's not like Assassin's Creed where your character can climb in an instant to the top of any building in the game and it's not as quick as Uncharted either. It doesn't break the game, but allows for more exploration of the city since in the game there are around 2000 different Nazi Propaganda objects to be destroyed. Somewhat like Just Cause 2 where you destroy propaganda and you get money.

The games biggest flaw would be that it's one of those games that don't allow you to change the button config. The button config is set pretty well except driving forces you to use L2/R2 and no option to change it to classic X/Square.

Here's a gameplay video shortly after a spoiler so you can see a bit of the gameplay a few missions in where it starts making use of the gameplay features. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...B8iW4fa4#t=319

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Is Dragon's Crown a new IP? I thought it was just continuation of the Princess Crown line.
    It's country and Princess Crown's country aren't referenced. The only similarities would be having Crown in the name or the gameplay similarities and that isn't even very similar.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-21-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the overview, kupomogli. Saboteur sounds really interesting. I'm going grab a cheap copy next time I come across one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think I could get into that Saboteur game, but my only choice is a never going to happen choice -- using EA's origin drm system. Shame as despite it looking kind of GTA like which is unfortunate, it looks fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The Last of Us was such an amazing gaming experience. This game truly felt like a great representation of game as art. The character development was pretty much perfect and the ending was much better than most of the blockbuster films I've seen in the past decade. I highly recommend it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think Borderlands is a great example of one of the best games the last gen had to offer. Such an incredibly fun game to play. Irreverent, hilarious and hugely addictive. It really gave the modern FPS a much needed shot in the arm. And the second game bettered the first in almost every way, a rarity in modern games. Other new IPs I really enjoyed this last console cycle were Bioshock, Alan Wake, Dead Space (I think that one will be on almost everyone's list!), Uncharted (especially the second game... truly a perfectly crafted gaming experience), Crackdown (although the second one totally sucked), Mirror's Edge and Fear. I particularly like survival horror so this last generation of consoles really had some great new experiences for me.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alan Wake was an interesting game. Hope they make a sequel to it. I also enjoyed Deadly Premonition. It had its flaws but it made me keep coming back.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Would the Demon's/Dark Souls series apply here? I haven't seen those mentioned yet.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    The Last of Us was such an amazing gaming experience. This game truly felt like a great representation of game as art. The character development was pretty much perfect and the ending was much better than most of the blockbuster films I've seen in the past decade. I highly recommend it.
    I actually have that one arriving in the mail today for PS4. I tried to play it on the pS3 but there's a documented bug where it's unplayable on certain PS3 systems (my luck I have that one.) I never could see it beyond the opening scene with the suv and burning home as the bug was a glitch in auto/save load and it would crash and reload the drive infinitely without switching the pS3 off. I've wanted to play it a long time because the Uncharted crew made it and I know they know their stuff with gameplay and story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Would the Demon's/Dark Souls series apply here? I haven't seen those mentioned yet.
    Even if most don't consider Dark Souls(it's a new IP, completely different series from the same developer that plays almost exactly the same) Demon's Souls is its own game. I'm going to edit mine and add Demon's Souls. I'll leave off Dark Souls because it was clear where the devs were going with the name.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I won't rehash what everyone else already put up, but a few others I personally enjoyed:

Wartech
    Crackdown
    Fortune Street (old series, but new to the US)
    DeathSmiles

One of my friends swears by Valkyria Chronicles. I picked it up, but haven't really played it much yet.