Thread: Must Vent...Going to Explode...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Must Vent...Going to Explode...

I must now cry on all of the forum member's shoulders because I'm in the middle of my worst selling experience ever.

I listed my Dreamcast Broadband Adapter for sale a couple of weeks ago & it ended for $108 to a new user. Of course, he never responded to any emails & even hung up on me twice when I tried to call. I still remember his shrill cry "I don't want to talk to you!" right before he hung up the second time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3038810222

Alas, I reported him to eBay and believe it or not - they actually suspended his account.

Not wanting to relist, I tried the 2nd chance bidder thing they have on eBay now. The underbidder declined, & so I relisted the auction. Apparently when you do the 2nd chance thing, you lose the opportunity to get your listing fees back when relisting an item - so that was icing on the cake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=41053&rd=1

The new auction was bid up to $132.50 in the span of 3 days. On the 4th day the high bidder contacts me begging me to cancel his bid because he didn't know you couldn't play games online with the BBA anymore (save for PSO). I tell him to retract his bid & he says he can't because there isn't a choice for him to chose that matches the reason he's retracting.

I say what-the-hell-ever & be the nice guy & cancel his bid. That drops the auction to $102.50.

A couple of days later the new default high bidder of $102.50 emails & says since he was outbid, he bought a BBA somewhere else & wants me to cancel his bid.

I really can't fault his excuse, so I cancel his bid. That drops the auction to $1.25, but I know the new current bidder has put in $100 for his max. Guess what? He emails wanting me to cancel his bid.

Finally, I cancelled ALL the bids on the auction and put a in disclaimer asking for anyone with less than 5 feedback to email before bidding. Not that they have to honor that request, but maybe it'll help weed out some of the deadbeat bidders.

Anyone else had their auction wrecked in this manner?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, that's some bullshit you can't get your fees back after just offering the item to the 2nd place bidder.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That 2nd chance thing is useless. Never use it.

When you offer your item, you can select how long you want to offer the item to the bidder. It then makes the auction a "Buy It Now" for ONLY that bidder at his highest bid. You're better off contacting the bidder directly & avoiding eBay altogether.

Their selling point is you don't have to pay relisting fees when using the 2nd chance, but you're better off relisting it to everyone & getting your fees refunded when it sells the 2nd time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    That 2nd chance thing is useless. Never use it.

When you offer your item, you can select how long you want to offer the item to the bidder. It then makes the auction a "Buy It Now" for ONLY that bidder at his highest bid. You're better off contacting the bidder directly & avoiding eBay altogether.

Their selling point is you don't have to pay relisting fees when using the 2nd chance, but you're better off relisting it to everyone & getting your fees refunded when it sells the 2nd time.
    It is not totally useless. I used it quite frequently to clear out all of my N64 games. It works great if you have multiple items that have sold at a great price. That is the scenario I would recommend using this for, but I see your point, if you only have one item that you get screwed on in an auction, this is not the way to go.

Hope you have better luck in your ebay auctions!

Danny

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's true. I was only thinking about it as it related to my situation.

When you sell a game & the high bidder pays, and then you offer a 2nd copy to the underbidder, do you pay eBay fees for both transactions?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The second chance offer has no listing fees but does have final value fees. I think it is a way for ebay to collect more for people who were doing this already on their own.

Danny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I'm with the majority here. Screw the second chance deal.

Hey how can you tell a BBA from a normal adapter by looking at it (without the box) I have a ton of Dreamcast systems at the store I'm sure at least a few have BBAs on them.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    I'm with the majority here. Screw the second chance deal.

Hey how can you tell a BBA from a normal adapter by looking at it (without the box) I have a ton of Dreamcast systems at the store I'm sure at least a few have BBAs on them.

Adam
    Three easy ways:

1. It says LAN instead of LINE on the back

2. The port is a different size (since it uses ether cables instead of a phone line)

3. Atleast on mine, the S/N is on the outside of it (tacky...) instead of the inside where you can't see it from looking at the system.