Thread: Things to do with a Yobo USB NES-style controller?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Things to do with a Yobo USB NES-style controller?

Rokay, so because I've been playing Zelda Classic a lot and the controller I already had turned out to not be ideal, I experimented and bought a Yobo USB controller which was in the shape of an NES controller (original, not dogbone).

It mostly works. The only problem is the directions are too sensitive--if you're holding left or right but SLIGHTLY press up or down, it will detect you as pressing up or down. In Zelda this often results in Link zapping thin air instead of that moblin.

Okay, so first question:

Can I fix this? If so, how?

Second question:

If I can't fix this, is there something I can use the controller itself for, like cannibalizing its shell or parts for some other purpose? Is it edible?

Thanks in advance.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I don't have a lot of experience with tweaking USB controllers, but opening it up and taking a look at the connection between the D-pad and circuit board (usually connector feet set in rubber) and maybe working the rubber to make it a little more flexible may help. Maybe not. If not, dismantle the shell, stuff it with a blend of ricotta an mozzarella cheeses, cover it is a meat sauce and provel cheese, and bake for about 18 minutes or until shell has softened.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well, as it happens I did some investigating on my own with a screwdriver.

My experiences have been thus:

First off, its NOT a circuit board problem! ^__^ the problem is that the actual cross of the D-pad really is hitting the plungers that activate the various directions. I at first thought a little filing would fix this, but then realized I needed to elevate the cross a little so its not resting directly on the plungers above the button contacts. So I broke open an empty handsoap bottle for its spring, which I then cut down to size and then put on the pillar on the cross' underside to elevate it.

This has resulted in the directions taking more strength to press. However, it has also fixed the original problem, and I imagine this new one will go away as the controller gets used, or if it doesn't I can shorten or weaken the spring a bit.

Such an easy fix, its a shame Yobo doesn't just do it themselves.