Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub collections

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sub collections

Anyone have any interesting sub collections?

My personal pet project has been wrestling game collection. I'm really close to a complete n64 wrestling game set, only missing 3 games. Need WCW nitro for the last US game and VPW1 and NJPW Toukon Road 1 for Japan plus a few boxes. This little sub collection grew rather organically and I really didn't notice how much it grew until a buddy pointed it out. Japan has a bunch of really interesting wrestling games due to how many wrestling companies were really on fire in the late 80's - early 90's

I really think out of all the games I own Fire Pro Returns and VPW2 get the most play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0143_BURST002.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	7791

Android Game for all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice collection. I didn't see the Tecmo Wrestling game for NES in the pic. Do you have it. Of course NES had the couple of WWF games as well as the WCW one. Its not a genre I have got into all that much but I enjoy watching wrestling and should check some of them out. I have a friend that is into one of the Fire Pro games on PS2 I believe.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's not really something that I've thought about, or make a point to do, but I suppose I try to own just about every (domestic) survival horror game I know/learn of. I wouldn't overpay for anything, and I'm not trying to complete a checklist or anything. I don't separate them from the other games either. I'm just a big fan of the genre, and am taken to adding them to my collection.

Oh, I also have a thing about games developed/published by Telenet/Renovation (import exclusives as well, so long as they're playable to an English gamer), and to a lesser extend Working Designs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

At one point in time I tried to get all the 2D releases on a Nintendo system (NES, SNES, GB) and did for various franchises, and another I almost did but was like 3-5 short were the Tengen NES games as most of them are pretty decent. The only subsets if you could even call them that anymore would be racking up all the game sequels on a specific system (NES Mega Man 1-6, Final Fantasy 1+2 and 4-6 on GBA) stuff like that.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    At one point in time I tried to get all the 2D releases on a Nintendo system (NES, SNES, GB) and did for various franchises, and another I almost did but was like 3-5 short were the Tengen NES games as most of them are pretty decent. The only subsets if you could even call them that anymore would be racking up all the game sequels on a specific system (NES Mega Man 1-6, Final Fantasy 1+2 and 4-6 on GBA) stuff like that.
    I have all the NES tengen titles complete, unlicensed and the 3 licensed ones. That was fun to get together!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BenG76 View Post
    Nice collection. I didn't see the Tecmo Wrestling game for NES in the pic. Do you have it. Of course NES had the couple of WWF games as well as the WCW one. Its not a genre I have got into all that much but I enjoy watching wrestling and should check some of them out. I have a friend that is into one of the Fire Pro games on PS2 I believe.
    If it's on the PS2 it's Fire Pro Returns. Last Fire Pro game they ever made and total hidden gem for non wrestling people. I have heard of Tecmo Wrestling but haven't played it. I hear it is really good though. I'm not to big on the 8-bit wrestling games because most of them are terrible.

I'm kinda surprised I was expecting someone to have something like every single Mega Man or Mario game. I know someone out there has to be going for every Atlus game.

I'm haven't really thought about it but I might have a decent racing game collection. I'm a sucker for racing games so every time I find one that looks interesting or cheap I tend to grab it. My favorites tend to the the games just under the B tier. Things like Ford Street racing that has this really neat team mechanic or D1 Gran Prix that is an official drifting game.

Android Game for all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kaine I know and other than Tetris, Ms PacMan and Pacmania they're hardly expensive CIB, well at least compared to a lot of stuff people get stupid over with the old NES. It's a very doable collection of cool gold boxes and black carts to have given much of it as wicked Sega, Namco and Atari games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    It's not really something that I've thought about, or make a point to do, but I suppose I try to own just about every (domestic) survival horror game I know/learn of. I wouldn't overpay for anything, and I'm not trying to complete a checklist or anything. I don't separate them from the other games either. I'm just a big fan of the genre, and am taken to adding them to my collection.
    Oh yeah, me too. Survival horror is one genre I simply can't get enough of. Chances are, if it's disturbing, freaky, weird, unsettling or pants-wetting scary, I'll give it a try.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I sorta kinda have sub collections of action-adventure games (Zelda-likes) and shmps, across several systems.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I enjoy getting the different Jurassic Park games made for different consoles. I find even the bad games fun to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's more computer related,
    INFOCOM
    across all platforms:
    http://www.videogamecollectors.com/g..._itemId=202027

well there's a NES game included.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post

Oh, I also have a thing about games developed/published by Telenet/Renovation (import exclusives as well, so long as they're playable to an English gamer), and to a lesser extend Working Designs.
    I love Telenet games... I wouldn't be into Genesis much at all if it weren't for them.

I love wrestling games. Just got my Fire Suplex for Neo Geo AES in the mail today! I spent so much time meticulously recreating my favorite wrestlers in that game. Matter of fact, dusted it off the other day to make Jake Roberts and Earthquake after not playing it for a couple of years!

Like a lot of people, my sub collections were not intended as such, but came about anyway. The 3 Sengoku games on AES, 2D Castlevanias, the US versions of the 3 Rushing Beat games... I did seek out almost every 2D fighter on US Saturn and SNES at one point to have a big fighting game tournament with friends where games would be randomly chosen out of a hat...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While its not a primary focus, I am trying to buy every Shin Megami Tensei related North American release I can get my hands on. It won't be easy, but a complete set isn't impossible (PS1 Persona 1 probably one of the harder games I get at a decent price, and actually being about to PLAY Jack Bros....)
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Insert Coin (Level 0) retronintendonerd's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually have several sub collections. My main focus collecting consoles however my sub collections are:
    - Flash Carts - I love all the work that goes into them and how obscure some of them are and how they are keeping some really classic systems alive with homebrew and original games
    - Pokémon Games - I'm a Pokénerd nuff' said
    - Virtual Boy games - I'm weird and I love the system

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by retronintendonerd View Post
    - Virtual Boy games - I'm weird and I love the system
    Nothing wrong with that, I love the Virtual Boy as well. I only have like seven games though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    Nothing wrong with that, I love the Virtual Boy as well. I only have like seven games though.
    Thats more games than me right now. I only have 3 at the moment. One of them is the FlashBoy+ flashcart. I'm hoping to add onto the collection soon. I do have 2 consoles however. One is a custom one I did and the other is just an original one but they both have permanently fixed.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Kaine I know and other than Tetris, Ms PacMan and Pacmania they're hardly expensive CIB, well at least compared to a lot of stuff people get stupid over with the old NES. It's a very doable collection of cool gold boxes and black carts to have given much of it as wicked Sega, Namco and Atari games.
    Getting the pieces for tetris and pac-mania cost me the most.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retronintendonerd View Post
    I actually have several sub collections. My main focus collecting consoles however my sub collections are:
    - Flash Carts - I love all the work that goes into them and how obscure some of them are and how they are keeping some really classic systems alive with homebrew and original games
    That's an interesting sub collection. So you have multiple flash carts for the same system? I always found flash carts to be really interesting technically but never thought about collecting them. I don't own any myself though. Thought about getting one for my TG16 but never did.

Android Game for all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DK1105 View Post
    That's an interesting sub collection. So you have multiple flash carts for the same system? I always found flash carts to be really interesting technically but never thought about collecting them. I don't own any myself though. Thought about getting one for my TG16 but never did.
    I have a couple for the DS systems but other than that I have a Flashboy+ (Virtual Boy), EZ Flash V (GBA), Everdrive N8 (NES), SuperCard Duo (DS), R4 (DS), Acekard 2i (DS-DSi), and the Everdrive GB (GameBoy). I really love the Everdrives and intend on picking one up for the N64 but I may get the SD2SNES for my SNES. There's a guy I chat with on another forum that has a great collection of them. His YouTube channel is VectrexRoli

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Not sure I could call it a sub collection, and it wasn't necessarily intentional, but I've gathered a fair bit of Zelda stuff. As far as I know, the only US games I'm missing are the CD-i games, Hyrule Warriors (just haven't picked it up yet), and GBA G&W 4. Oh, and I don't have digital download re-releases. And I've got the special WW Wii U game, Wii-mote, DS-lite system, 3DS system, etc.