Thread: Burning Command & Conquer Gold Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Burning Command & Conquer Gold Edition

A few years ago, EA released this as a free download. Decided to revisit it today, but can't figure out how to burn it to a CD-r. I decompressed it and was left with a bunch of different files, where as it's supposed to be a ISO image. Trying to burn it with ImgBurn.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CommandandConquer.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	7807

Also, three of these folders include WinRar archives after I ran WinRar on the download itself. Should I leave those be, or decompress them as well?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-27-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is that still floating around or was it a get it while it was good situation? I had found the 10 year package with all sorts of junk and it hated windows 7 64bit so I'm sure it'll hate win8.1 even more and I'd love to find a version that would work.

Hey I just found this, you maybe interested: http://digiex.net/downloads/download...d-free-ea.html

Command & Conquer Gold - Patched Installer for Windows 7, 8 - Released for Free By EA
    The Gold Edition (basically, hi-res Windows port) of Command & Conquer 1 was released as freeware by Electronic Arts, to celebrate the 12th anniversary of the Command & Conquer franchise.

This installer gives you the full game, with all game music, playable without CDs, and upgraded with the fan-made 1.06c patch. The new features added by this patch give you:

Tons of bug fixes in the game engine, graphics and missions
    the ability to play the game in any higher resolution you want
    Improved multiplayer support using the CnCNet system
    The Covert Operations expansion pack
    All of the exclusive missions made for the console versions of C&C
    About a dozen remixed music tracks which were disabled in the original game
    All 3 original languages in which the game was released on PC (English, German and French), plus the Japanese language (voice sets only) from the console versions of the game

The added videos pack completes the game, giving you more than 60 minutes of live-action video briefings and 3D-rendered battle cutscenes

This installer also solves the fact that the CD installer of C&C95 is a 16-bit program, which doesn't run on 64-bit Windows systems.

Download: Complete No-CD game installation pack (v1.06c revision 2, no videos, all music included): 96.5 MB
    Download: Videos Addon (original English videos): 467.6 MB

Edit #2: http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/...les.html#ra303 (Seems you can also use this link for a similar patch to get Red Alert win95 too.)
    Last edited by Tanooki; 01-27-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've grabbed the downloads from elsewhere. I don't think EA still has them up at this time.

http://www.cncnz.com/features/freewa...conquer-games/

I'll check out your link, thanks.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-27-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks for the link I'll try it. That version I linked, I guess it is a lie and hates Win8.1 (maybe it just likes 8??) It bombed so hard I couldn't even close it, waited like 1-2min for it to time out and force a crash of it by win8 as I couldn't even do it from task mgr.

I'll try and pure one from EA off your link and see if it bombs too. I'm starting to get pissed at win8.1 a bit as it's cockblocking me on some of my favorite early 90s games (Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga being the big one, XWing and Tie FIghter collector's editions but with the Gog.com releases I dodged that bullet.) My Williams Pinball Classics (4 tables, not related to Pinball Arcade) fails. C&C95 here is dumping out. GRR!

Edit: Well a victory -- that original install custom job I found worked. It appears that the default EA did was to set a WIn98/ME compatibility mode and in turn it caused all the modern patches to have a pissy fit and cause a major memory error. Uncheck the box, game runs like the old days, yet nicer since it's full screen very high res so I can see a lot more of the area as it's opened up. This one goes definitely on my thumb drive. It also seems to include the additional unique stages the PS1 and N64 versions has for fun play along with others. I thought it had the addon CD package but I don't seem to see it. I never liked it much anyway so I don't care but that is odd.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 01-27-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It worked for me at least (I'm over 2/3's of the way through the GDI missions right now).

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wooo good job. I re-calibrated the install and messed with it, and it was a compatibility pissing match causing the issue. I only cleared up through stage 3 of the GDI as it was late. I'll have my fun with it, probably going to get my ass handed to me on those 2 annoying commando stages (hate them, love the rest of the game.)

I also snapped up Tiberian Sun too so I'll have to see how that one installs and one if not both will end up on my 32GB stick drive I keep stuff on in my desk.