0 Posts

Default Any gameboy collectors here ?

Are there any gameboy collectors here ?
    I collect PAL gameboy games cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I used to be, mostly US but I had a few JP and UK games. I gave it all up and just stuck with the GBA. I don't have a lot of those either but it's a situation of quality over quantity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're collecting Game Boy games, now is a good time for it. Prices on games are mostly pretty low from what I've seen and a working original unit can be had very inexpensively too. If like me you go for playability over collectability, the Game Boy would seem to be a good choice for getting a lot of bang for your buck. It's too bad I'm broke right now or I might consider taking advantage.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gameboy kind of has always stayed relatively cheap and flat. You get a few games here and there that had lower runs and/or are tied to a franchise that'll pop it up a bit like Castlevania Legends for one or Kid Dracula, but most of them if you avoid the manuals and especially the boxes (ugh) you won't go broke piling up on games pretty quick. The one thing on a cart that hasn't been fouled up price wise just because it's Nintendo is their handheld Gameboy games in general (GB, GBC and GBA.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect NTSC CIBs, somewhere around 490 of the 511 set. Was going to finish it off at one point but sold my Spud's last year and finishing the set is no longer a priority.

I'm not much of a GB gamer, I just enjoy the different artworks and the difficulty in finding the games. They make some NES "rares" look like commons!
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a pretty good collection of the games I consider to be good. I don't really care if it is CIB or not. They are usually pretty cheap and easy to find. It is still one of my favorite systems to collect for.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think I remember that spud sale. In all honesty due to the small size of the box, if this was 5 years ago when paper didn't = dollar signs and it was just kind of part of the package for just nothing or a few bucks more I'd be all over old GB boxes. I loved the art, and because of their small size (especially flattened) they would be easy to display some favorites that looked just great. Konami had some really good variety in art on their boxes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Made this video with some friends it shows all PAL gameboy games.
    There are not many gameboy lists out there .
    So i hope that people that collect PAL gameboy games find this games list helpfull.

Note to PAL collectors : there are frankensteins out there.
    Boxxle 2 for exsample has a pal box and manual (German ) but the cart is NTSC.
    This list shows all pall carts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have about 50 Gameboy games, mostly loose. Kid Dracula, Ultimas, Final Fantasies, Nobunaga's Ambition, Metroid II, Ishido... I mainly play them on the Super Gameboy and like to tweak the screen colors.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    I have about 50 Gameboy games, mostly loose. Kid Dracula, Ultimas, Final Fantasies, Nobunaga's Ambition, Metroid II, Ishido... I mainly play them on the Super Gameboy and like to tweak the screen colors.
    Yeah the gameboy has some great gameplay for a few bucks.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect Game Boy and have about a hundred games. Some great game play for cheap too. I was just able find The Cool Spot Adventure and Out of Gas for a few bucks a piece at a store I didn't expect to find anything at at all.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I've a stange affection for Game Boy collecting. It is my least focused on platform - meaning I've never or hardly ever researched the library, and I don't actively search out games. But somewhere along the line I started picking up titles which caught my attention in one way or another.
    I was never a fan of the original Game Boy. I had access to one from its release and I did play hours upon hours of Motocross Maniacs and Revenge of the Gator but it wasn't something that I ever wanted to own. It wasn't until 2003 that I owned one after I moved into an apartment and found in a closet a carry case containing an original Game Boy and an assoptment of games.

Buying original Game Boy games didn't cross my mind until sometime in '06 or '07. An eBay seller I frequently buy from had a $.99 cart with the name Rubble Saver - on the name alone, not knowing anything else about the game, I bought it.

The surprise and sense of wonder in finding such an unknown (to me) game is something that I'm not likely to get from any other mainstream game platform. The GameBoy library is so varied and vast, and the prices are generally so low that it is cheap fun to try out new games or just buy one because of intersting cover art or because I'm a fan of other games published by that particular company.

I now have close to 150 games, a whole lot of "duds" in among those, but nearly every one has some redeeming qualities.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 02-08-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think that's the thing the old Gameboy and even the Color has for it, quantity, yet quality in enough quantity hiding there too. Some of it glaringly obvious, others are what some could consider a polished turd but there's something nice about that game so it's worth keeping around for one reason or another. I swear I said I'd never go after the old system again but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered it more and more since the prices don't blow for Nintendo handhelds, and they're so easy to stuff in a tray and eat up so little space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just have a small collection of cartridges, around half that were bought new back in the day for my Super Game Boy and the others bought loose in the 2000's. Amounts to somewhere between 12-15 cartridges, along with the hybrid release of Zelda DX and two dedicated GBC cartridges (The two Zelda Oracle games). One of my smallest collections.

The Game Boy Everdrive however has rectified this glaring oversight and opened up dozens of excellent new experiences. Can't wait for the GBA counterpart to complement my collection of 30 or so GBA cartridges.

Interestingly, I never owned an original Game Boy or Game Boy Color. The Super Game Boy was where I started and then I gained GBC/GBA compatibility when the Game Boy Player appeared. The quality of the screen was never acceptable to me until the excellent backlit revision of the SP appeared late in the GBA's life, which was my first handheld in this family (Not including the backwards compatible DS slightly earlier, the first backlit Nintendo handheld in the West and not coincidentally, my first Nintendo handheld).

I wonder how many other Game Boy fans just stuck with the tv options like I did.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-09-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I played the handheld Gameboy Color with the wormlight back in the day, but now I mainly use the Super Gameboy SNES adapter, and occasionally use a GBA SP, and would like to pick up a backlit Gameboy and modded GBC. The wormlight no longer suffices for me.

I noticed tonight that the original Gameboy handheld is going for $40 on Amazon. It was listing for less than $10 just a couple years ago. Of course, you can generally get things on Ebay for 1/4 to 1/2 the Amazon price.
    Last edited by Casati; 02-09-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/grou...253732440.html

I saw these on another forum and thought I would share it in this thread. I am thinking of ordering one soon.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've heard that chinese GB Boy Color thing is actually fairly solid. The GBC unlike the GBA didn't use anything to exotic, definitely nothing truly custom like that ARM setup it has. The screen, compatibility, audio are supposedly very nice.

Now, you know Leo you're one of many I've read before that avoided the GB itself but not the games. Uncomfortable small system for hands, crappy or too small screen for eye pain or bad eyes that can't handle it, whatever. Usually I've seen more people talk up the GB Player (very lately the Retron 5) but a few did the SuperGB too. It opened a door to like 99.?% compatibility with the systems they supported on those Nintendo devices and let people enjoy the games on a comfy controller and a big screen. That kind of is why the market trended towards those XL DS, 3DS, N3DS sized systems too.

Personally, I never had a problem, but I also have abnormally good eyes in that they're like 20/10 20/15 on them so I can see faster/sharper than the standard 20-20, and other than the L/R buttons some on the SP style GBA Ive never had hand cramping issues too. The only time I think anyone could universally hate a system was the TFT reflective cheap out screens the stock GBA had, you had to be in sunlight or under a halogen bulb to see that stuff well. The GBC used it too, but the panel was brighter and easier to make out with far less colors.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect GB games, but it's not one that I seek out as much as the NES and SNES. I have a pretty modest collection of 30, but most of them are games I enjoy/really wanted or was curious about. I love how cheap the games are and pick some up here and there. The only ones I'm really looking for right now(that come to mind) are the last two TMNT games, the Mega Man games(excpet 2, which I have), Batman, and R-Type DX.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron