Thread: Sinclair ZX80 "complete" (read for quotes)

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Default Sinclair ZX80 "complete" (read for quotes)

I don't often ask this as I generally can figure out what somethings worth my self but this one has me stumped only because it was a rare instance.

I'm curious as to the value of a Sinclair ZX80 but its a little different than the usual its "complete" but at the same time its not....i'll explain.

back in the early 80's my dad was heavy into the computer scene and wasn't happy with what apple had to offer so he looked else where, TRS 80's, Commodores and this Sinclair among others.
    He told me that he did a mail order from the back of a magazine for this ZX80 as a kit. for those of you who don't know the kit you would have to assemble your self. I cant remember if it had the while shell in the kit or not but that's not important. what is important is the cost. it was way cheaper if you put it together your self (of course) and they gave pretty good instructions on how to do it.
    so he "mailed his check and/or money order to the address below" and waited.

the box that came was normal, it was post marked august 21st '81 as a common carrier from UPS.

he said he popped it open to find an apology letter informing him that the kits had sold out.....so they sent him an assembled unit instead. It came in the same box as his room mates kit, wrapped in bubble wrap, manual, 3.5mm cables only his was assembled and without the build instructions.

if I remember correctly he said the kit didn't come with a power supply but he worked at radio shack at the time and Atari 2600 adaptors worked just fine.

so with all that in consideration what do you think the value would be at?
    I don't have the letter but I think I can get it because if I remember correctly he thought it might be important some day so he saved it. it was typed and signed. signed with a real signature not a stamp
    and that story with how it came and what it came with is why I say "complete" the way I do

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Boxed in good condition, and if you can find the letter, it may be worth upwards of 150-200 GBP. That sort of region. Unsurprisingly, the ones still left in kits, unused, are worth the most.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

craziness.

like I said the box is pretty plain, it was a plain brown box with a shipping label and a post mark from UPS and inside was the system book and 3.5mm cables. I'm not sure if the pre assembled ones came with any thing more that's why I am trying to be the most descriptive as I can about it

edit:

more craziness
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinclair-ZX8...vip=true&rt=nc

I added that last night, it had 22 days left and some one picked it up for that price. holy cow. as I said mine came in a plain brown box no Styrofoam or ac adapter because it was supposed to be a kit originally but still.
    I think I am gonna ship it back to my pop and see what he wants to do with it...in another box of course
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 02-15-2015 at 04:13 AM.