Thread: Bedroom/gaming room

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bedroom/gaming room

So, next year, I will be moving into an apartment at school; sadly, the bedrooms are pretty small (10x10), and there is no extra room for me to setup a gameroom. That leaves me with one option: make my bedroom my game room. Has anyone ever done such a thing? I'd like to know tips on how to get the most of my space. Currently, I have a 4 ft long tv stand for my 32 inch CRT tv and a 3 ft. long tv stand for my LCD tv. Thoughts?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Ikea.

They specialize in lots of storage crammed into tiny spaces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

We kind of have a similar issue here. But it's because of being a family of 5 in a duplex. We have a small tv stand behind the couch with the mainly played classic systems on it. Then, the rest are on a small shelf in our bedroom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

Please excuse the mess. Trying to rearrange stuff, and the wife and I got hit with some nasty cold.

Also, our more modern systems are hooked up to either the bedroom tv on our dresser or the living room tv.

Bedroom- my PS3, 360, and WiiU

Living room- family PS3 and Wii.

None of it takes up much room at all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy cow! Ten feet! You've got a 10'x10' room! You mean to say, with 100 square feet of space you are worried that you can't fit your games, bed, and clothes?

Ok. Well, you'll need to think multi-purpose, compact, and vertical obviously.

First, look for a chair bed--not a futon; not a sofa bed! You know--something like this Ikea chair-bed. It lays out flat into a bed, rolls up nicely when you are awake, and can act like a chair (the name implies this, duh!)

Second, consider getting a tall dresser to store games and clothes. Just cram all your clothes in a drawer, maybe a drawer and a half. No one is really going to care if you have three weeks of clothes or less. If they do, make sure to tell them how proud you are to have an entire game collection jammed into your dresser and that you are above such petty things as impressing people by never wearing the same thing twice.

Finally, get some kind of cart with shelves. You can stack systems and on top, you can place your TV. You don't need a 32, 40, or 50 inch screen.

With all that left over space, you can rent the remainder of the room and split the rent.

Top shelf!!!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

At one point when I was younger and renting I had about 1200 games in a 10x10 with about 15 systems hooked up at the time. I had a twin bed and a pretty average closet. I had a good entertainment center that had a lot of wide shelving for systems. I used a lot of inexpensive media shelves from Wal-Mart and Target. I used 2 of my 4 dresser drawers for movies, shelved most of the games, but stacked my loose NES carts on the floor in stacks of 50 or so under the window to use space well. It all worked out very well, and I still had plenty of space for other stuff. It's all about good shelving and organization. Then, when you get to buy yourself a nice big house, you take den or a basement and make it your happy place where you can spread out. That part is the fun part.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Well if it's a temporary living situation while you're at school, I would just suggest a laptop with various emulators or a handheld type console. Keep your collection stored somewhere else until you have more space.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Well if it's a temporary living situation while you're at school, I would just suggest a laptop with various emulators or a handheld type console. Keep your collection stored somewhere else until you have more space.
    Yes, just if you leave your stuff at home, make sure that one, your parents are cool with this, and two, they know not to throw it out or get rid of it in a garage sale or something. It's been like 50 years and my dad still brings up from time to time about grandma throwing out his baseball cards, I'm sure if there'd been video games back then those would've been toast as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry I just started bringing out old retro systems and buying some more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10488292_752664331490916_1989255138469896512_n.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	7850 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10411027_752664354824247_42146857261617564_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	7851 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10958855_752664311490918_6464460751525814545_n.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	7852

lol, this all fit into a small space

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I'm going to be the jerk and say it.

Ditch the crt and get a 32inch LCD.
    It's more flexible and space friendly. Just get a cheepo one since it's for college. Where i work sells a 32inch hisense for $168. It's perfect for this situation. It can also double as a computer monitor

I'm using a 40inch hisense a a computer monitor now. It's kinda big but does the job. I'll have to take pics of the room i have my games in. It's a similar size (11x12) with a ikea fold up couch bed. Like that chair bed some one was talking about earlier just bigger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Move the fridge and microwave elsewhere and construct a comfy 2-seater where those are. 32" LCD opposite of that can double as a PC monitor and TV. Get a PC and Xbox 360 controller for all your retro systems, then if your into current systems there should still be space.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey if your keeping the crt that's cool, I love retro gaming on old screens, I love Scanlines. What I did on mines I got 20inch LCD with Vga SLG (scanlines Generator) this cost me like 30 bucks off ebay and I got a MyGica V2V Pro Video to VGA OSD Monitor Converter, then Boom Snes,Genesis,N64,Psx on LCD with Scanlines. Saves soooo much space.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post

Move the fridge and microwave elsewhere and construct a comfy 2-seater where those are. 32" LCD opposite of that can double as a PC monitor and TV. Get a PC and Xbox 360 controller for all your retro systems, then if your into current systems there should still be space.
    Wow That's Gangster, I wish I was young again. I'd get that same setup.