Thread: favorite home Pac Man

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default favorite home Pac Man

I like to know what is your favorite home version of pac man(or Puckman) including consoles, handhelds, and tabletops, But not MAME or any squels like Ms.Pac Man, Pac Man Plus, etc.

PS no clones either (mouse Trap, Amidar, K.C., etc.)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because it's the only version I own, I would have to say the Namco Museum version on PS2 by default, but like it because I can use my Blaze Twin Shock arcade stick to play it...

Yes, I am more neo than retro...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I gonna get lynched for saying K.C. Munchkin?

If that's disqualified, then I'll put in my vote for the Coleco tabletop version. I always liked it, even if it was noisy as hell. Seems like I remember Electronic Games Magazine publishing a schematic of how you could open the cases of the Coleco tabletops and install a "mute switch" back in the day - wish I remembered how that went.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have only played it on the NES, so I guess I am going to have to go with that one... I have played pac-man rip-offs on the PC, but they were... crap...
    ~Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I was allowed Ms Pac man, it would be the 7800 version HANDS DOWN.

Since I'm not, I really like the NES Tengen Pac man. Good graphics and sound, good arcade perspective, and of course, the cut scenes.

I like my InteliVision Pac Man, but it's too "different" from the arcade version to beat out the NES version. That said, the Intelly version looks amazing. IMO the best first generation console version. NES is second generation in my book...
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pac-Man on the NES. I just love playing it with the NES Advantage! It's also pretty great on GameGear (but kinda sucks on GameBoy due to the fact you can only see half of the screen at a time). I'm also a pretty big fan of the original game that can be played inside Pac-Man World for the PSone.

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In all honesty I'd have to say right now it's the 2600 Pacman HACK from Rob Kudla. Yeah it's just a hack of Mspacman, but it fulfilled all my dreams (yes dreams) of how Pacman could've been on the 2600! Although it just came out in the past 3-4 years, it definitely filled up a missing part of my pysche :P And thus right now gets top mention

What other pacmans have I had growing up...

Coleco tabletop: I wanted this so bad and when I finally got it, I didn't like how the main color was RED (maybe they couldn't help this at the time). I kept thinking how it should've been blue, but oh well.. and the SOUND. Phosphor is right in that it was LOUD. And the whining! Oi vay! NYAAAAA NYAAAA NYAAAA NYAAA NYAAAA NYAAAAAAA NYAAAAA

5200 version: Got this by default when my mom bought my 5200 At first I was overwhelmed and naturally loved it.. But as I played it, since it was the closest to the arcade game you could get then, it made it's differences from it that much more apparent. I couldn't get out of my mind the more unforgiviing collision detection (in the arcade game you could "kiss" the ghosts skirts.. but in the 5200 that was instant death ) Also the sounds were almost there but just "off" enough to the point it got annoying to me. What's tragic is there is an Atari 8bit version where everything's the same except the dot eating sound was much more improved and closer to the arcade game (i.e. wocka wocka wocka :P). If that sound was in the 5200 version, I think my outlook of the game over time might've been a whole lot different. It's the little things that count

Lessee... 2600 Pacman. I liked it. Played it lots. Won a whole new 2600 by playing it in a local contest which is a whole other story. That being said, we all know it aint the greatest

I had other Pacmans.. mostly handhelds. The Apple II version. But they're all pretty much secondary. Yep.. the 2600 hack is king

Modern Age
    The NES pacman was a pretty good entry. But it was years later, so it wasn't such a long stretch of the imagination to get an "arcade perfect" Pacman. We all know it really wasn't arcade perfect (far from it). But it sure did look good

Then of course today you got all your emulators and your officially released collections. To me the best right now is obviously Mame playing Pacman on the Xbox. The resolution is even better than the official one on Namco Arcade Classics! I like playing it full screen to get that "5200 feel" :P

"5200 mode"

regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never been a massive Pac-man player but I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the Game Gear version plays. I was testing my Game Gear Consoles out the other day (I've got eight in various states!) and I was using Pac-man as a tester. I ended up 'testing' for far longer than I planned to!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the 5200 Pac-Man because it is different enough from the coin-op to require relearning the game patterns. It is very fast, and I love the loud ghost-eaten sound. The fat sprites look nice to me too.

Of course I love the original coin-op on the Namco compilations too.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I am limited to just Puck-Man and that is what it is called in Japan
    (You can see why they changed it) I would say The one on my
    Namco Museum Vol. 1 disc for my PSX.

But I have a question I like to ask all of you Pacmaniacs out there
    What is your all time favorite Arcade Pac Man title. Mine is Pac Jr
    The last time I saw it at an Arcade I scored over 1 million.

But remember Pac Man also gave us the 2 strangest arcade games EVER
    Professor Pac and Baby Pac the latter was a crazy video game/pinball combo machine which was just about impossible to play well by anyone

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All right baby.... How about the ColecoVision version?
    Don't you know about it?
    Then just download the sneak preview and try using MESS...

http://www.opcodegames.com/modules/D...ds/pac01.zip.1

It's a standard zip file. Just rename it to pac01.zip after downloading.

Ok, there isn't any real gameplay, but I am still halfway, around 40% done.
    This version will be killer, ever better than the NES one, I can assure. And Ms Pac-Man will be there too.

Oops, I almost forgot: place credits with # and start the game with 1 or 2 in the keypad. Again, there isn't nay real gameplay.

Opcode
    Eduardo Mello
    [url]www.opcodegames.com[/url]
    Opcode Games - Bringing new life to your ColecoVision
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

My favorite is the Atari XEGS/computer version. Looks a little better than the 5200 version, but you can play it with a regular joystick!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a copy of pac-man for the 2600 done by ebivision... they were produced in limited quantities, but it is an amazing version of the game (especoally considering its a 2600 game)
    Load "*",8,1