Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone seen a pirate N64 game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You don't need one, just something sturdy and very flat you can wedge in there is all. They're probably taking razors off the market there because they don't want the population armed and dangerous.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You don't need one, just something sturdy and very flat you can wedge in there is all. They're probably taking razors off the market there because they don't want the population armed and dangerous.
    Ok, so I finally managed to pop it open! My hands (and my right thumb) are going through the consequences, but it's all worth it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well now that is an interesting fake. I am not 100% certain, but I think it's safe to say Nintendo quit using glop top blobs like that on the SNES. Some Star Fox games were like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that is interesting. No metal shielding on it either like normally appears on N64 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pirates don't care about shielding, just money and that's an expense.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Well now that is an interesting fake. I am not 100% certain, but I think it's safe to say Nintendo quit using glop top blobs like that on the SNES. Some Star Fox games were like that.
    Yep, as far as I know the first run of Star Fox on SNES had those weird blobs. I wonder why they even bothered to spend money making this fake, considering it's not a very well known (or enjoyable, for that matter) game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If I remember it's a somewhat interesting entry because it's NOT a fighter but a brawler/platformer. It looked decent, and I know it didn't rate really high but not god awfully either. I think it probably took a bit of a hit alone just because it wasn't the MK fighter people wanted. Perhaps where it was made there was a better following.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Pirates tended to make fakes off any game they could, maybe it was an easy game to copy and manufacture custom boards and chips for. A few of the fake N64 games seem to be of Midway games for some reason.

I've actually heard of people having fake N64 games that didn't contain any chips and didn't work, they were just made to look like real games while ripping people off.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

There was a story a handful of years ago about a guy who found a fault in a particular N64 cartridge that caused some sort of feedback loop when booting up that would short out the system. He figured out how it worked, bugged a few cheap games to have the flaw, spread them around local flea markets and then made it known that he could fix the broken systems on the cheap. Supposedly made a killing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    There was a story a handful of years ago about a guy who found a fault in a particular N64 cartridge that caused some sort of feedback loop when booting up that would short out the system. He figured out how it worked, bugged a few cheap games to have the flaw, spread them around local flea markets and then made it known that he could fix the broken systems on the cheap. Supposedly made a killing.
    You're not thinking of http://www.actsofgord.com/Wrath/chapter03.php , are you?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    You're not thinking of http://www.actsofgord.com/Wrath/chapter03.php , are you?
    Almost. After reading that, I got curious as to if anyone else had explored this and did some Googling. Found the story I mentioned on a livejournal page that belonged to a former mom and pop game store owner. And, like many of the neat things I find, I guess I didn't have the forethought to bookmark it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow that's despicable. If that person ever got caught they'd be in serious trouble for destruction of property with intend to defraud and the fraud to those who fell into it and paid for the fix.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Pirates tended to make fakes off any game they could, maybe it was an easy game to copy and manufacture custom boards and chips for. A few of the fake N64 games seem to be of Midway games for some reason.

I've actually heard of people having fake N64 games that didn't contain any chips and didn't work, they were just made to look like real games while ripping people off.
    That's what I sort of guessed from the situation, some pirates were pretty desperate back then hehe. I also wanted to show this to everyone because I saw somewhere (can't remember where) that there were only a handful of pirate N64 games, and they were certain that those were the only ones, whereas I have for sure seen way more than the ones they mentioned here in Venezuela. It seems you guys here are aware of the fact that the pirate N64 games were more widespread than originally thought.

And regarding the guy who bugged the games to damage systems, you suck.
    Last edited by clicsmodernos; 03-08-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You're right, there are more, but some pigheaded types at certain sites will argue that it was like 2 or 3 specific games and that's it. It's easier to be right about that and stick your fingers in your ears and make sound than take in the facts. I recall a really lame argument going years over how many Sachen games actually exist for the NES and the site despite the evidence proven by a member with said games just still isn't good enough. Some people don't want to hear the truth because suddenly their so called complete set or whatever illogical garbage gets shattered.