Thread: What would you spend on Little Samson CIB very good condition?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    truthseeker1979

Default What would you spend on Little Samson CIB very good condition?

Hi everybody!

I'm new here and this is my first post. I have been collecting NES related stuff for a couple of years now and I love the nostalgia around it. As you may notice of my writing I'm not American but Swedish (but live in Norway) and that means I collect the SCN region games. But here is the thing, about a year ago I had the oppertunity to buy some rev-a games in really good condition. So I bought Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid, and without knowing what it was worth (the SCN CIB version is only about 400$) Little Samson.
    I'm now thinking about selling off the rev-a games and fully focus on SCN games. Because I'm swedish I'm not allowed to sell internationaly on e-bay so I thought I'd check here.

What would you pay for a rev-a Little Samson
    Cartrige: mint condition
    Box: very good condition (looks almost new)
    manual: very good (someone wrote a gaming-code and erased it)

Have a nice day guys!!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, welcome to the forums. I think we have a sub forum for this kind of post but I am sure they will go easy on you since it is your first post. I personally wouldn't pay very much for Little Samson. It has gotten beyond the hype and gone to insane levels. It is a sellers market for sure. If you don't have much feedback it will be harder to sell something of high value on any forum. Good luck with the sale though.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    truthseeker1979

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    Hey, welcome to the forums. I think we have a sub forum for this kind of post but I am sure they will go easy on you since it is your first post. I personally wouldn't pay very much for Little Samson. It has gotten beyond the hype and gone to insane levels. It is a sellers market for sure. If you don't have much feedback it will be harder to sell something of high value on any forum. Good luck with the sale though.
    Yeah. I could never afford to pay e-bay prices if I was to buy it today, the price for the scn version is much more reasonable. After reading around the forum i understand that you need to have quite alot of posts and credibility to be a seller here so I guess I just have to keep on posting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Personally I wouldn't drop more than $100-150 or so for it, but that's because I live in the reality of what was, not is old school game buying. I don't like paying over retail, and in the few cases I would it would be a genuinely rare game and the pricing before people got all into ripping each other off about 4 years ago. Realistically a PAL game, I can't say, you're in Oslo I see. But in the US, the sick sad truth is that a US version is around $1000 just for the game alone so paper is going to get even far more ridiculous.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Kinda confused about your post, are you selling this item or just asking what it is worth?
    You say 'what would you pay' it sounds like you are taking offers...

Either way this topic should be moved.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    truthseeker1979

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Kinda confused about your post, are you selling this item or just asking what it is worth?
    You say 'what would you pay' it sounds like you are taking offers...

Either way this topic should be moved.
    I'm sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum and to answer your question, after reading posts about selling here it obvious that you need to be a long time poster (member) with alot of cred to be able to sell here so I'm really just curious what people are willing to pay as e-bay prices are ridiculously high. But of course if someone drops an offer I can't refuse it's upp for grabs.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    truthseeker1979

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Personally I wouldn't drop more than $100-150 or so for it, but that's because I live in the reality of what was, not is old school game buying. I don't like paying over retail, and in the few cases I would it would be a genuinely rare game and the pricing before people got all into ripping each other off about 4 years ago. Realistically a PAL game, I can't say, you're in Oslo I see. But in the US, the sick sad truth is that a US version is around $1000 just for the game alone so paper is going to get even far more ridiculous.
    Ok, thanks for your answer. But in your opinion do you think it's going to get more expencive or is it just a hyped price that will drop soon??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm sure it will increase. Those who have that kind of money to fritter on an old cart are the elitists and the rich who don't care what something will cost if they can own it or make money off it to the loss of whoever else it hurts for one reason or another. That's how it has been for like four years so far and keeps escalating. About 3 years ago now I think was when Samson shot up to like $300 just for the game, now it's 3x that much. I don't see it falling off unless some large hoard of them are found somewhere that puts enough on the market to drop it. Those who got it cheap and have held it this long probably will keep it unless they give up and sell out. Those who got it cheaper in the last couple of years won't be anywhere near as attached, they'll flip for profit. And then you have those who don't care about games, just the cash, and they'll squeeze as much as they can and that keeps going.

I got out of buying old NES/SNES games off the internet in mid-2013 because I was disgusted how things have gone. It hasn't improved, but I do still look in hopes of seeing those who caused the problem suffer for it eventually as all things happen with blow ups like this over the decades.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

There are more people trying to complete full US sets, than copies of the rarer games like samson, Stadium events and bobble bobble 2 exist, so as those copies get bought up by collectors that are not willing to sell, it will continue to go up, it will however like atari. once all the people who grew up with the games are either too old, married or dead , the value will plummet and the game will go back to a reasonable amount (though still high because it is a good game and scarce)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$75 would be my max.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll say this much at the price it's at now if I had it I'd sell it in a heartbeat. I'm right in there now on wanting my own early 80s very late 70s pinball machine in my big room here. I'd swap out one thing I'd get little use out of for one I'd play the crap out of for years alone and with my kid. I used to have a 2/3 size zizzle pirates of the caribbean pinball I loved but the whole mobo blew on it and I had to pitch it some years back and I played the hell out of it daily. Coincidentally I do have some of those not let loose games much like Bonk and Bubble Bobble 2 but I really don't feel the need to sell them, same with the $100+ stuff on SNES too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I remember when $1000 CIB seemed high, and now carts are closing in on that.

Going back further, I remember selling mine in 2007 for $100 and I still made money.

Further yet, my first ebay purchase early 2004 was for a boxed Samson. $54 winning bid, and that was a lot to pay back then.

If I didn't add this back into my collection in 2010, I'd be very hesitant and bitter to pay today's price. Even a year ago you could get it for under $500 loose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Was $54 really a lot for a complete copy? There isn't a pricing history online going back that far. I would have considered that a very fair price because it was CIB and sold for that basically new when you figure tax.

I was serious though about that comment earlier. If I had this one I'd sell it. I'm finding I'd get more days/years of daily use out of a pinball machine versus a valuable or a few valuable old games. I kind of wonder staring at the shelf next to me without running to ebay what i'd get if I just said F-it and sold that stuff and the retron5, used real hardware, and got a flash cart. I mean I've got Bomberman 2, Bonk, Bubble Bobble 2, Dragon warrior 4, Duck Tales 2, Gradius 2 retrozone, Gun Nac, Im Kid Dracula retrozone, Megaman 1-6 (2 and 5 with manuals), Mighty Final Fight, North & South, RC Pro Am 2, River City Ransom, and various others including a nes shell supervision 115in1 cart. All that stuff is that $40-50+ range games alone. SNES has a decent supply too especially the RPGs as most I have the maps/manuals for. (Before posting I did a fast check, on that list alone minus the 2 retrozone carts, that's over $1300.) I could totally see without much reserve getting rid of a few of those which add up to at least a 1/3 of that. No I'm not asking for offers, if I do ever go that way you'll know about it. Sometimes I think I'd just be happier keeping the few I grew up with buying new and some of the after market 90s buys I'm attached to and that's it but I know I'd miss some of it in time (same goes with SNES because while I like Wild Guns, I don't need it yet I keep it.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Was $54 really a lot for a complete copy? There isn't a pricing history online going back that far. I would have considered that a very fair price because it was CIB and sold for that basically new when you figure tax.

I was serious though about that comment earlier. If I had this one I'd sell it. I'm finding I'd get more days/years of daily use out of a pinball machine versus a valuable or a few valuable old games. I kind of wonder staring at the shelf next to me without running to ebay what i'd get if I just said F-it and sold that stuff and the retron5, used real hardware, and got a flash cart. I mean I've got Bomberman 2, Bonk, Bubble Bobble 2, Dragon warrior 4, Duck Tales 2, Gradius 2 retrozone, Gun Nac, Im Kid Dracula retrozone, Megaman 1-6 (2 and 5 with manuals), Mighty Final Fight, North & South, RC Pro Am 2, River City Ransom, and various others including a nes shell supervision 115in1 cart. All that stuff is that $40-50+ range games alone. SNES has a decent supply too especially the RPGs as most I have the maps/manuals for. (Before posting I did a fast check, on that list alone minus the 2 retrozone carts, that's over $1300.) I could totally see without much reserve getting rid of a few of those which add up to at least a 1/3 of that. No I'm not asking for offers, if I do ever go that way you'll know about it. Sometimes I think I'd just be happier keeping the few I grew up with buying new and some of the after market 90s buys I'm attached to and that's it but I know I'd miss some of it in time (same goes with SNES because while I like Wild Guns, I don't need it yet I keep it.)
    $54 boxed, I had to wait like another year for a manual auction which I won for $9.61 or $10.61 or something. I feel like back then, by and large boxes and manuals didn't influence the price a whole lot on most things. I still recall things like Megaman 1 selling for $30 boxed and $30 loose at the local shop.

$54 was the most I'd spent on a single game back then, and getting sellers to accept a money order from Canada was difficult. Combined with the fact that Samson wasn't an everyday title back then, I had to throw in a high bid. I feel like carts might have been $30ish at most, so $24 really was a lot to pay for a box then. Same seller at the same time had a boxed F2 that went for $76, I got outbid at $75 thinking that was already a pretty healthy bid.

It's interesting to see how things have changed in a decade, and it'll be interesting to see in another 10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah no doubt. I mean really the heavy hitters even now weren't so heavy 4-5 years ago, definitely not if you tack on 1-2 more years on that. It's just nuts lately and has stayed crazy. It'll change in time.

I was on/off on this about making a thread, but as I said I had another interest now -- pinball. It's not in perfect shape, but for what I paid and with it being a rare table (1750 made) it was a good deal for me and with it being a more basic table to run, easier to deal with issues since it's mostly over my head still at this rate. Yes they cost more than games, but since they're the ultimate in random fun where you can go 5min or 2 hours it's far more accessible in home for me and readily easy to do than a video game that rots on a shelf I'm too lazy or disinterested in to use.

Gold Ball, Bally/Midway - 1983 Basic early solid state table with a layout like most electromagnetic tables of the era just a couple years before had.

Personally if I had the $1575 I would have gone a little farther up the road for a totally reshopped Black Knight, but I thought better of it because I have it on Pinball Arcade for free. :P That's why I said I was still tempted. If I sell the useless NES/SNES high dollar stuff I've built up that I really don't use, I could do it, but I question where I'd find a place for it and I"m not letting go of Gold Ball as I like it as does my 3 year old.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 03-23-2015 at 10:37 AM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Back around 1999 and for a couple of years after I worked at a FuncoLand, and I used to see all of these holy grail NES carts with an alarming frequency, and back then they barely cost anything. I still have one of the old pricing papers that lists Bandit Kings of Ancient China for 29 cents. I swear, I saw Fire and Ice, Snow Bros., and Bonk about every other week when we'd get in shipments of NES carts. I never did buy Bonk since I had the Turbografx version, but if I'dve known it would get this bonkers, I'd have picked up a couple of them. Not all, mind you, because I'm a big believer in letting someone else get a chance to play stuff when they're really interested in it.

Nowadays, I pobably wouldn't pay more than $100, because at that point I can buy too many other cool games, Neo Geo games, or put it toward another arcade cabinet. It's a cool game and all, but $100 can buy some awesome games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would pay the current market price for this. I need to complete my set, and if you want a nice item you pretty much have to pay for it nowadays. I'm interested if you still have it.