Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most you've spent on a Sega Saturn game

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default The most you've spent on a Sega Saturn game

The Sega Saturn definitely has its collector's market and one of the more established import communities. So, how much have you spent on a Saturn game, to rip off all of the other topics of the kind?

For me it was $150 on Radiant Silvergun, which has been the going rate for a long time. I feel like I overpaid, as even though, my initial impressions were good, I grew to really dislike its chain scoring system. I found the scoring in this and Ikaruga to detract from the experience for me. Conversely, I paid $9 for Galactic Attack and like it way better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I spent $60 on Symphony of the Night back in 2006. I won an auction, but at the end I was hoping to get outbid.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, I think I'm starting to see a pattern here with these topics.

Anyway, I think the most I've ever spent on a Saturn game was about 45 bucks or so. I purchased a lot of games that price point, most were when they where new releases.

Age AGES
    Burning Rangers
    NiGHTS into Dreams
    Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei
    Radiant Silvergun
    (this was about 8 years ago or so, in a lot with other choice import games. They worked out to about 40 bucks or so each)

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$215 for Hyper Duel with spine and registration card in 2013...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Yeah, I think I'm starting to see a pattern here with these topics.

Anyway, I think the most I've ever spent on a Saturn game was about 45 bucks or so. I purchased a lot of games that price point, most were when they where new releases.

Age AGES
    Burning Rangers
    NiGHTS into Dreams
    Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei
    Radiant Silvergun
    (this was about 8 years ago or so, in a lot with other choice import games. They worked out to about 40 bucks or so each)
    Fortunately, the vast majority of mine were cheap as well. $40 for Panzer Dragoon Saga, $20 for Shining Force III, Burning Rangers, Dragon Force, and Shining Wisdom, $30 for Magic Knight Rayearth... buying them in the late '90s was cheap. Back then, you used to see Guardian Heroes everywhere for $5. I paid full inflated price for Silvergun, and it's not only not my favorite shooter, it's not even top 5 on Saturn for me. The only game I paid more for other than arcade cabinets was Top Hunter on Neo Geo AES. I thought about doing a Neo Geo topic instead, but I think a lot less people would enjoy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Probably $20 to $30. The last time I bought Saturn games was like 15 years ago. The only ones going that high I paid for were the best version of Castlevania Nocturne in the Moonlight and also that odd but fun DBZ fighting game. All the US stuff I had was cheap even if it was complete.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

$10 each for Battle Monsters and GunGriffon, of all things.

Most of my Saturn collection has come from big, cheap lots found at yard sales or thrift stores: Enemy Zero for $2, Shining Wisdom in a massive lot that cost $20 total, etc. Given that I basically never play my Saturn, it's kind of ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

$98 Crows: The Battle Action

Proud to say I bought all my Saturn titles for under 100 dollars, and that's amazing considering I got these triple figure titles for the following prices:

Radiant Silvergun $65
    Psychic Assassin Taromaru $80
    Panzer Dragoon Saga $85
    Hyper Duel was like $60

Hell, one guy even gave me a mint complete Battle Garegga for FREE. It went for roughly $70 back in 2004.

Good times.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Fortunately, the vast majority of mine were cheap as well. $40 for Panzer Dragoon Saga, $20 for Shining Force III, Burning Rangers, Dragon Force, and Shining Wisdom, $30 for Magic Knight Rayearth...
    I was fortunate in that I got my Panzer Dragoon Saga for free. A former friend let me have all of his Saturn games when he got a Dreamcast. I had to replace the manual and case though after they were lost in a house fire and it took almost a decade to get another one. In the end it cost me about 30 bucks for the manual, case and the paper sleeves.

Wait, shit, I just remembered, I didn't purchase my copy of Burning Rangers either. It was another free one in that lot. Again, I just had to replace the case and manual for. I'm positive I got them or for even less than the ones for PDS. I don't recall how much I purchased Magic Knight Rayearth for. It was a later (about 8 years ago) acquisition, but I know that it wasn't more than 40 bucks. I may have been purchased in a lot. I used to buy almost all of my retro games that way.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

The most I paid was 110$ for a mint/complete panzer saga, then later traded it to another collector.

I really wish I had bought a copy of Cotton Boomerang before it got super expensive.. its one of the few video games I actually still want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    $10 each for Battle Monsters and GunGriffon, of all things.

Most of my Saturn collection has come from big, cheap lots found at yard sales or thrift stores: Enemy Zero for $2, Shining Wisdom in a massive lot that cost $20 total, etc. Given that I basically never play my Saturn, it's kind of ridiculous.
    I love the heck out of Enemy Zero. It's my favorite game on Saturn. I bought mine to play Virtua Cop, fell in hard with the arcade ports and RPGs... and somehow Enemy Zero stole my heart. It's all about atmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

60 for Nights but it was complete with controller box etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

50$ for brand new sealed megamanx4, 40$ brand new sealed magic knight rayearth and 30$ brand new sealed albert odyssey. I got burning rangers for 15$ last october in local ads!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Hmm i haven't bought a game for the saturn in a long time.Still langrisser tribute comes to mind i think it was $100.00+ max,it's a nice box-set of the series to.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 03-24-2015 at 02:27 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think the only Saturn games I even own are all Japanese: Bubble Symphony, Kingdom Grandprix, Princess Crown and Twinkle Star Sprites. The last I think was the most expensive at about $45. (though I hear Princess Crown has gone up lately, possibly as someone is close to finishing a translation patch)

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$40 on Die Hard Arcade back in 2010. I don't regret it as the title is my favorite arcade game of all time. I have luckily gotten more valuable games for the system for chump change to offset that, anyway.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I paid about $150 for my Panzer Saga off an ebay auction. I forget what year I got it, but that's about what it was going for at the time I bought it.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Most for any Saturn game, probably Fire Prowrestling S: 6men Scramble, since it was an import. I don't recall how much, probably somewhere between 60 and 80 bucks including shipping. Well worth the price, spent more time on that game than any other Saturn game (and most other games on other systems too).

Most for a used game, well, the only used Saturn game I ever bought was a beat up (but complete) copy of Virtua Fighter 2 from a Blockbuster for less than 5 bucks.

All my other Saturn games were bought new at retail for whatever they were going for when they came out. I was kinda surprised when I walked into a TRU and found Panzer Dragoon Saga, as it was already getting known to be a collector's item, but they had lots of copies. I probably should have bought more than one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Back in 2001 I paid $80 for D&D Collection, and that seemed like the most I'd ever pay for a game.

Super Tempo is one that I wish I'd gotten when new copies were going for $39.99.
    A decade after it's release my tastes brought me back to wondering about it, but now prices were in the $150 range. After periodic searching over a couple years, I got a copy for $117 in 2012.

Stellar Assault SS is another game I got "a bargain" on at $99, also in 2012

And Liquid Kids is one that I also recall seeing on sale for $39.99 back in 1999-2000... then next thing I knew it was going for $150+
    Somehow I scored a copy in 2013 for $65.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

$5 for the trio pack that was a pack-in. Daytona/VF/Virtua Cop I think. But the system and rest of the games I have were saved from the electronics recycle bin at work... so if I didn't rescue this stuff, I wouldn't have spent that $5.

I shared this story back in a finds thread... in 2009. Damnit time, stop slipping!

As I recall, I spent $3 at a thrift for an extra controller and Saturn AV cables, so I've got $8 into my Saturn collection.