Thread: Is Metroid Prime Trilogy worth it?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Metroid Prime Trilogy worth it?

I'm seeing Metroid Prime Trilogy pop up at a lot of Gamestops for $60. I already own 1 and 2 on GameCube and am perfectly fine with their control scheme. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption can be had for $10. I hear there are some differences between the versions between Metroid Prime 3 standalone and Trilogy, but I'm not sure what they are.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They're only minor differences.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_o...on_differences

Unless you're out to collect, the only reason to acquire this collection is for the two GCN releases that have been adapted to use MP3's control scheme. Since you seem to have no interest in that 2/3's of the collection, I'd suggest just buying the standalone version of MP3.

Then, if you do fall in love with the controls like most other people did, you can always go back and acquire Metroid Prime Trilogy when you have a compelling reason to do so. You'd only be out an extra $10, and could always resell your originals if you're not a collector.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-20-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Trilogy at face value is very worth it if you did not like the inexcusably crappy control decisions on the gamecube releases. If you are fine with the control and dont end up being standing target while trying to get a lock on a space pirate then it has no real value other than collectors and less space on a shelf since all 3 are on the disc. I had trilogy for the controls alone and it make a game that was annoying to play a pleasure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I would just get the Prime 3. Dont waste your money.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    I would just get the Prime 3. Dont waste your money.
    Exactly. I didn't really enjoy the controls in Prime 3. I wouldn't want to spend the extra on games you already have anyways.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have or are planning on getting a Wii U you can get it digitally for $20. I dont see much reason to own the trilogy for that much unless you demand Wiimote based FPS controls.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Insert Coin (Level 0) FUZZY PICKLES!!!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Limelight788

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    If you have or are planning on getting a Wii U you can get it digitally for $20. I dont see much reason to own the trilogy for that much unless you demand Wiimote based FPS controls.
    I should mention that there was a deal back in late February that would allow you to get the trilogy for $10 on the Wii U. Having never owned the trilogy before, I saw this as the perfect opportunity to get it and it was one of the best deals I have ever seen for a game (at least on the console I've owned with possible exception being expensive games on the Virtual Console). The deal is obviously no longer there but $20 is still a fantastic value that any Wii U owner should take if they don't have at least one of the trilogy.

(I haven't played it yet btw, but I will get to it... someday)
    Last edited by FUZZY PICKLES!!!; 03-23-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I'm seeing Metroid Prime Trilogy pop up at a lot of Gamestops for $60. I already own 1 and 2 on GameCube and am perfectly fine with their control scheme. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption can be had for $10. I hear there are some differences between the versions between Metroid Prime 3 standalone and Trilogy, but I'm not sure what they are.
    I hope you don't buy the "refurbish" plastic case from Gamestop. Sad that possibly many a steel case got tossed. For that amount of money, look for the original steel case and ALL the material inside.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nothing got tossed, they were reprintings from Nintendo that were sold, which had been opened by GameStop and sold as used under the guise of being trade-ins that they had been stocking up on in order to widely reintroduce to stores again. That allowed them to ask for more than MSRP.

It's a case variant, like that reprinting of New Super Mario Bros. Wii from a couple of years ago in the white case instead of the red that it originally was sold with.

Collectors will want both, although good luck to the sealed collectors. It wouldn't surprise me if none were ever shrinkwrapped and if they were, I doubt very many escaped with it intact.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

It's definitely worth it if you've not played any of the Prime games before. Has the VC release not dented the physical value much then?

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine for $100 two years ago, probably too much... prices are crazy for this. Good to hear that it is on VC on Wii U. I was able to rent it first and try it. Personally I like it and find the controls innovative, if hard. Modern Metroid that still feels like Metroid. The Other M, on the other hand, does not and sucks ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Nothing got tossed, they were reprintings from Nintendo that were sold, which had been opened by GameStop and sold as used under the guise of being trade-ins that they had been stocking up on in order to widely reintroduce to stores again. That allowed them to ask for more than MSRP.

It's a case variant, like that reprinting of New Super Mario Bros. Wii from a couple of years ago in the white case instead of the red that it originally was sold with.

Collectors will want both, although good luck to the sealed collectors. It wouldn't surprise me if none were ever shrinkwrapped and if they were, I doubt very many escaped with it intact.
    Proof? No, not just opinions from editors at various blog posts. I see refurbish R stickers on the back confirming the refurbish route.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Proof? No, not just opinions from editors at various blog posts. I see refurbish R stickers on the back confirming the refurbish route.
    Stickers on what?

Everything posted from various sources that I ever saw, such as around here, pointed towards reprints for this and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Every disc, manual, and insert was pristine. No signs of resurfacing, fingerprints, creases, etc.

Edit: A search found a single reference for that over at NeoGaf, with it being a sticker under the price sticker which apparently indicates that it went through GameStop's refurbish center.

While it was quickly disputed, or possibly was where they sent these en masse for their factory shrinkwrap to be removed, who knows. Since I already owned Metroid Prime Trilogy (Bought for $20 new, just weeks before reports about it being out of print quickly saw its value skyrocket) and have nothing first hand here, I'll defer to others since I simply don't know.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-26-2015 at 01:52 AM.