Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Myst-like games

  1. #41
    ServBot (Level 11) Slate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,616
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Ahh, 7th Guest. Show of hands: How many of us have legitimately conquered the microscope puzzle?

    (Which is literally just Attax or Spot: the Video Game but somehow much harder. Its weird because I used to be a master at Spot but the microscope puzzle usually kicks my ass).
    I don't think I ever got that far. I managed the pie/cake puzzle and the one with the telescope but I think that's it, though I haven't played it since maybe 2001 at the latest.

    - Austin

  2. #42
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    I've never been able to figure out Myst or games like it, the one exception was the kiddie friendly game made by them, The Manhole. Game came with my original PC which was a Christmas gift from my grandparents in 1990, and it was the deluxe CD edition with the nicer music and the 256 or higher colored visuals with animations, looked more storybook quality. I loved to explore that as it always seemed there was something else to click you missed the other dozen times before.

  3. #43
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Posts
    2,935
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

    Default

    The Neverhood was not exactly like Myst. It has been at least a decade since I fired it up, but from what I recall it was like "claymation", digitized. I want to say that it had a mix of first-person view along with the side-scrolling / top down view found in many Sierra games.

    Some people I knew raved about it around the turn of the millenium and burned me a copy - it wasn't in print at that time and was a fairly rare game. I don't remember it being all that amazing myself; I certainly never finished it.
    I have no signature.

  4. #44
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    THREAD REVIVAL MAGIC!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    I have that set. Riven and Exile work fine, but Myst kept crashing on me for some reason. Oh well.
    I recently had to deal with problems with the Riven DVD from that set, with some help from Reddit. Might be unrelated to your problem but....

    https://www.reddit.com/r/myst/commen...es_on_win98se/

    ......

    Also while re-reading this old topic I saw other "related" topics from years past.... saw one guy from 2007 saying Myst was a Dragon's Lair clone. I'll never understand how people that dumb can even manage to use Windows, much less play games on anything whose controller has more than one button.

    That said, playing Myst again, I love it but I also do get behind one particular complaint I've seen on the webs--that it's a shallow experience. Even if you don't mind the type of game it is, for me it feels like its over too quick and more like a minigame I would expect to be included with a more fully-fleshed-out game than something you would spend money for on its own. Each Age only really has one puzzle to solve and then its over. And in my case at least, I never needed a walkthru.

    (Though in my case, my copy of Myst came as a special pack-in with Riven, so I DID get it as a bonus included with another game)

    This doesn't make it bad, though I wish they would endlessly port and remake Riven instead, or at least in addition to (realRiven would be absolutely mindblowing)

    ......

    Anyway, been reading up on a game called Schizm: Mysterious Journey, which I almost bought... until I read in several places that they had to remove content from the 5 CD-ROM version to make it fit, but the DVD-ROM version contains everything.

    .... and yet the DVD-ROM release is rare as hell by all appearances. That sucks -__-

    Just wanna be forewarned in advance: Are there any other Win95/98-era games where there's a DVD-ROM release, and especially one that actually has additional content not in the CD-ROM version? Riven is supposed to be just slightly better looking (personally I haven't seen a difference) so in that case the only benefit is not having to switch discs, but things like Schizm make me crazy.

    ......

    Also, I still never got a fixed/working copy of Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega CD) or D (Saturn)....

  5. #45
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    58
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The Witness is a recent release that's like myst.

  6. #46
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    What about The Room? I think it's only for phones or tablets, but has a nice discovery vibe.

  7. #47
    celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,774
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    THREAD REVIVAL MAGIC!!!



    I recently had to deal with problems with the Riven DVD from that set, with some help from Reddit. Might be unrelated to your problem but....

    https://www.reddit.com/r/myst/commen...es_on_win98se/

    ......

    Also while re-reading this old topic I saw other "related" topics from years past.... saw one guy from 2007 saying Myst was a Dragon's Lair clone. I'll never understand how people that dumb can even manage to use Windows, much less play games on anything whose controller has more than one button.

    That said, playing Myst again, I love it but I also do get behind one particular complaint I've seen on the webs--that it's a shallow experience. Even if you don't mind the type of game it is, for me it feels like its over too quick and more like a minigame I would expect to be included with a more fully-fleshed-out game than something you would spend money for on its own. Each Age only really has one puzzle to solve and then its over. And in my case at least, I never needed a walkthru.

    (Though in my case, my copy of Myst came as a special pack-in with Riven, so I DID get it as a bonus included with another game)

    This doesn't make it bad, though I wish they would endlessly port and remake Riven instead, or at least in addition to (realRiven would be absolutely mindblowing)

    ......

    Anyway, been reading up on a game called Schizm: Mysterious Journey, which I almost bought... until I read in several places that they had to remove content from the 5 CD-ROM version to make it fit, but the DVD-ROM version contains everything.

    .... and yet the DVD-ROM release is rare as hell by all appearances. That sucks -__-

    Just wanna be forewarned in advance: Are there any other Win95/98-era games where there's a DVD-ROM release, and especially one that actually has additional content not in the CD-ROM version? Riven is supposed to be just slightly better looking (personally I haven't seen a difference) so in that case the only benefit is not having to switch discs, but things like Schizm make me crazy.

    ......

    Also, I still never got a fixed/working copy of Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega CD) or D (Saturn)....
    I have three copies of D for Saturn. I know one has a good second disc that I usually play on, one has a bad second disc that I bought the other to replace. The third, I honestly don't recall. I'll test it next weekend, and if it's good, I'll let you know.

  8. #48
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I have three copies of D for Saturn. I know one has a good second disc that I usually play on, one has a bad second disc that I bought the other to replace. The third, I honestly don't recall. I'll test it next weekend, and if it's good, I'll let you know.
    Thanks. I'll try to return the favor.

  9. #49
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I'm sure there was a game like that recently on next-gen consoles... something about discovering the case of a missing person and wandering around the wilderness... i forget the name i know there was something about talking to a girl on the radio all the time

  10. #50
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by callofthemountains View Post
    I'm sure there was a game like that recently on next-gen consoles... something about discovering the case of a missing person and wandering around the wilderness... i forget the name i know there was something about talking to a girl on the radio all the time
    I dunno about girls on radios but the first part sounds like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

  11. #51
    Great Puma (Level 12) jb143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,101
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    50
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by callofthemountains View Post
    I'm sure there was a game like that recently on next-gen consoles... something about discovering the case of a missing person and wandering around the wilderness... i forget the name i know there was something about talking to a girl on the radio all the time
    Pretty sure you're thinking of Firewatch
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

  12. #52
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    [slaps forehead] I watched Markiplier play that but somehow I still thought of Ethan Carter instead. I is dumb.

    ..... Also I now have a working copy of Mansion of Hidden Souls and... beat it within two hours on my first go. I quite liked it actually.

    Still need D.

  13. #53
    TE Custom rank graphic
    turboexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    78
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    I been playing "Schizm: Mysterious Journey"........talk about a bug out game...

  14. #54
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    The weird thing about Schizm is that the five-CD version apparently is actually missing content (the game was made for DVD but this was when the medium was still new, so they made a CD-ROM version but apparently they couldn't afford more than five CDs a copy so some content had to be removed, including scenes/viewing angles and puzzles).

    On a personal note, I found that the DVD version was easy to find as long as you didn't mind it being foreign, and when I finally found a USA DVD version (which was in a lot with tons of other myst-clone games)... the very day I got it in the mail, the game got put on GOG.

    Still, at least nobody else will have to search that hard.

Similar Threads

  1. Myst on PSP
    By thehistorian in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 01:22 PM
  2. MYST PS1 - to waste $20 or not?
    By kevin_psx in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 04:33 PM
  3. I just paid 289 for Myst????
    By Adonick in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 01:52 AM
  4. URU: Myst it ain't but...
    By SpasticFuctard in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-29-2003, 08:32 AM
  5. Myst for auction! Buy it now!
    By shaggy in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 10:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •