Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Default Yooka-Laylee- spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mer-rare-vival

HELL YES. This was an instant pledge for me, and I can tell by the fact that it smashed a million in just a few days I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I made my pledge! Looks promising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$30 is steep for a DLC indy game. The lizard looks cheap and uninspired, I don't like the design. Not sure what all the hype is about but I await the full product.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    $30 is steep for a DLC indy game. The lizard looks cheap and uninspired, I don't like the design. Not sure what all the hype is about but I await the full product.
    The team behind it created most of the great Rare/Nintendo platformers and unlike a lot of recent Kickstarters, it's actually the real designers and not some group of people with minor roles in the
    earlier games. I backed it, but I agree with you that the main character designs are not attractive IMHO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hate the concept of Kickstarter so I came in here ready to be negative, but changed my tune after watching a video.

Looks promising, so while I won't be a backer, I'll definitely be watching this progress and crossing my fingers. I'll support them if it ends up like everyone hopes it will, especially if it receives a retail release (Hopefully, on the Wii U).

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Looks promising, so while I won't be a backer, I'll definitely be watching this progress and crossing my fingers. I'll support them if it ends up like everyone hopes it will, especially if it receives a retail release (Hopefully, on the Wii U).
    It broke a million on the first day, that means day one release on Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One. If you mean PHYSICAL game to buy in the shops, I doubt that will happen, because, you know, costs and a publishing deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh my god that thing wasn't just funded near instantly but the old Rare fans who have left that turd of a shell behind have blown out a crap load of stretch goals up into the 1.5M(GBP) level already.

I never kickstart, but that I think I'd actually play *IF* it's not loaded down with overkill idiotic collect-a-thon crap. They handle it with being light on it like Conker on N64 was and I'm probably game, though I am disappointed how much cash they want for the digital game and the physical at $110USD is pure bullshit. I'm sorry but when a site like fangamer or indiebox can squeeze out a physical console release in the $25~ range, that's robbery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    It broke a million on the first day, that means day one release on Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One. If you mean PHYSICAL game to buy in the shops, I doubt that will happen, because, you know, costs and a publishing deal.
    It's getting easier to put disks out. A lot of indy games are getting physical versions: Stick It To The Man on PS4, Terraria, Retro City Rampage had a small physical PS4 run, Pure Pool PS4 and I just got The Escapists on disk for the X1. If any self published game has the potential to get a physical release it is this.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

And I don't see a physical release if it came out that way going for $110 either.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    And I don't see a physical release if it came out that way going for $110 either.
    Pretty sure you don't understand how Kickstarter works. The pledge you are making covers not only the physical goods and digital goods you are receiving, but a portion of development and other costs including taxes, KS fees, shipping on goods, etc... Even games like Deadwood where Indiebox is making the physical edition have a $100 physical tier and while it's possible to get the physical version as an add-on for a lower pledge at $40, that wasn't an option until the goal was already met. If you don't want to pledge, just don't. Maybe a physical release will happen down the road for non-KS backers and maybe it won't. I'm perfectly happy to spend the $110 up front for a guarantee of getting a physical version and knowing that my contribution helped make the game possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm clear how it works, I just don't support it. My wife is planning to set one up shortly for a business thing herself sooner or later. I don't believe in panhandling like that to develop something and my wife knows that too, but I'm not going to stop her either. It's just begging with the hope of maybe getting what you want out of it when it comes to game development, and at least what she's after is just a physical object to get her business going. I think if the project was as solid as they claim to be, as with any of them that go up there, they should be able to either self publish on the cheap with a loan over steam/gog type stuff to get started, or find a publisher that'll help them out if again that product is that sound. This, Mighty 09, and the rest is just digital begging and we've seen how the changes in how some backers get messed with ticks them off too when things change after the fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never kickstart, but that I think I'd actually play *IF* it's not loaded down with overkill idiotic collect-a-thon crap. They handle it with being light on it like Conker on N64 was and I'm probably game, though I am disappointed how much cash they want for the digital game and the physical at $110USD is pure bullshit. I'm sorry but when a site like fangamer or indiebox can squeeze out a physical console release in the $25~ range, that's robbery.
    I agree on both counts. They need to be careful with the collecting since they took it much too far on the N64 (Donkey Kong 64 in particular), and while I'd happily pay more for a retail edition, $15 is pushing it for a digital download by my standards. I don't see paying more than that if it's a digital exclusive on the Wii U.

I'd rather see more goal oriented tasks, like Super Mario 64 has. Outside of the 100 coin and 8 red coin stars in each world, it's not a 'collectathon'. That's just about the perfect amount, where you can still enjoy collecting, but it doesn't feel like that's all you're doing. And they're also purely optional in Super Mario 64. You can go all the way to the end and see everything that there is to see, without ever picking up a single coin.

So I hope that they're not afraid to deviate from the Rare blueprint for the benefit of the game.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    The pledge you are making covers not only the physical goods and digital goods you are receiving, but a portion of development and other costs including taxes, KS fees, shipping on goods, etc...
    Actually, that $110 does not include shipping. That's an extra $13. Also, @ Tanooki, I might agree with you on that if it wasn't a Collector's Edition. You're also paying for that fact. Soundtrack and art book.
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 05-06-2015 at 10:48 PM.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know it is, just still seems a bit high to me. I'd see no objection if they had like a $40-60 tier in there for just the game alone as a physical copy, like if you just got the disc and case like fangamer did with RCR DX on PS4. I think they'd suck in even far more dough than they imagined if they did something reasonable like that.

Either way they're not a write off to me that's for certain. They play their cards right, remove the nightmarish collect-a-thon garbage and tame it like they did with Conker on N64 and I'm good and likely will buy into it when it's done.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know it is, just still seems a bit high to me. I'd see no objection if they had like a $40-60 tier in there for just the game alone as a physical copy, like if you just got the disc and case like fangamer did with RCR DX on PS4. I think they'd suck in even far more dough than they imagined if they did something reasonable like that.

Either way they're not a write off to me that's for certain. They play their cards right, remove the nightmarish collect-a-thon garbage and tame it like they did with Conker on N64 and I'm good and likely will buy into it when it's done.
    They've broken Kickstarter records for the fastest $1 million for a game raised in its history. They have also passed their goal by almost 7X so far at over $2.2 million. I'm pretty sure they know exactly what they're doing and they don't need to reduce the price on anything to be a massive success.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 05-07-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    They've broken Kickstarter records for the fastest $1 million for a game raised in its history. They have also passed their goal by almost 7X so far at over $2.2 million. I'm pretty sure they know exactly what they're doing and they don't need to reduce the price on anything to be a massive success.
    Given the previous record holder reached two or three times it's intended goal and then had to do ANOTHER kickstarter due to budgeting concerns, you'll have to excuse some of us for looking cock-eyed at any massively over funded projected until the idea that "they know exactly what they're doing" is proven to some extent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, umm just because there's a heap of people acting like Fry from Futurama going 'SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!' without thinking other than a quick glance and realization of what's being done there doesn't mean they know exactly what they're doing and so on. This is a huge outcry much like the rush to fund Mighty 09 because you have a massive fan pool of people disgruntled by a former great company who's employees left to go and do the right thing.

Reaching funding 1, 4, 8x over doesn't mean squat until there is a tangible product in hand as jsoup said. The proof is there already in record, kickstarter is flaky and being well overfunded doesn't automatically mean reality will happen as intended.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, umm just because there's a heap of people acting like Fry from Futurama going 'SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!' without thinking other than a quick glance and realization of what's being done there doesn't mean they know exactly what they're doing and so on. This is a huge outcry much like the rush to fund Mighty 09 because you have a massive fan pool of people disgruntled by a former great company who's employees left to go and do the right thing.

Reaching funding 1, 4, 8x over doesn't mean squat until there is a tangible product in hand as jsoup said. The proof is there already in record, kickstarter is flaky and being well overfunded doesn't automatically mean reality will happen as intended.
    While anything is possible, I choose to be an optimist and of the 80 or so video game Kickstarters I have backed, I haven't had any that completly failed to deliver and many of them including Wasteland 2, Divinity, Shadowgate, Tex Murphy, Broken Sword and Project Eternity among others have delivered great games with physical items available only to Kickstarter backers. Have you ever considered that maybe it's you who constantly has a knee-jerk negative reaction to anything that doesn't fit a traditional publisher/developer model? Frankly, without Kickstarter, most of these projects would not exist as there is no longer much of a mid-range game market and I love the fact that experienced creators are using Kickstarter and actually delivering great games on a very regular basis. But please, feel free to live in your sad world of negativism and doubt despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Given the previous record holder reached two or three times it's intended goal and then had to do ANOTHER kickstarter due to budgeting concerns, you'll have to excuse some of us for looking cock-eyed at any massively over funded projected until the idea that "they know exactly what they're doing" is proven to some extent.
    Not sure what you're referring to, but Double Fine actually went to Steam Early Access for additional funding by selling the first half of the game and pre-selling the second half, thus covering the deficiency. The second Kickstarter was for a completely different game that is wrapping up development. While I agree that Double Fine didn't do a great job of project management, it doesn't change the fact that the first game is actually pretty good and the full game released a little over a week ago to some good reviews. I know I personally enjoyed it and feel like my support went to something worthwhile. Frankly, the team of former Rare developers behind Yooka-Laylee have the creative chops to make this happen and I am confident that they will deliver. You can choose to wait and see which is fine because the project doesn't need your support. Of course, by waiting, you lose out on the chance to get some exclusive Kickstarter physical items and insight into the development process which may or may not matter to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No I really don't feel it's a knee jerk reaction at all from me. I've been consistent on the fact I don't back kickstarters and I've seen some of the more broadcast ones end up getting changes that tweaked off some of the backers or end up just being downright hosed over. Reading Rainbow, Ouya, Mighty 09 had some backlash on changes. I'm not saying it's a majority thing, but it is an issue. I don't consider my negative view of the current game industry a bad thing as they've dug their own graves, supplied the wood and the nails for the coffin too. I don't buy a lot of games anymore as the current state of things rightly well sucks other than a few projects a year per system on the whole.

You do realize most people don't care about overpriced trinkets and thank you toys so jsoup does there have a point on why not to back a kickstarter too there. I've rarely bought into the extra box stuff, and so far I've yet to open one up that was worth the money. Maybe whenever I can get to unwrapping FFType0 for PS4 that'll change as I love manga, but we'll see. I'd rather money go right into the game, if someone wants to peddle shirts, books, plastic toys and other crap, then setup an online store for it as that'll help fund the project too. Given the notable lineage of this former Rare employee made project and the cute scale of the characters I would find it very believable if they put out presales/orders for some of the stuff in the kickstarter and delivered it, they'd get some good cash rolling in quick too, including from those who won't pay into kickstarter campaigns.