Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo World Championships 2015

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was a BIG mistake from Nintendo ! People in Europe Japan and the rest of the world are insulted and a screaming bloody murder.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does the winner get a gold NES Remix cartridge?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Nintendo is just trying to have something cool to stream on there Treehouse presentation. They're not looking to dump a ton of money trying to find the greatest video game player in the world. If I don't have work I'll go to one that's near.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The more I see this brought up the more I think there's only one clear answer to this unless there's a total shake-up at the show. Nintendo is desperate with little to nothing of value to show for the WiiU and the 3DS/New3DS can not carry them alone. With the DENA deal, NX, and Zelda all being blacklisted for discussion this year, they have crap and they need attention badly. What better way to draw people away from Sony and MS to host an anniversary 'World' Championships using yet again old NES games via their 3DD remix package. It's cheap, which they need with their money problems, easy to setup due to their Best Buy partnership, and it can be done in quick order with little planning in advance. It's sad, but this has to be the most logical answer to it or damn near it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also I remember hearing that there live stream last year pulled some pretty impressive numbers with Smash and Xenoblade. So I wouldn't take it as anything more then them putting on some more programming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Does the winner get a gold NES Remix cartridge?
    Nah, they get a Wii U system. How else are they going to get them into people's homes.

And as half-ass and last minute as this competition is turning out to be it could have been worse: they could have made gamers compete using the Wii U version of NES Remix instead of the 3DS version.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A fucking WiiU system is the grand prize? Is it gold-plated? You could simply go out and buy one and it would probably cost the same as the gas money people will have to spend to drive to one of these Best Buy locations. I can just see the winners systems being sold on ebay the day after the competition.

L<<k R@re NWC 2015 WiiU system: $100,000

It's a bit late for Nintendo to be pulling April Fools Jokes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That would be the only value, sell the system along with a piece of provenance. If they do a little trophy and letter thing like in original, just keep that for yourself. If the WiiU has no custom anything to it at all, unless you're that local, the cost alone in driving to the nearest (hah) one or the funds needed around the trip out west won't be made up. At least in the original you got the special cart, a terrible car if you were #1 and some other notable goodies, not just a retail box system. That's kind of depressing, there has to be more to it than that.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dashopepper View Post
    Also I remember hearing that there live stream last year pulled some pretty impressive numbers with Smash and Xenoblade. So I wouldn't take it as anything more then them putting on some more programming.
    Dashopepper, I give a +1 insightful mark to you. I think that you hit the nail on the head with this statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was being cynical about the Wii U being the grand prize. I have no idea what the prize will be but knowing Nintendo and how badly they handled the last few years of Club Nintendo in the US(since this competition is pretty much US only) they will probably give the winner some download codes for a handful of e-shop games....on the Wii U....even though the contest will be competed on the 3DS.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh. I thought you found some info out there on the prizes. I gave up reading into it after I found out it was like a 6hr drive to compete which was infuriating.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Nintendo World Championships 2015. Where the winner is more than likely a worse gamer than you are.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well said, just like all the good reasons in the video above you. Nintendo blew it. Sure it'll be a controlled PR orgy for fanboys, but don't count on anyone of any actual value or relevance in the news getting any say in taking digs at their crappy design of this entire thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So did anyone from DP attend this somewhat-regional-but-totally-not-world championship?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did. Was a pretty fun time despite the early rain. Not much fanfare except for a few bloggers or YouTube guys or whatever you call them. Was at the Shaumburg il, one. One guy or gal was from Ohio with a Dr Mario licence plate. I had a decent run of 1.7 million points having practiced for the last couple days. But nothing too special. You filled out a form, played one of 10 3ds for 6min21sec and left without knowing anyone else's score. Was a decent day but you wouldn't want to have traveled very far for it unless you knew you're pretty damn good.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They didn't tell you other scores because apparently it's rigged. There was a dude on NA who seems to have gotten screwed out of his victory. Letting him have only one crack at it, but letting others after him have multiple tries. That's Nintendo for ya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's also in line for people at NA to feel entitled and complain a lot, probably would look too much into it.

Clearly it's fixed though considering the limits on the users, the lack of locations too, and the closed nature of not showing what all people are doing or your standing. Sure anyone (like NA guy whoever it was) can say they felt they win, but knowing without really knowing is much like that crude comment about crap in one hand, hope in the other, see which fills up first.

Speaking of, seems the finalists now will be looking forward to a range of games in LA, one of them being the original Legend of Zelda for the finals according to the Nintendo Direct from today.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.syfygames.com/news/articl...pionships-2015

Seems this guy was just happy to be a runner-up, rather than screaming of foul play. They changed the rules on the fly. But people just looove them some Nintendo, so they're getting a pass here. Once again...
    Last edited by FieryReign; 06-01-2015 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That was entirely foul play. Realistically the first score should have been the only score, and who knows which of those two if either would have had it. The fact the so-called winner had his friends crowd the runner up who wrote the article, talking, hovering, trolling the shit out of him should have been a DQ for playing mind games. That stuff was NOT allowed 25 years ago, just your own mental issues to sink you, not hovering losers.

The fact his over 5M score would have won most (all?) the other locations that played makes it an even weaker setup and exposes a huge problem. If you have say 6 locations, at one someone gets that 6M score, the runner up gets in the 5s, and the other locations roll in around the 2s and 3s.... who's to say that guy with the 5 would not be the overall winner out in LA? Clearly Dr Mario is random, but is it so random every other player got bad boards every attempt/single attempt they had nation wide? I doubt it highly. There is no world champion by any legit measurement if that's how they handle things. The fact the writer appears to maybe be the 2nd best player in the competition nationally but is excluded from the final contest totally settles as foul play in design.