Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Direct from 6/1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Nintendo Direct from 6/1

Anyone check this out?

Proof, or a good scent of it they are planning a lot of good for the 3DS coming within the next year, and that the WiiU is more or less getting hung out to dry. I'm speaking percentages not totality. 3DS is getting a new Chibi Robo platforming game, they didn't list 'eshop' so it appear to be a real game. There's a new Dr Mario game (it is eshop) but the new twists are kind of Bombliss/Tetris2 like which is awesome. Bravely Default 2 is coming in 2016 confirmed. LGX (some anime that is very like Custom Robo) is coming very shortly this year to 3DS based on some cartoon. There was a little more fluff too including freebies/extras in existing games like the just released Puzzle & Dragons combo cart. WiiU basically had nothing but splatoon news of a zapper, and a link to a teaser(another video) for a bandai/namco wiiu game.

I'm even more interested in seeing what comes out during E3 because if they're teasing the 3DS that much, unless it's a faint, there should be some really nice things to see happen shortly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Its a shame too. I love my Wii U. It is a good system with a good list of A++ games that only can be found on a Nintendo console. I still say a good price drop would help this system out in a big way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really doubt that they have a lot of good things planned for the 3DS the next year.

If they are though, I'd love to see another good port from the GameCube years for another New 3DS exclusive, along with perhaps a Super Mario 3D Land sequel for the entire install base. Or if we're really dreaming, a new 2D Metroid. My bigger hopes rest with Sega and their 3D Classics program, with hopefully more arcade conversions being approved.

Hopefully the Wii U receives a price drop at E3, or at least this Fall. It feels about the right time to slash $50 off the price.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-01-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I still do feel bad about the Wii U situation even if I sold it off. I feel more justified in doing so after that direct if E3 doesn't turn up much else either which is a shame. With nothing new from them until probably another 2 years out home or in the hands, they need something to live off of and if this pre-show direct shows where their interest lies...hmm?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It really sucks about the Wii U, though Nintendo seems like they want to push Splatoon. It just confirms the 3DS as worth owning though. I've waited years for a new Chibi-Robo. They need to actually support the New 3DS with content; preferably not ports from last gen/two gens ago.

It's kind of sad that even though the Wii U is so barebones, it is by far the only current gen system worth owning. This generation has been a disappointment for console fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sadly, this Chibi Robo game just looks like a generic and cheap 2D platformer.

As a fan of the GameCube original, I hope it's much more than meets the eye. But at this point, I'd be much more excited if the 16:9 Wii port suddenly made it to North America via the eShop. I liked that one enough that I'd rebuy it as a download for a widescreen presentation, especially if there was another promotion and it was only $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I still do feel bad about the Wii U situation even if I sold it off. I feel more justified in doing so after that direct if E3 doesn't turn up much else either which is a shame.
    Since it has seemed to be taking priority over the 3DS for most of its life, I very much doubt that E3 will be too bad for it and that their positions will suddenly have swapped.

They already have a decent lineup planned as it is, despite Zelda U having been pushed back indefinitely. Even if my backlog was non-existent (And it most certainly isn't, since I've basically only finished 3 games so far), Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Fatal Frame 5 will keep the dust off it during this year. Combine that with new IP that isn't catching my eye like Splatoon, a new Xenoblade, and optimism of a new Star Fox, and 2015 already is looking decent at the very least.

Toss in a remaster (Perhaps Super Mario Sunshine HD?), perhaps take another crack at a retail collection (Super Mario All-Stars and Kirby's Dream Collection were good and easy projects late in the Wii's life), and perhaps something new that's unknown as of now. Wii U is well overdue for Animal Crossing, I think fans are hoping for some F-Zero news at long last, Retro Studios has been hard on work on something, traditional Kirby platformers are usually late surprises each console generation, and a 2D Metroid seems a natural eventually now that Mario and even Zelda have enjoyed successful 2D style entries in recent years.

2015 is already looking solid and just one surprise like a new Metroid title would turn it into a pretty strong lineup. And there's still Zelda U to hopefully look forward to (I strongly suspect this one is being re-positioned for a next-gen hardware launch, but remain optimistic that Wii U fans won't be left in the dark.).

And they've of course basically confirmed more Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers DLC, which will keep these pillars of their 2014 lineup front and center and help compensate for the loss of Zelda U (2015's major AAA Nintendo release). And hopefully Nintendo Selects is revived here soon for the 3DS and Wii U, and will get older titles like Ocarina of Time 3D and Pikmin 3 back in print and on store shelves soon.

Particularly in the case of Pikmin 3, a large proportion of the install base missed their chance at that one. And some of their still available stalwarts like New Super Mario Bros. U could use a price cut.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-02-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No doubt about F-Zero but I do wonder given it's B-level status with Nintendo with A-demands gamers it would not be surprised if it ended up on the 3DS for the simple size of the base there, the diversity of it, and the much smaller and faster development costs too. the WiiU will have enough to keep it going like the N64 had it at its worst 2 middle years on life support, staggered out releases every few months or more worth buying to keep the dust more or less at bay. Of the three you listed Mario Maker I think I'd buy, use twice and quit because I don't like using design tools and I doubt it'll have a fleshed out game like LittleBigPlanet does, and the other two aren't an interest. I literally still would have kept mine for Starfox (sigh) and Xenoblade and that did it for me with sadness doing so. I think the WiiU could use the never going to happen full fledged home pokemon game, and even if they had to put up 100s of millions in bribes to get a bunch of solid third party custom entries for the system and not just ragged ports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where's our Mario Paint / Mario Artist sequel? Why aren't the Mario Artist games on the Wii U VC? I wouldn't even be surprised if Mario Paint isn't on there yet, let alone have Wii U Gamepad touch screen support.

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's Mario Artist? You're not talking about a Japanese N64 DD game, are you? If you're waiting for something like that, you're in for a long wait.

Mario Paint would seem doable, but why not create a bigger, better Mario Paint instead? Unless Nintendo added USB mouse support, playing the original with a gamepad would be a pain since you'd have to juggle using the stylus while working two buttons.

No doubt about F-Zero but I do wonder given it's B-level status with Nintendo with A-demands gamers it would not be surprised if it ended up on the 3DS for the simple size of the base there, the diversity of it, and the much smaller and faster development costs too.
    Seems like sound reasoning, although I don't think we can completely rule out a remaster of the GameCube classic out, or outsourcing a sequel to a talented developer like Retro Studios (I wonder if Sega has anyone left from the F-Zero GX team). F-Zero is best enjoyed on the big screen, and they surely can't be oblivious to the positive reaction and media to their F-Zero add-on courses for Mario Kart 8.

Anything less than HD graphics and 60 FPS in a new F-Zero, will be almost as much of a let down as it would be exciting news that we're getting a new F-Zero... But I really don't see Nintendo dedicating the in-house resources necessary for a new 1st party console F-Zero.

Of the three you listed Mario Maker I think I'd buy, use twice and quit because I don't like using design tools and I doubt it'll have a fleshed out game like LittleBigPlanet does, and the other two aren't an interest.
    I'm not even particularly interested in designing my own courses. I see it as fun to fool around with a few times, but no longevity to it since I'm just not really into such stuff. But I'm confident that a full Nintendo platformer will be there out of the box that's ready to enjoy (Even after NSMBU and NSLU, I'm open to more 2D Mario platforming action on the Wii U). And I remain hopeful that it will be easy and simple to find user created adventures to download.

If it ends up just a course designer and severe restrictions are in place over user uploads, like restricting it to single level at a time, my enthusiasm will deflate. But I think it will end up much more than just being a simple course design utility.

And I hope it leads to something for the original Zelda. While I see something more complex with multiple dungeon levels likely being out of reach for the level of intuitiveness they'd want (Although I would expect an A Link to the Past skin to be available at the very least), I don't see why a Zelda Maker couldn't reasonably allow one to craft an adventure on the scale of the NES classic.

Everything would be on a single plane.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-03-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well we seem to be in fairly good agreement, and I too would more support an 8bit or 16bit Zelda Maker type game but like LittleBigPlanet Id want a full game as bait, then the open tools to get crazy with. Not that Id have the interest or time to bother but to download others full blown adventures in the classic style could be fun. Id be much more inclined to get either mario or zelda maker as a 3DS game than a WiiU one even when I had both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Or if we're really dreaming, a new 2D Metroid.
    I'm starting to think that the only way we'll get something like that is if a Metroid developer leaves Nintendo and starts a kickstarter for a Metroid-esque game. There's no reason why we shouldn't have had a 3DS Metroid game by now and preferably a 2D one.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Some indie is doing something like that now, and supposedly Nintendo is trying to get them to port it over.

I want the real deal, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Looks like Hyrule Warriors is coming to the 3DS.

Sadly, this is one Zelda related title that I have no interest in, regardless of format.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Happily it Is the one zelda title I am interested in since the new one in 2016 is atotally open world mess. This is different too but in a fun Warriors way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Convinced yet that the New 3DS isn't Nintendo's next generation handheld and that tons of amazing exclusives aren't on the horizon?

Disappointing day for the 3DS in particular. While the Wii U didn't get much in the way of surprises, at least we have several good titles in the pipeline that we already knew out while Zelda U has been reconfirmed as making an appearance here in 2016.

3DS on the other hand gets a port of Hyrule Warriors (New 3DS exclusive, I wonder?), disappointing looking multiplayer Zelda and Metroid spinoffs, etc. I'm looking forward to the Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario crossover though. Always up for a good Mario RPG and I'm sure that this one won't disappoint.

Nintendo's E3 presentation has all the feel of preparation for next generation hardware. Finishing up Wii U projects that have been in production for years while doing small scale portable projects to prop it up for a little while longer, rather than announcing anything new that's major for either one.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-16-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

2016 will be the year to show what their hand will be played as far as the NX project goes. Is it a console, is it a console and/or handheld using the same games to lessen their burdens, or are they blowing smoke about android since it would allow a hell of a lot of third party games to be easily dropped into their pocket.

New3DS is no more a new system than the DSi was or the brighter SP (or micro) most likely, and I doubt they'll give it as much as they did the GBC with game love, but I think they probably will do it better than the DSi. I'm happy about Hyrule Warriors. It actually gives I think the game players a window into their problems back home at Nintendo and with their third party helpers. The WiiU is selling like crap still and game sales suffer for it, especially second and third party games. Hyrule Warriors is a Tecmo-Koei game using 1st party publishing and characters. Thanks to the WiiU the sales suck more than they should so now we're seeing it fully converted to a well selling Nintendo system and they're even including the added DLC extras too in the game card as well. That speaks a bit to me. Secondly you have Earthbound NES only showing up on the WiiU as bait to get a few more fish to bite on a system while it could have easily dual posted to the 3DS since it has a NES emulator too. I'm hoping Starfox flops somewhat and they convert that to New3DS within a year as well. Nintendo needs to back a winner to keep the money rolling in and the WiiU isn't it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sadly, neither one is particularly healthy.

From the peak of 14 millions units a year that they managed, the 3DS, despite the launch of the New 3DS, managed only a disappointing 8.7 million units this last time around (Well below projections, and millions down from the year before). Even software sales, despite the continual increase in its install base, dropped for the first time by 5 million units.

3DS may have been more successful, but sadly, it's even more disappointing on the software side. Nintendo seemed to kind of let it wither on the vine as they focused on trying to turn the Wii U into a semblance of commercial success, allowing the Wii U to shine with software while the 3DS almost seems to be ignored at times.

And for a good while now, I think their priority across the board has been with their future hardware.

At least you agree with me on what the New 3DS really is, now. A mere bump in the road, rather than the start of a major new line of Nintendo software that's set to reinvigorate 3rd party support and keep it going for years, GBC style.

It felt like the DSi all over again to me from the get-go, and unfortunately, I was right.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-16-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that's old but I would much rather see a new Burnout game from them than an F-Zero game. Or EA could buy the rights to Split Second and let them make a sequel to that.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think that window of opportunity has closed. Criterion Games is just a hollow shell of its former self since they did Need for Speed back in 2012 or so. So it just wouldn't be the same if such a thing happened now.

I'd of actually rather of seen Black 2 over another Burnout. They did such a good job with the FPS genre compared to the paint by number games from seemingly every other developer.