Thread: The RetroClarity (Component Video Adaptor) re-kickstarter now live!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The RetroClarity (Component Video Adaptor) re-kickstarter now live!!!!

Round 2... Please support our kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-video-adaptor

Youtube video's:

Main Kickstarter video:
    http://youtu.be/tny-OyuCNTw

Video showing systems auto switching:
    http://youtu.be/hIkRFQKu8UA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433689190.090202.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	8121

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433689205.164116.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	8122

Edit: added links to video's.
    Last edited by turbokon; 06-07-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Round 2? What occurred in round one?

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be a dick here. I legitimately didn't hear about this project previously.
    Last edited by sfchakan; 06-07-2015 at 03:28 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    Round 2? What occurred in round one?

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be a dick here. I legitimately didn't hear about this project previously.
    You're good. We first launch this kickstarter back in May but it wasn't successful. We're hoping this time we got our message better across.
    Last edited by turbokon; 06-07-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

What happens when you run three connected systems at once?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your systems are protected against voltage feedback. One system sound will go thru but you will get flashing images from all the three systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best of luck.
    Wish there was a simple way to improve NES video output improved without modding the console.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well, Shawn and Jodi have done great work on repros and game mods and repairs in the past. This project is sort of unnecessary for me, because it wasn't around so I greatly invested in an upscaler and all kinds of SCART cables already! However, it's appropriate for many others. This might be valuable to me as a backup, although I've had awful results with 240p game signals over component.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Looks cool

Sounds good but I don't see how this connects to the Sega. Is it going to connect with the SCART port? The price point is a little high for me. For the non DIY model it's $85. Considering that another recent kickstarter was only $35, but for only one system. I'm going to pass. Good luck though and nice to see these products out there.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

It will have a custom cable that connects to the genesis.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    Sounds good but I don't see how this connects to the Sega. Is it going to connect with the SCART port? The price point is a little high for me. For the non DIY model it's $85. Considering that another recent kickstarter was only $35, but for only one system. I'm going to pass. Good luck though and nice to see these products out there.
    From what I can tell the device uses Din 8&9(used in Sega, Turbo Duo and maybe more), SNES and Turbografx expansion port.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm, it's an interesting idea, but I think the prices are a bit on the high side.

I normally connect my retro consoles to a Sony PVM with full RGB, but whenever I want to slum it, and hook it up to a crappy LCD or Plasma, I use this Kramer FC-14 thing, or sometimes I use an XRGB2+. The Kramer has component output, but the XRGB2+ has a VGA out.

If I had one of these adapter things, it would probably be a bit easier, with less cords and stuff, than using either the Kramer or the XRGB2+, but at the prices their asking, I think I'll pass.

However, I fully admit that for somebody that doesn't already own a RGB transcoder, this could make a lot of sense. If it was me, I would go with the RetroClarity Turbo, even at the $110 price.

I'm assuming it has the necessary amps for the TG-16's weak RGB signal ?

Will there be any cables made for Jaguar or Saturn or PS1 ?

will this thing work with Sega CD and 32X ? ( I would think so, but didn't see it mentioned)

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Pricing is similar to the HD Retrovision campaign, which of course was just cables, no converter box to speak of.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Hmm, it's an interesting idea, but I think the prices are a bit on the high side.

I normally connect my retro consoles to a Sony PVM with full RGB, but whenever I want to slum it, and hook it up to a crappy LCD or Plasma, I use this Kramer FC-14 thing, or sometimes I use an XRGB2+. The Kramer has component output, but the XRGB2+ has a VGA out.

If I had one of these adapter things, it would probably be a bit easier, with less cords and stuff, than using either the Kramer or the XRGB2+, but at the prices their asking, I think I'll pass.

However, I fully admit that for somebody that doesn't already own a RGB transcoder, this could make a lot of sense. If it was me, I would go with the RetroClarity Turbo, even at the $110 price.

I'm assuming it has the necessary amps for the TG-16's weak RGB signal ?

Will there be any cables made for Jaguar or Saturn or PS1 ?

will this thing work with Sega CD and 32X ? ( I would think so, but didn't see it mentioned)

We haven't tested the jaguar, saturn or ps1 for compatibility yet but rule of thump is if there's a rgb to scart cable available for the systems, chances are the retroclarity will work with them.

Yes it will work with the sega cd and 32x.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok fellows, a few things I would like to address regarding our current retroclarity kickstarter. I'm very passionate and excited about this project. First we would like to apologize for the bad comparision screen shots between the composite and component video. The screen shots doesn't do the retroclarity justice. We were using the roxio gamecap hd which capture 240p component but in a dark tint. After adjusting the color in the roxio editing software setting, it makes component video looks washed out. We are currently playing around with some other capture device. So far we have tried the elgato game capture hd but it didn't do 240p over component.

Secondly, the retroclarity is not meant to replace up-scalers such as the xrgb fremeister but rather a middle ground solution at a 1/3 of the price of a fremeister. It's a stand along device that provide easy connectivity, adds zero lag, multi systems support up to three simultaneously with auto switching between systems. It can also be used in conjunction with the xrgb fremeister. In fact the YouTube guys over at my life in gaming have one of our prototype boxes in their hands and can confirm it's as clean and sharp as rgb through the fremeister. If any of you guys are in the Pennsylvania area, the guys from my life in gaming might talk about or possibly demo our retroclarity in their first-ever panel at Too Many Games convention in Pennsylvania next weekend, June 26th to 28th.

Lastly, saying 100% of hdtv's doesn't support 240p is utterly false. More HDTV support 240p then you think. I have four HDTV's, two sony's (42" and 52"), one Samsung (32") and one Phillips (19") all work with 240p component. I didn't specifically just look for hdtv's that works with 240p when I bought them, I brought them (except for the phillips which I bought last year) way before we even started working on the component encoder that we are using in the retroclarity.

Again the retroclarity uses our custom designed rgb to component encoder boards thats already been proven out in the fields for the last couple of years. We're just now putting it in a simply plug and play solution with multi systems support where else the hdretrovision cables are only for one system connectivity.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

If you're getting composite directly from the expansion port of the Turbo Grafx the color is going to be off without the filtering that the Turbo Booster offers, which seems to be the case in particular with those China Warrior shot comparisons. With the systems I own and tested on different displays (LCD and CRT) I noticed the expansion composite out seemed to have a red bias vs. my Turbo Booster and your RGB to Component circuit.

I'm personally skeptical that even component 240p is tolerable on an LCD without upscaling, but again, if you're stuck in Scart-less North America and have a nice (and now cheap) CRT set like a Sony Wega with component inputs, this is a very good option.

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    If these are being assembled by hand locally and not outsourced to China the $100ish price point is par for the time and materials involved, I've made something similar for myself.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, these will be assembled locally by our hands unless we can find a company in china to do it for us.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turbokon View Post
    Lastly, saying 100% of hdtv's doesn't support 240p is utterly false. More HDTV support 240p then you think. I have four HDTV's, two sony's (42" and 52"), one Samsung (32") and one Phillips (19") all work with 240p component. I didn't specifically just look for hdtv's that works with 240p when I bought them, I brought them (except for the phillips which I bought last year) way before we even started working on the component encoder that we are using in the retroclarity.

That is good that all of your TVs support 240p but none of the 4 in my home do. The only one that does is a old Samsung CRT. Anecdotal evidence going both ways here.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a simple test you can do to see if your hdtv supports 240p. With a console that outputs 240p, for example a super nintendo. Plug the yellow rca to the "Y" input of your hdtv. If you get a black & white pictures, then your set support 240p.