Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man Legacy Collection (PlayStation 4, XBOX One, Windows, 3DS)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Are there any collections or plans for a collection to include all of the original Gameboy games?
    Going back eleven years ago, there was a plan to release a collection of the GameBoy Megaman games for the GameBoy Advance, even offering full color and some unspecified extras. The initial name for the project was Megaman Mania, later changed to Megaman Anniversary Collection, same as the console collection Atomic Planted screwed up. The project was delayed, and eventually cancelled because Capcom "lost the source code".

In reality, Megaman Mania was overly ambitious. Colorizing original GameBoy games is not easy; you have to reverse engineer everything and recolor tiles and sprites one by one and even then because the Gameboy uniformly blanketed everything the same shades, sprites don't adhere to normal colorization standards as the gameboy doesn't neatly distinguish between sprites and tiles.

Not to mention that all five of the Rockman World games on GameBoy were outsourced to Minakuchi Engineering and Biox, not Capcom internally. In all likihood it was Biox and Minakuchi that lost the source codes and Capcom eventually decided that the project had too many hurtles and wouldn't sell well enough to justify all the work that would need to be done to fix it.

Still, I would love to play the unfinished prototype. Some color work was finished and it would be really really cool to check that beta out. Hoping it will be dumped someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I really wish they'd do that, even as some stealthy unlock surprise. It's not complicated and not unheard of, Nintendo did it with their Kirby package on Wii.
    That's because Nintendo keeps ahold of their source codes and all prototypes and such with unusual diligence. a GameBoy collection is possible via straight up emulation, but consider the only really viable platform for it is the 3DS, which already has the virtual console versions. A collection of the games with no extras would be a tough sell for both consumers and Nintendo to allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Thanks for all the information and clearing up a few things.

That said, just because it was contracted out to a 3rd party doesn't mean that Capcom didn't oversee the project. Ultimately, any blame has to fall on their shoulders since it's their game and if it wasn't satisfactory, it's their fault for not seeking changes to rectify issues prior to releasing it. Atomic Planet was working for them, after all.

At least that's how I see it. They should've kept them on a tighter lease and forced some much needed adjustments. It's really not too far away from being a very good collection, but it's quite evident that Atomic Planet settled for "good enough" instead of striving for as close to perfection as reasonably possible.

Too bad that Capcom didn't force the issue a bit, and helped get it there instead of the lazy job that we got instead.
    You're overestimating Capcom's involvement. It was probably a small number of people at Capcom USA who oversaw the project, not the Japanese arm, not anyone who would be in any position to care. This was an Atomic Planet developed game and if you read the credits for the game, Atomic Planet had their own testers and QA. The only real Capcom mention is that the games were licensed by Capcom.

Blaming Capcom for how awful Anniversary Collection turned out is like blaming Nintendo for Dr. Jackel & Mr. Hyde on NES because it contains the Seal of Quality.

I agree with you that Capcom ideally should have been more involved, or just done the whole damn collection internally without outsourcing it to the twats that regardless of anything they do will always be rememebred as the people who ruined Rockman Complete Works.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For it to be anything like the same deal, that one would've had to have been published by Nintendo.

This one involved Capcom properties and was published by Capcom. And in all likelihood, they paid the bill for it to be developed. If Atomic Planet screwed it up, the ultimate responsibility has to fall on Capcom. Capcom surely was far from powerless. Outsourcing a project doesn't mean they gave up all control.

That said, I otherwise am in agreement. I have little doubt that had Capcom tried, they could've done a superior job if this had been handled internally.

I vaguely recall something about it being added to the later Xbox port, but only after the GameCube controversy. I think it's one reason why I went with this version, along with keeping most if not all of the platform exclusive bonus features of the earlier two versions. My Xbox isn't hooked up though so it's not convenient for me to go check right now.

Too bad that the Xbox d-pad sucked though...
    Watching a video from Satoshi Matrix, I benefited in another way since the Xbox version fully supports the d-pad.

It might not be a good d-pad, but at least it works with the d-pad on the standard controller and 3rd party digital only controllers like the Street Fighter pad. The PS2 version on the other hand is analog only apparently, which to me would be unacceptable in such a collection (Did the GameCube version have a similar limitation?).

Incidentally, if one has a BC PS3 and a MadCatz FightPad, it might be worth trying this collection with it since this controller has a switch that allows you to map the d-pad to the analog stick. Never had a need to test it out on either the PS3 or 360 since titles like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection don't have such a nonsensical limitation, so I don't know how well this functionality works. But it might breath new life into it for a select few that still are using an older PS3.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-18-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

It might not be a good d-pad, but at least it works with the d-pad on the standard controller and 3rd party digital only controllers like the Street Fighter pad. The PS2 version on the other hand is analog only apparently, which to me would be unacceptable in such a collection (Did the GameCube version have a similar limitation?).

Incidentally, if one has a BC PS3 and a MadCatz FightPad, it might be worth trying this collection with it since this controller has a switch that allows you to map the d-pad to the analog stick. Never had a need to test it out on either the PS3 or 360 since titles like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection don't have such a nonsensical limitation, so I don't know how well this functionality works. But it might breath new life into it for a select few that still are using an older PS3.
    Oh yeah, another Atomic Planet failing. They totally forgot to include digital controller support, meaning you cannot use any arcade sticks, PS1 controllers, or really anything. Now that doesn't mean you can't use the PS2 dpad, but it does mean you can't use a controller that lacks analog thumbsticks. And no, the GameCube version didn't have this limitation.

If you own a backwards compatible PS3, rather than play Megaman Anniversary Collection at all, hop on PSN and buy the first four Rockman Complete Works games. Then create a Japanese PSN account, import a Japanese PSN Points Card, and buy the remaining two.

Rockman Complete Works is so, so so much better than Megaman Anniversary Collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's what I first suspected, since I imagine this issue would've gotten a lot more attention if the Dual Shock's d-pad didn't work with it. But you were complaining about your analog stick drifting as you played it, so I decided you must've meant that it had zero d-pad support if you were using that instead.

I'll never understand why some titles that generation that obviously would've benefited from a nice dedicated digital controller, specifically locked out that functionality.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-19-2015 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Simply because it's more work and whoever it was doing the job didn't care enough. That's all it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wasn't aware that there was any special development work needed for a title to support digital controllers like arcade sticks, for something like a PS2 game that already supports the Dual Shock's d-pad.

To the contrary, it almost seemed like they specifically go out of their way to do this. Especially when a title, which I've came across here and there before on early 2000's game consoles even though I don't remember specific games or platforms, actually will display an error screen saying that it must be used with an analog capable gamepad.

Doesn't make any sense when not only is the title obviously well suited for digital control, but in fact does have d-pad support.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Sounds like Digital Eclipse wanted to bring over Rockboard as part of the Legacy collection, but Capcom of America was too cheap to pay someone for a translation of the game. Perhaps it is time to start calling it, "Cheapcom."

Quote Originally Posted by USGamer interview with Capcom's Rey Jiminez and Digital Eclipse's Frank Cifaldi
    USG: It also makes sense from a tech perspective to just go with the NES games because they're the same hardware being reproduced. I know it's not emulation, technically, but it's working to the same spec. Did you consider throwing in [Japan-only Famicom game] RockBoard as a sort of bonus, given that it's the odd one out on the same technology or platform?

Rey: The answer isn't no. We definitely had thought about it, but there wasn't really a way for that to fit in for us, especially since it was in Japanese, right? So…

Frank: We even looked at translating it, if I could speak to that for a second.

Rey: As close to the technological images, you could theoretically do it, but you're starting to go away from everything we're trying to do, which is to keep everything authentic. We couldn't release an all-Japanese board game here in the U.S., so…

USG: Is that just a case where you, personally, wouldn't feel good about it, or the platform rights holders would be, "No go"?

Rey: There is a requirement that all essential game information has to be localized to the support language and a game like a board game has a lot of essential text in it.

Frank: You can't play that if you don't understand Japanese.

USG: So even just throwing it in as a curio was off the table because of the logistics from on high?

Frank: We're aware of all the curios, right?

Rey: Nothing is really impossible if you really want to do it, and you have enough time and resources to do it, but it would just lose the focus of what we're doing.
    Spin those facts, Rey! Spin! But try not to get too dizzy.

Source: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/pret...oull-ever-read
    Source: http://www.rockman-corner.com/2015/0...-mega-man.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Out of curiosity, has anything been said about 3D support for the 3DS version?

I'm not interested in 3D and suspect that these aren't the best of candidates for such a makeover, but hopefully for those that find that thought appealing, it's one reason why it's going to take longer to come out on the 3DS.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-23-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well that would be cool if they did it, but being that they're Cheapcom/Crapcom, most likely not. I think I'd look to what Streets of Rage or Sonic did on 3DS in those 3D Sega Classics downloads. Just minor depth with the foreground, the platform, then the background would actually look pretty nice but that does require work. And if they're so stupidly cheap not to pay to translate their own rockboard game, I doubt they'd put up for this either but I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ugh, and let the complaining start:

First, I had to run a manual search to even find this game; its not in the new games feed.

$18.99?! I thought this was going to be $14.99. Why the hell the extra $4? I guess it must be for all the features that aren't included.

The art scans aren't cleaned up at all! Even the R20 Rockman & Rockman X artbook had the decency to remote dust and dirt from the sketches - these aren't cleaned up at all!

As I suspected, Capcom was ultra lazy and didn't fix any of the problems from E3.

There is SOUND EMULATION ISSUES.

Holy hell, what?! SERIOUSLY?! There is popping and static that can be heard over the chiptunes. Just boot up Megaman 1 and listen to the stage select music. This is BADLY EMULATED. BADLY EMULATED 2A03. That is just DISGRACEFUL.

UGH.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are you playing on the Xbox One? That seems to be the one suffering from major sound issues.

Edit: Yep, I should've paid attention to my own link, which wasn't the XB1 version like I first thought. It clearly confirms that the PS4 version is also far from fine.

I just skimmed the thread over at NeoGaf (And don't yet own a PS4, although even if I did, I'd be waiting on the retail version anyways), but there are complaints over there about the aspect ratio being off as well.

And despite being rebuilt from the ground up (Or so they say), there's apparently no option to fill your screen vertically for the largest possible picture within the constraints of respecting the OAR. While understandable for scaling issues for a title that's emulated since filling that last little bit of screen area causes problems, there's no reason why this project couldn't of done so. Instead it always looks as it does in that video.

I really don't understand how there could be audio issues. They're not emulating it (If we're to buy into their PR about their "Eclipse Engine") and if they couldn't get the sounds right, they could've always resorted to the old trick of utilizing samples.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-25-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I'm playing on PS4. The PS4 has all these sound issues. Can't speak to the Xbone but I don't see that version being any better. This is an emulator issue, not a console issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    The PS4 has all these sound issues.
    Yes, I realized that after I first posted and had already caught it and corrected my post.

My fault for passing along faulty information without paying attention to the YouTube video that I was inserting at the same time as evidence of XB1 audio issues, which in actuality was really demonstrating how awful the PS4 version sounds.

This is an emulator issue
    Officially, this isn't emulated.

While I think the evidence is mounting that it actually is to some degree, contrary to the grandiose nature of how the reborn Digital Eclipse studio was portraying it in the media, we don't actually have anything official that says it is.

I hope they fix these glaring issues before the retail release. I want Digital Eclipse to succeed and for classic compilations to yet again catch on, but this sure isn't the best of starts.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-25-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just skimmed the thread over at NeoGaf (And don't yet own a PS4, although even if I did, I'd be waiting on the retail version anyways), but there are complaints over there about the aspect ratio being off as well.
    I don't know what they're talking about, since it's still 1.33:1.

Stinks that it can't be zoomed in though to be larger, while maintaining the correct 4:3 proportions. There's a lot of letterboxing going on here.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-25-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok the popping in MM1 there was obvious and a bit depressing that happened, holy crap what the hell with the MM2 title. That was so bad until it cleared itself up it sounded like someones speakers were going out on them how bad that was.

I did not kn ow this came out today, consider me surprised and saddened. I hope the added time in the oven for the 3DS and other physical releases cleans this garbage up as the fans will get more and more pissed off and vocal griefing them badly over screwing up old games like these that are so venerated by the 30s-40s year old groups and the retro kids of later generations too.

By the way Digital Eclipse, is this still run by the original head of it when it choked the last time Mike Mika? I had a couple of friends who worked with that clown back in the 90s when I was in college and it would not surprise me if he doubled talked this about not being emulated while it was, or trying to play smoke and mirrors games about clear issues to either throw it under the rug or come back quietly(or not so much) later and just fix it. I had helped unofficially back in college test a few aspects of a couple of GBC games for DE through my friends, one being that rotten Little Nicky title.

EDIT: Go here -- http://www.digitaleclipse.com/ I think that explains the issue. DE has invented an engine to take old games, and that engine then creates another engine that runs them natively on whatever system you want. They have a nice picture map of that and a very basic description. Perhaps what you have here is the eclipse engine fouling up converting the NES game to run in the program that conversion tool makes to work on another system natively. So you have an emulator emulating another environment to run a game on a modern system...a double emulator of sorts.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 08-25-2015 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sound issues were fine with fan-made emulators back in the 90s.

In an officially licensed product you're charging for long after free fan-made emulators were released that do it better? Shameful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Okay, I've got my video done for the sound issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XWGV4YINGs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I've finally finished my exhaustive review of Mega Man Legacy Collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAelRWDWAdw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't take too kindly to people defending this cashgrab, but at the same time, a bullshit review is a bullshit review. GameSpot's Don Sass deserves to be publicly shamed for this horseshit.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Okay, I've got my video done for the sound issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XWGV4YINGs
    Why was Action 52 in the pile of 'favorite NES games'? Was that supposed to be a joke?