Thread: Games that pushed the hardware to its limit?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Games that pushed the hardware to its limit?

I always thought DOOM on the SNES was extremely impressive to be ported. It definitely pushed the SNES to its limit. What game and console do you think pushed hardware to its limit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The limit is kind of relative. As far as the FX2 version of the chip went yeah it pushed pretty hard, yet because of the cheapness of my long former employer corners that didn't need to be cut were to save a buck (literally in the case of the dollar for the battery save.) They went with a small sized storage chip instead of one 2 or 4MB larger, because of that you lost 7 of the 8 monster views, a couple of the monsters (like the arch fiends), and a few textures like the ceiling and floor. Then if you look into the SA1 chip Super Mario RPG likely pushed that one well up there given all that one did, just as the SDD1 was really taxed with its compression routines with Street Fighter Alpha 2, and the CX4 with it's calculations on the MMX3 game cart. I challenge you to find a base SNES game not even using the DSP mario kart/pilotwings did that pushed it hard. Maybe Chrono Tigger did it, or the polygonal Star Trek Starfleet Academy battles? Tough call.

The NES was at its limit with those 32KB games and nothing more than the NROM setup, yet look how far it was taken commercially with Castlevania 3 in the US or the konami release of Lagrange Point on Famicom.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The limit is kind of relative. As far as the FX2 version of the chip went yeah it pushed pretty hard, yet because of the cheapness of my long former employer corners that didn't need to be cut were to save a buck (literally in the case of the dollar for the battery save.) They went with a small sized storage chip instead of one 2 or 4MB larger, because of that you lost 7 of the 8 monster views, a couple of the monsters (like the arch fiends), and a few textures like the ceiling and floor. Then if you look into the SA1 chip Super Mario RPG likely pushed that one well up there given all that one did, just as the SDD1 was really taxed with its compression routines with Street Fighter Alpha 2, and the CX4 with it's calculations on the MMX3 game cart. I challenge you to find a base SNES game not even using the DSP mario kart/pilotwings did that pushed it hard. Maybe Chrono Tigger did it, or the polygonal Star Trek Starfleet Academy battles? Tough call.

The NES was at its limit with those 32KB games and nothing more than the NROM setup, yet look how far it was taken commercially with Castlevania 3 in the US or the konami release of Lagrange Point on Famicom.
    Now that you mention all those other titles and details a few others that come to mind would be Mega Man X series, Donkey Kong Country Series, Super Castlevania IV, F-Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to Capcom, Resident Evil 1 on the PS1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KWKBOX View Post
    ...Mega Man X series,..., Super Castlevania IV,...
    No, I'd say these are an example of games written in C being pushed to their limit.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    No, I'd say these are an example of games written in C being pushed to their limit.
    Didn't MM X2 and X3 have a certain chip in them that pushed the limits?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ness7281992
    Steam
    Ness7281992@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by KWKBOX View Post
    Didn't MM X2 and X3 have a certain chip in them that pushed the limits?
    Yes, you're right, yes they did.

Since no one has mentioned them yet, there are a couple of FPS games on the Genesis, Zero Tolerance and Battle Frenzy (it also has another name, but I forget), exclusive to it or the Sega Cd (again, Battle Frenzy). However, only Zero Tolerance was released stateside, Battle Frenzy was Europe, and then there was a port of Duke 3d, but only in Brazil, and it's generally considered to be the worst port. I haven't played Battle Frenzy, although i hear there's a recent repro version floating around for American Sega CD. Zero tolerance is an okay one, if you don't mind something slower and generally inferior to Wolf 3d. The thing that was cool about ZT, though, was that you could system link it to another Genny using a special cord to connect systems through controller port 2. From what i've seen, Battle Frenzy could do split screen, but i don't know how it affects the framerate or general gameplay.

Also worth noting are two other Genny games, Sub Terenia and Red Zone, both by Zyrinx. I haven't played Red Zone much, but it had a disclaimer at the start, that it used no special chips or other hardware tricks whatsoever, it had an amazingly fluid FMV intro (in monochromatic black and red), and could do rotating levels a la mode 7. I played Sub Terenia quite a bit though, and while it did have cool intro stuff, before and after game start, it shines most with it's soundtrack. It basically sounds like a long-lost Nine Inch Nails album, even with virtually CD quality sound. It is truly something to behold.

And, of course, i have to mention Gunstar Heroes and Contra Hard Corps on the Genny, classic gameplay, great Soundtrack, but some of the best (and fastest!) special effects tricks in 16 bit history, comparable to the arcade games of the time.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is starting to look like spammytime, trying to spice up your youtube revenue. It's really easy to put these videos of yours under one vid thread or whatever. Snes Doom, seriously? Never gonna give your content a chance until you stop trying to force them down people's throats.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Matrix on VHS really pushed my VCR to its limit. Had to upgrade to DVD after this bad boy. But I agree that these barely relevant topics for YouTube views are a little annoying. Maybe just make the posts a little more substantive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I find a good rule of thumb with posts like his you make an educated guessing game out of it. See the small header, the clear refusal to put a summary in the post so its not just spam linking, and write whatever you want in response.

Maybe you are right, maybe wrong, maybe just covered what the video did, or something that wasnt creatively thought of. Ive not watched pretty much of any of it, said so in another thread. Guess at it, its amusing. And no youtube hits either.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ness7281992 View Post

Yes, you're right, yes they did.

Since no one has mentioned them yet, there are a couple of FPS games on the Genesis, Zero Tolerance and Battle Frenzy (it also has another name, but I forget), exclusive to it or the Sega Cd (again, Battle Frenzy). However, only Zero Tolerance was released stateside, Battle Frenzy was Europe, and then there was a port of Duke 3d, but only in Brazil, and it's generally considered to be the worst port. I haven't played Battle Frenzy, although i hear there's a recent repro version floating around for American Sega CD. Zero tolerance is an okay one, if you don't mind something slower and generally inferior to Wolf 3d. The thing that was cool about ZT, though, was that you could system link it to another Genny using a special cord to connect systems through controller port 2. From what i've seen, Battle Frenzy could do split screen, but i don't know how it affects the framerate or general gameplay.

Also worth noting are two other Genny games, Sub Terenia and Red Zone, both by Zyrinx. I haven't played Red Zone much, but it had a disclaimer at the start, that it used no special chips or other hardware tricks whatsoever, it had an amazingly fluid FMV intro (in monochromatic black and red), and could do rotating levels a la mode 7. I played Sub Terenia quite a bit though, and while it did have cool intro stuff, before and after game start, it shines most with it's soundtrack. It basically sounds like a long-lost Nine Inch Nails album, even with virtually CD quality sound. It is truly something to behold.

And, of course, i have to mention Gunstar Heroes and Contra Hard Corps on the Genny, classic gameplay, great Soundtrack, but some of the best (and fastest!) special effects tricks in 16 bit history, comparable to the arcade games of the time.
    These are some great examples. Zero Tolerance really comes to mind now because I beat it back in the day. I remember the screen being more menus than the actual perspective of the player that was like looking through a speak easy box of a view.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry if I seem a bit hateful on these videos, not my intention. I've just seen enough of these things to demand more. It's only recently that the quality of these things amped it up to watchable levels. Remember the "angry phase"? A gimmick that pretty much ended one poor souls' career based off another.

I just recently found out the most popular youtuber is a retard whose name starts with a P. I have honestly never heard of this idiot until his name was brought up by other youtubers. And they seem to be a bit jealous and copious of the fellow. It's funny to know even Mr. Rolfe is resorting to lets plays. It's enough of that. A lets play is filming yourself playing a game. End this lame trend and stop copying the "p" guy. Why copy others? Shit, lend me that hd cam and mic, I'll give you sonething original and watchable.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Sorry if I seem a bit hateful on these videos, not my intention. I've just seen enough of these things to demand more. It's only recently that the quality of these things amped it up to watchable levels. Remember the "angry phase"? A gimmick that pretty much ended one poor souls' career based off another.

I just recently found out the most popular youtuber is a retard whose name starts with a P. I have honestly never heard of this idiot until his name was brought up by other youtubers. And they seem to be a bit jealous and copious of the fellow. It's funny to know even Mr. Rolfe is resorting to lets plays. It's enough of that. A lets play is filming yourself playing a game. End this lame trend and stop copying the "p" guy. Why copy others? Shit, lend me that hd cam and mic, I'll give you sonething original and watchable.
    I agree these videos have a very bad stigma and youtube is completely oversaturated with them. I honestly just do them because I want to catalogue these experiences with my friends and if they are entertaining to somebody else online it is just a bonus. The main reason I share these videos is because people will comment on them and teach me things about the game that I was unaware of or just recommend another great game I never knew existed. Trust me when I say I am not doing this for ad revenue because if I was I would be like the big channels and post a 5 min video and get my 100K+ views quick and crank out another everyday. I post one a week and sometimes two and this hobby has cost me much more than I have yet to make or ever plan on making. But I do not mind because I do it for fun. So until my friends and I are sick of doing this the show will go on. I am also looking into twitch since that audience is more forgiving about this type of content.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I greatly favor a video of someone playing a game they're good at than a video of some random douchenozzle overreacting to a "new experience."