Thread: A New "A Boy and His Blob" Game Announced (Late 2015 / Early 2016)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default A New "A Boy and His Blob" Game Announced (Late 2015 / Early 2016)

Majesco has completed a major reorganization and announced a sequel to one of their beloved franchises.

The company, which has battled stock delisting for several years, recently replaced their CEO and has reduced to five full-time employees. Other company ventures have been shuttered as the company focuses on smaller digital titles. Most notably, Midnight City, the indie publisher who handled Costume Quest 2 and High Strangeness for Wii U and were slated to publish Fullbright Games's 2013 indie smash Gone Home, has been shuttered.

A letter to shareholders has indicated the first two titles to launch from the new Majesco would be a game called "Glue" and the next game in the A Boy and his Blob series. The titles are expected to launch within the next two fiscal quarters (six months) for "all next generation gaming consoles and in some cases, PC".
    Source: https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...cus-on-digital

Holy crackers, Majesco only has 5 full-time employees left at this point? My, what a fall from its height in the late 90's and early 00's when it was manufacturing Game Gears and GG games and publishing new game IP's on XBOX.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn didn't they manufacture some late Genesis and SNES games too? I had some of those cheapo cardboard Genesis games like Contra and Castlevania. How did they acquire Blob? I thought that was David Crane(overrated) and Absolute.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least they are still in existence. Maybe they can climb back up if their releases gain enough traction. I never did play the Wii blob game though... I guess I am not helping the matter much lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koop View Post
    At least they are still in existence. Maybe they can climb back up if their releases gain enough traction. I never did play the Wii blob game though... I guess I am not helping the matter much lol
    That's sad too because the Wii game was actually pretty solid. One of the titles that isn't total shovel ware on the Wii. A sequel, if the quality is up to the same standards, could be a good thing if people would just make the purchase anyway.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Damn didn't they manufacture some late Genesis and SNES games too? I had some of those cheapo cardboard Genesis games like Contra and Castlevania. How did they acquire Blob? I thought that was David Crane(overrated) and Absolute.
    They were involved with the Genesis 3 and rereleases of games like Taz and X-men 2. The purchased publishing rights when they did the Wii reimagining of A Boy and His Blob, which was developed by WayForward. It was awesome, and loaded with atmosphere. The original game is a great concept that plays like shit. The Wii game was a tad too easy, but played a billion times better and had much more personality.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    They were involved with the Genesis 3 and rereleases of games like Taz and X-men 2. The purchased publishing rights when they did the Wii reimagining of A Boy and His Blob, which was developed by WayForward. It was awesome, and loaded with atmosphere. The original game is a great concept that plays like shit. The Wii game was a tad too easy, but played a billion times better and had much more personality.
    I could've sworn I read somewhere they rereleased the Star Wars games on Snes and Genny games with the cheap cardboard cases and black+white manuals?

Too bad that game was only on the crappy Wii. I enjoy a good puzzle platformer and dig alot of Wayforward's work.

Edit: Looks like the topic of Majesco rereleases has been discussed on this very forum multiple times. No wonder they were so cheap when I found them in Toysrus bargain bins back in the day. Guess that's something for the variant people to touch upon...
    Last edited by FieryReign; 08-09-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

THQ re-released the Super Star Wars trilogy.

Majesco not only bought the rights to release/manufacture the Genesis 3 along with pushing out a bunch of new runs of their old best games, but they also did it with the Game Gear too, and the only way I thikn you could tell on the GG was that the start button color was slightly different. I have no idea if they redid the boards in there if they have a better capacitor or speaker setup or not considering how poor the Sega made one was. They also did do a bunch of the SNES re-releases of third party games too at the time they did the Genesis stuff. In both cases cheaper cardboard boxes, black and white manuals, very cheap labels that rub off without too much abuse to do it and not laminated either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post

Majesco not only bought the rights to release/manufacture the Genesis 3 along with pushing out a bunch of new runs of their old best games, but they also did it with the Game Gear too, and the only way I thikn you could tell on the GG was that the start button color was slightly different. I have no idea if they redid the boards in there if they have a better capacitor or speaker setup or not considering how poor the Sega made one was. They also did do a bunch of the SNES re-releases of third party games too at the time they did the Genesis stuff. In both cases cheaper cardboard boxes, black and white manuals, very cheap labels that rub off without too much abuse to do it and not laminated either.
    The Majesco Game Gear has a Black power Slider instead of the orange/Red one they used on the Sega ones. Also, the case the system is in is full on Black versus the super Dark Grey Sega used and the game Gear logo is completely white versus the one Sega used with the Red Green and Blue...Lastly, the screw in to fasten the Master gear converter has been removed as well. Also, the manufacturing label on the back says Majesco on it. The screens are much nicer on the Majesco units as well. Just so you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I seem to recall that the Majesco Game Gear was also incompatible with the TV Tuner for some reason.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well there ya go. I couldn't remember all the frame differences from the outside, but that is good info because at least you can get a decent GG if you can find the non-Sega made one at least (which is kind of sad the knockoff is an improvement.)

I had one of these along with a Nomad back in the 90s and I had some good fun in the later 90s with it, but I'd hate to think if it would even want to display much or have any sound at this rate how badly the Sega made systems were. It's a shame some of them just didn't care, NEC falls into this too given all the failed TG, TE and Duo systems without total recaps.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well there ya go. I couldn't remember all the frame differences from the outside, but that is good info because at least you can get a decent GG if you can find the non-Sega made one at least (which is kind of sad the knockoff is an improvement.)

I had one of these along with a Nomad back in the 90s and I had some good fun in the later 90s with it, but I'd hate to think if it would even want to display much or have any sound at this rate how badly the Sega made systems were. It's a shame some of them just didn't care, NEC falls into this too given all the failed TG, TE and Duo systems without total recaps.
    Go ahead and lump Nintendo in there with their piss-poor toaster design. Microsoft with their red rings. And Sony with all of their console issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The piss poor toaster design is up for debate. Proper care and cleaning it works just fine, if you abuse it, it's more fragile than a top loading console definitely. MS has been an issue hands down on all of them, but greatly on the 360. Sony the PS1 has problems, the PS2 was hit and miss, but the PS3 issues were blown out of proportion by MS sycophants and I've not seen a problem with the PS4 that's got the people howling so far so they learned to improve quality from the look of things.

Not sure why this is even a debate, the point was on what Majesco did, not the big hardware makers.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I hope the hug button comes back.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No debate, just facts. The toaster sucked not to mention being ugly as all hell. Someone brought up Sega and NEC, figured I'd mention the others. Game Gear was worthless besides the Shinobi games and Sylvan Tail. Don't know why they even bothered to remanufacture it. Especially if it wasn't compatible with peripherals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Probably because by that time the TV Tuner has long fizzled out and was off the market, so why not save a little bit not working it into the structure. Today with the switch off of old style TV broadcast it's a total shelf rat for the garbage pile.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Actually Nintendo re-released the first (as a Player's Choice game) and THQ published the latter two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Huh was it that way? I thought THQ handled all 3 eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, you're both right. It was a Player's Choice release in 1996, but Majesco rereleased it yet again in 1998.

Edit: Actually, I see no sign of THQ or Majesco being involved with the 1998 reprint. But what I have has all the hallmarks of a Majesco release, besides the fine print that mentions Majesco and Mexico. The matte label, the information on the back of the cart being molded in the plastic rather than a printed label, etc. Seemed no different than the scores of other Majesco reprints that I was buying back around 1998-2001.

Either way, there are three distinct variations for this one.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-11-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    No debate, just facts. The toaster sucked not to mention being ugly as all hell. Someone brought up Sega and NEC, figured I'd mention the others. Game Gear was worthless besides the Shinobi games and Sylvan Tail. Don't know why they even bothered to remanufacture it. Especially if it wasn't compatible with peripherals.
    I would have mentioned the original Gameboy because the ribbon cable for the screen was just glued in place instead of soldered and they're all failing now. They're all getting dead lines unless you're really lucky.

All surface mounted capacitors sucked from that time period, not just with video games. With Walkmans or portable CD players the smaller or more feature rich the player, the more surface mounted capacitors were used and are now failing. It's the cheapest most basic players that are still working fine. Luckily capacitors can be replaced and doing so restores functionality.

The Game Gear had some good games, some Aleste games came out in Japan. I still feel it had a better library than the N64.

As for the TV tuner compatibility, at some point the screen was changed from glass to plastic and that affected the compatibility. It's not just the Majesco units that are incompatible.