Thread: Anybody Remember An Obscure 1995 Magazine MK3 Arcade Machine Giveaway?

Insert Coin (Level 0) whoamonga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody Remember An Obscure 1995 Magazine MK3 Arcade Machine Giveaway?

I remember in my "Kollect everything MK-related" phase in the 90s, I bought an obscure gaming magazine I'd never heard of before, and don't think it lasted long afterwards. If memory serves, it was an early issue.

Anyway, MK3 had just come out in arcades (1995), and this particular magazine had an MK3 machine giveaway. The way it worked is you had to flawlessly answer this MK-universe quiz, take a picture of yerself dressed as your favorite MK3 character next to an MK3 cabinet in your local arcade, and submit it all to the mag. My life is absolutely incomplete without the knowledge of who won! Or even what the name of this magazine was... So i'm taking a longshot and seeing if anyone else here remembers this particular giveaway.

Another note: The giveaway said, "Bonus points to guys who pick Sonya", regarding the photo.

Somebody.... somewhere... has to know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for reading! Here's hoping to figure this out!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nobody probably won whatever contest it was. Alot of these magazines never came through with their promise on prizes. I've seen a few people get hosed by egm and gamepro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bet you're absolutely right, especially given that this wasn't EGM or GamePro, or any popular/common variation (swatpro, egm2), but rather some magazine I saw at HEB for maybe a couple months then vanished.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The only other magazine I can remember reading was VideoGames (and its supplement-turned-successor Tips & Tricks). I thought I might've heard of it before but I'm not very sure. Are you sure it was an actual magazine contest and not run by an advertiser (the "Pandemonium" series being the most famous example)?

Isn't it illegal though to run a contest and not award the prize? Though I suppose then you'd have to sue and it's probably not most lawyers' time to make them pay up.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    The only other magazine I can remember reading was VideoGames (and its supplement-turned-successor Tips & Tricks). I thought I might've heard of it before but I'm not very sure. Are you sure it was an actual magazine contest and not run by an advertiser (the "Pandemonium" series being the most famous example)?

Isn't it illegal though to run a contest and not award the prize? Though I suppose then you'd have to sue and it's probably not most lawyers' time to make them pay up.
    Not really, that Pandemonium bullshit was a scam. Off the top of my head I remember Chris Bucci(spida1a) of turboviews showing an egm high-score contest he won and receiving jack squat for it. Besides his name being mentioned in the mag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, not really an "obscure" magazine, but the September 1995 issue #75 of Game Players is what I think I'm looking for. I bought every mag I could find w MK content on the cover, and absolutely recognize this one. Now to obtain a copy of it....

http://www.vgmuseum.com/ads/mag/mags/gameplayers-12.jpg

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whoamonga View Post
    Well, not really an "obscure" magazine, but the September 1995 issue #75 of Game Players is what I think I'm looking for. I bought every mag I could find w MK content on the cover, and absolutely recognize this one. Now to obtain a copy of it....

http://www.vgmuseum.com/ads/mag/mags/gameplayers-12.jpg
    Did a quick search over the usual suspects, seems that #1 - #68 are fully scanned. Could only find a partial scan for #69 and nothing past that.