I'm not sure I want to leave my recommendation for Freeciv I listed. I just played it for the last hour and I'm totally lost. It's like a bad rendition of Civilization. There's no audio. The menus are more confusing. Nothing pops up to tell you stuff unless you keep good eye on a teeny row of tabs that can pop up at the bottom of the screen. For some reason the Japanese got 1 base on my small continent, and it won't let me run them out. I can't attack their town, sure I can stand next to it, but I can't run my legion in it to shove them out. Somehow pirates got one of mine on the west, but I stomped them fine with a Legion I ran in there, then stationed 2 on it to hold it. Amazingly you're not allowed to scroll the map around with the mouse or keyboard, so you have to use 'go to city' which is fine as a halfassed work around, but what if you're into enemy territory? You can't use that, it's to work on your production, not view all.

I HATE I can't run my paid for copy of Civ 1 for Windows in 64bit OS's and because freeciv exists it will never happen as there's no motivation to bypass it like some other hot games have had done for them by smart coders.