Thread: AT Games has another Ultimate Portable Game Player out - Mortal Kombat edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default AT Games has another Ultimate Portable Game Player out - Mortal Kombat edition

I got a look at the box at Toys R Us today, it has a distribution/box date of July/2015 so it's something fresh and the handheld frame has been redone too, not just a recolorization of the fringe plastics like the others.

Have any of you ever seen or tried one of these to see if these deadbeats finally activated SRAM on there for battery games? I've really wanted one of these things again, but the save issue bothers me.

http://retroproducts.atgames.net/ind...e-game-player/ <-- that's the box, it highlights MK1+2 and 3

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I wouldn't expect it, given that none of the games save.
    (I think Sonic & Knuckles can save by using the FRAM in Sonic 3 when connected, but can't save if played alone.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like it's just a re-skin. I know these are built on the cheap but it is still a little surprising that it's 2015 and they haven't attempted to fix the terrible sound

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah it probably is a reskin, but Im curious if anything at all has been addressed. I really wanted the last year model with megaman and super sf2, but wily wars is mega useless since it has no passwords just battery if I remember right. Seems so shady not to add something so common sense. I did read some version will run Contra, and the one I had years ago the first with the sd card support didnt.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Ok..... so not only does the Sonic 1 box art on the front have back have the gigantic "NOT FOR RESALE" sticker on it (which is mind boggling itself), but the front screenshots they use for MK 1 & 2 are from the arcade versions? I'm in.

I would have never in a million years imagined them licensing these MK ports. You'd think that would be a nightmare. Capcom I can see, at least they own and published their Genesis IP's. Seems strange that Warner Bros would bother getting the rights to 20 year old Acclaim published ports of an IP they just recently acquired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No doubt it is weird but it held it earlier ago. I also checked the manual on their website and it has a page dedicated to the three with the WB logo on each game with some legal drivel so they worked it out I guess. Yet the sonic part is kind of sad. WBs been blowing out MK this year even on the GOG and other download services.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I guess we can check it out legitimately soon enough. The regular Firecore is OK for what it is, but it really should be better after all this time. I tried one of the ripoffs and it's exactly as Az describes, way worse than the flawed original and not worth getting at any price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've heard that too and see clips in the past, they're bad.

I get atgames isn't the best to like when it comes to at least the Sega stuff, they're lazy and don't update much of anything at all in their code. They do very minor stuff, either intentionally, they tweak a ROM on the device like the SSF2/MMWW version(if that's what they did), or some parts upgrade automagically changes something for the better -- YET they still (or have they?) have not added basic save function support.

I know it's not perfect, and I know the sound is right in some, a bit off in some others, and in a few games bad if you know what you're listening for. I liked the one I had, but the saving did me in as I really wanted to play Mega Man, Alisa Dragoon, and take a fresh crack at Phantasy Star2 which I haven't since the GBA collection package, and would like to try out PS4 which I never have -- can't with the thing with no saves. That aside I had a lot of fun with the games that worked and it was cool having the castlevania game in my pocket as well. For $45~ that it goes for I have no problem paying that considering what I can get out of it as I do not have the time, the money, or the room to rack up a bunch of Genesis carts again and I really don't want to. I think in time due to the Retron5 I may grab up Star Control, Dune, Virtua Racing, Castlevania, Ghouls n Ghosts, and maybe like 1-2 others but I just don't have the need or motivation to going on a year now that thing has been around.

I think I may just do the community the service and guinea pig it once I see it again as no one at all is covering it. TRU stupidly pulled it, and one of their employees stole one, shoved it on ebay for $40 and took the pics in their TRU shirt with a mobile phone next to the shelf it was on too while at work (ballsy) -- search it, it's there. If I could get into the box and see if that save button was there, that would be all the motivation I'd need to trust in a test drive, though if I could just return it, since it's not loose games, that would be fine too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

What shocks me is that they didn't even bother putting Eternal Champions onto the machine. If you're making a portable with fighting games as a focus, and since they've got a license for Sega titles already, it seems fairly obvious especially considering Sega's 2D take on Virtua Fighter 2 is on there as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe they don't work? I'm fairly certain since I didn't like either I did not try them when I had the original unit with the SD card slot added to it from like 5 years ago. I know they've been slightly improved because some games it hated do work with specific tweaks I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, where is the chase, and how do I cut to it?
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!