Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon: Retro Console Epic Disaster (2015-2016)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Default RIP RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon: Retro Console Epic Disaster (2015-2016)

http://www.retrovgs.com/

If you haven't heard, our dear old SoCalMike, fresh off Kickstarting a magazine, decides he's qualified enough to make his own game console.

Wait, it gets better. It gets so much better.

Let's just do a checklist, in no particular order:

1. Was originally going to be funded on Kickstarter, but had to switch to Indiegogo because they do not have a working prototype. Total bullshit that Indiegogo is "courting" them, when Indiegogo couldn't give a shit. Just like how you had "conversations" with Konami and Capcom?

2. SoCalMike has begun deleting negative comments from the system's Facebook page because the blowback has been getting worse and worse.

3. The system will cost $300, $100 less than a PS4 or Xbone, or as much as a WiiU.

4. Two words: Cardboard PCB

5. Here's the current game selection, look out guys, Super Noah's Ark, courtesy of the nitwit at Pika Interactive! Games List

6. Should be number one, but they are using the Jaguar die to make the system shells. Sure, let's get our system off the right start by using the shell of a total failure game console.

7. SoCalMike and his team do not have even have a board layout. An inside source has been cited as saying "Every time I talk to them, the design was 100% different".

If you can read all this and still confidently give SoCalMike your money for this system, then there is no hope for you.

The AA thread is also gold.
    http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235...ro-vgs/page-48
    Last edited by portnoyd; 03-08-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree with you on a lot of this, but that cardboard you linked wasn't a working model just a really shitty mock up, and Piko isn't an idiot. The rest of the stuff you're spot on and criticism is deserved especially when you dick with people removing honest questions to downright negative feedback and charging $300 for that is a joke. Even as bad off as the WiiU has been and will remain, at least you can fairly more confidently justify that price given the big ass tablet controller and the library of stuff from Nintendo alone that's quality enough to make it look even worse. To want to take money from people when you don't even have a working proto and to find idiots in the indiegogo people to help you push that potential scam is even more distasteful and puts a sickening questionmark on trusting that site in the future too.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was interested and I am still curious, but the price is garbage even if it comes to market I won't pay anywhere near that. You may get a few new experiences there, but most of it, not a chance. If you want to piss over $100 on a console, at least get a Retron5 as it has 2 decades worth of games to screw around with over 10 systems (soon 11 when SMS is added.) That thing is going to go up in flames if it comes out without some serious reorganization of things.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It almost feels like the whole thing is set up to appeal to people who are going to want to buy it whether they think it's going to be sustainable or not, which to me isn't unthinkable considering the target audience are collectors and people who play dead consoles. Or it could be that he simply promised the moon to himself along with everyone else.

Regardless, there just doesn't seem to be anything real there. I think if it does manage to leave the gate, it's only going to limp out a few steps before collapsing into a pile of cardboard and regret. It's just a shame other people are going to be stuck with the bill.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I can't get past the Jaguar cases. RETRO have been blasted pretty well globally among the classic gaming community. I don't really want to pile on. I'm just not certain a market exists the way they thought it did. Even if this console came to market at $99 using a custom/new design, and fully functional, who will buy it? I cannot imagine it could sell more than 1,000 units. This was my issue from day one, I just don't perceive a niche even. All the other stuff, including the recent stuff is kind of irrelevant.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pikointeractive's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    http://www.retrovgs.com/

If you haven't heard, our dear old SoCalMike, fresh off Kickstarting a magazine, decides he's qualified enough to make his own game console.

Wait, it gets better. It gets so much better.

Let's just do a checklist, in no particular order:

1. Was originally going to be funded on Kickstarter, but had to switch to Indiegogo because they do not have a working prototype. Total bullshit that Indiegogo is "courting" them, when Indiegogo couldn't give a shit. Just like how you had "conversations" with Konami and Capcom?

2. SoCalMike has begun deleting negative comments from the system's Facebook page because the blowback has been getting worse and worse.

3. The system will cost $300, $100 less than a PS4 or Xbone, or as much as a WiiU.

4. Two words: Cardboard PCB

5. Here's the current game selection, look out guys, Super Noah's Ark, courtesy of the nitwit at Pika Interactive! Games List

6. Should be number one, but they are using the Jaguar die to make the system shells. Sure, let's get our system off the right start by using the shell of a total failure game console.

7. SoCalMike and his team do not have even have a board layout. An inside source has been cited as saying "Every time I talk to them, the design was 100% different".

If you can read all this and still confidently give SoCalMike your money for this system, then there is no hope for you.

The AA thread is also gold.
    http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235...ro-vgs/page-48

Hi,

I did not wanted SNA3D on Retro VGS. I rooted for Dorke and Ymp as is a great game and original IP. however I just showed Retro VGS our library of games and they picked SNA3D for some reason.

Thanks for the compliment though, shows class.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Where is the market for this even if it were cheap and not vaporware?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Where is the market for this even if it were cheap and not vaporware?
    It is trying to fit a very strange niche. I mean the Ouya was able to handle retro style games, and emulate older systems. And that tanked.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it's trying to appeal to the Nintendo/Sega cart fan who wants something new who probably blew through the stuff they didn't consider crap on those old systems already, but the price is well beyond prohibitive into comical at $300. Also given what Piko just posted, they're stupid on that front too taking that old SNES joke of a cart and wanting that over far better options like Dorke and Ymp. Why have something from the period that's new when you can have a panned turd people over pay for because it's hard to find?!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Even as bad off as the WiiU has been and will remain, at least you can fairly more confidently justify that price given the big ass tablet controller and the library of stuff from Nintendo alone that's quality enough to make it look even worse.
    Even I would be a Wii U before this PoS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    RETRO have been blasted pretty well globally among the classic gaming community.
    Hate to say it as I was a proud year 1 AND year 2 backer, but the latest RETRO issues have not been good, or rather, have not interested me much. I thought they were showing some improvements in like issues 5, 6 and 7. But the last two in particular have been meh to me at best. They've gone back to plain white or black backgrounds and the design of the magazine is so bleh. Also, I'd like a better focus on retro games and there really isn't much. Unless things get better in the next couple issues, I don't see myself funding them for a 3rd year. Also, the incredible delay in the magazine has annoyed me. It's supposed to come out every other month, but they've fallen behind this BIG time. And I don't see them catching up. When a company or brand can't keep its word, I immediately grow weary of longevity and quality. I'd be more forgiving if the issues were amazing for the extra delay but they are honestly very forgettable. Maybe I'm expecting too much but Retro has been a disappointment, especially in the last 6 months (i.e. last 2 issues) or so. Also, look at the Kickstarter comments -- so many subscribers missing issues and not receiving them. It's frankly embarrassing and makes Mike and his team look very bad in general. Why are so many people missing issues? How hard could it be to get the shipping right?

The Retro VGS? To be kind, I like Mike but the general mishandling of RETRO (perhaps not on Mike but his name is a big part of the project) and the red flags surrounding this system leaves me with very little faith that this thing will even reach the levels of "semi-moderate success and customer satisfaction." Shoot, I'll just stick with the tried and true SNES. I wish them the best but I have my doubts, and I'm not going to pay money for this particular project.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Indiegogo has been launched, despite the project having no working prototype.

Over $23,000 USD from about 60 people fairly quickly. Only 1% funded.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Pikointeractive View Post
    Thanks for the compliment though, shows class.
    Well, you are in fact a nitwit.

Also, $2 million dollars? Bwahahahahahahahaha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well, you are in fact a nitwit.

Also, $2 million dollars? Bwahahahahahahahaha
    Says the guy insulting people in a forum behind a keyboard thousands of miles away lol.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Says the guy insulting people in a forum behind a keyboard thousands of miles away lol.
    Says the guy who signed up to our forums just to insult someone who called you out on your idiocy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Says the guy who signed up to our forums just to insult someone who called you out on your idiocy.
    Been in this forum forever. Mostly lurk than post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok you two, hug, tongue hockey and make nice. :P

that said, this guy is on coke if he thinks with all the bad press he got (and likely even without that) people would just throw $2M at this especially without even a working unit. Being on paper, and physically ready with one working system are entirely two different things.

As to his magazine, I never saw the appeal as it just looked like a play for cash both years. I'm sorry but if they can't fund a magazine, especially in year 2, that they again have to beg for a lot of cash on top of paid subs, there's no viable market for it or they have no damn clue how to not mismanage money and resources and shouldn't be trusted. And if they can't keep a piddly gaming magazine in digital or real print, that says nothing to having any confidence to be begging for $2M to fun that box of theirs. I mean I like the idea of it, hell if it were Retron 5 priced, actually existed, and the games were cheap like $20-30 (gameboy era) I'd be on board if I liked the software line up. As it stands now, they're this sad dying thing that doesn't know it's a corpse to be.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Not these forums.

Regardless, it looks like they dropped Super Noah's Ark 3D from the line up anyway, which is really the best possible outcome for you.

Current pace for the Indiegogo is to fail by a large margin. Giganti.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Not these forums.

Regardless, it looks like they dropped Super Noah's Ark 3D from the line up anyway, which is really the best possible outcome for you.

Current pace for the Indiegogo is to fail by a large margin. Giganti.
    Meh ok, yeah that one I did. Mar 2013 is when I made an account but had another old account; I started to read up gaming forums in 2012 though. I collected on my own without information before that.

And I do agree portnoyd, seems Noah's is out which is good. According to crowdcharts the project will not get funded:

http://crowdcharts.com/campaign/retro-vgs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hate to sound mean, but the realist in me says it NEEDS to fail. Not because it's a bad idea, not because it's a cartridge console in the 21st century, but because Mike and crew are super sketchy and string people along on fairy dust and moon beams with not one grain of anything truthfully solid to back the claim this actually functionally exists yet having the huge brass balls to panhandle for 2 million dollars. That's my big issue.

If they did this right, had a working proto, got the community more interested and lined up some solid games and didn't just pick and choose random turds or lesser things while making a cardboard circuit board with crap glued to it I'd say it would deserve a fighting chance. Right now it along with their failed magazine that needs not just a subscription from people but also begged for dollars to keep in print on top both need to just go vaporware and disperse into the winds.