Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: RIP RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon: Retro Console Epic Disaster (2015-2016)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Looks like they deleted their FB page too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    I would rather see the Chameleon be born as to play ColecoVision (the only console worthy of Coleco's name to date), Sega SG1000, MSX and Creativision games than to play Sega Genesis or Super NES games.
    An MSX, Colecovision, SG-1000 retro console would be something I'd get behind.
    The couple MSX custom consoles that have been made in recent years seemed to sell out fast and continue to demand a high price tag.
    If someone were to make an updated retro console with compatibility for those 8-bit system, but also add expanded sound, memory, and sprite capabilities for new homebrew it could turn out to be an awesome new retro platform.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fultonbot's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I guess the "unfriend" was just the first step in scorched-earth strategy.
    No schadenfreude here though. I wish the guy well, but I think he needs to focus on something else now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In spite of Mike bringing most of this upon him, I feel sympathy toward him and hope this doesn't affect him adversely too much. I hope he bounces back and finds his niche in life after this. I wish him well.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly I'm kind of glad the smoke has cleared this horrible train wreck. A 21 gun salute, as Train Chameleon RIP...

EDIT: crap, limit of 20 emotes/images...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    In spite of Mike bringing most of this upon him, I feel sympathy toward him and hope this doesn't affect him adversely too much. I hope he bounces back and finds his niche in life after this. I wish him well.
    i cant tell you what to feel by any means, and sympathy is appropriate for sure. as for myself, i cant help but pity him for the sling his ego and mismanagement got him in. when you factor in the lies/mistruth, which is really the most damning part of it... well, theres no telling how he must feel, he probably feels like he let people down beyond anything else, as hes still just a guy. really, the best thing he could do would be to come forward and make a statement to clear the air and to simply apologize. i think its safe to say that even the 'haters' were holding out a shred of hope that it would come together. as time passed, it became more and more clear that mike wasnt the guy to be able to make this kind of task possible.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

None of this would have ever happened if the dingdongs who backed the magazine didn't actually back the magazine. This emboldened SoCalMike to actually do this, you know.

I mean, did no one see what a floating corpse GameGavel is? And they still gave him money? Would you have given him money for the magazine knowing that this would be the result? (We'll ignore the possibility that the magazine is now dead and everyone waiting for paid-for issues is now left holding their pud).

Let this be a lesson to look more critically at where you're placing your money.

In other news, I will be launching VBENDERGAMES.COCKSZ.COM in the near future! Sign up for the latest and greatest in HTML5 virtual reality cockgobbling excitement... at only $19.99 per month. WHATTADEAL! Sign up now and prepay for 10 years for only $199.99! That's a savings! Of monies! Because this endeavor will certainly not fold within 3 days of opening. No way, Jose!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    None of this would have ever happened if the dingdongs who backed the magazine didn't actually back the magazine. This emboldened SoCalMike to actually do this, you know.
    Okay, I'm a ding Dong then. But for the record, no one knew it would turn into such a crap storm and blow up catastrophically the way it did. But the good thing about print media, is you can't delete it.

From the next to last page of issue ten:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remember_When_KickStarter.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	8603

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pikointeractive's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    Not trying to drudge up past bygones, but a number of fairly decent people have been raked through the coals with Nitendoage's ban now and ask questions later approach. A number of good guys on here at Digit Press are past NA forum members who for whatever reason had one little fuck up with the mods or screwed up with one deal gone south, and are permanently banned or HOS. You mouthed off once; I think Satoshi Matrix had a deal go south, and Piko contacted an eBay seller regarding a prototype he sold, and was accused of backdooring and insta-banned. All three people whom I have good respect for, and I tried to defend Piko by linking to a podcast he did regarding his involvement with Mike Kennedy / RVGS, and quickly got corrected by the naysayers.
    http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...hreadid=141995

I also got chastised publicly a couple months back for sharing my detailed text review of the 150-in-1 NES cart I picked up on Aliexpress like I'm some sort of pirate or bootlegger while they openly sell repros in the community. Bunch of hypocrites.
    http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...hreadid=157123

Honestly I spend a lot more time on AtariAge lately, but I mainly use Nintendoage to keep posted on new products and homebrews related to the NES scene and post replies in relevant threads. I'm not as hardcore collector and I tire sometimes of searching NA by latest post to see what's going on and see page after page of people trying to sell me their shit.

Regardless, I need to browse DP more often. Take care Tanooki and sorry if I'm OT...

There isn't much to discuss until at least Thursday or thereafter when Coleco either publishes the results of Mike Kennedy's "prototype inspection" or revokes the license to use their brand. Honestly I'm kind of glad. The AA thread has been moving way too rapidly and a guy's gotta sleep and live their life sometime.
    It is so weird the response Khan gave you. HE bought a NES game from my site like 2 weeks ago. That is puzzling. Anyways; Thanks for sticking out for me Stardust Really appreciate it.

I wouldn't come back to NA even if they asked me too. But I've seen mods and guys on the top levels of NA come to purchase on the site. Business as usual.
    Last edited by Pikointeractive; 03-08-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

But for the record, no one knew it would turn into such a crap storm and blow up catastrophically the way it did. ]
    Oh really?

P.S. I guess, yes, he is trying to break the record, lol.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you guys got me. It was beginning to look more and more likely.
    I just don't like it when people jump to conclusions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cav View Post
    Y'know...if you want to kill the speculation you could just simply say who you are. I'm betting 99.9% of the members in here would gladly say their real name without hesitating. It's hardly the Justice League in here.
    I was hoping it wouldn't matter.
    19 year old goober, passionate about retro gaming and gaming at large, planning to start a YouTube channel at some point. This thing would've been hype, especially for my channel. I guess my interest in it took priority over my head. I always had reservations but I always, always give people the benefit of the doubt. God knows I've needed it more than I got it.
    I don't want to drop my powerword because I have a stalker of sorts. One of those "lolcow" e-sleuth guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Stardust in my boredom since you poked about it I went and read that thread you did on the 150in1. I don't see them attacking you, but attacking the product in general, but specifically the slipper slope of its existence. Rcoroporon though said it best, people need to dial that crap back a bit. The fact is it's not some new slippery slope those in there are trying to make it out to be...oh look, expensive games in 1, oh let's do megaman only (they have for years now), oh let's just do Bonk. It has already been done, for years, longer years in famicom shells. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon on ebay to figure out if you search up famiclones or just multicarts how far back you can go and find bootlegs of Samson (Lickle), Snow Bros, Bonk, Bubble Bobble 2, and so on, and well into the cheap seats. It's a bit newer on NES sized stuff, but not dramatically, just less seen is all. There's this russian site I always forget the name of but can easily usually find within minutes on google that has a good 10 year old archive of all the illegal crap singles and multicarts out there they write up, dump to share for free, and put pictures of as an archive.

The slope has been slippery well back into the 00s. So yeah, dialing it back a bit would be a good idea. It makes no sense to get hot over it when any peon with a $50 bill could go to the infinite nes lives guys, buy a kazoo reader for $20-30 (for nes, fami, snes) and some boards with chips/batteries on them. Buying in bulk if you have a little capital to start can get you down eventually in the ali-express range almost but with the advantage of being domestic. Though helping someone out a year ago I was able to get a game made for a $20(+4 shipping) expense, and the writer would have been +20 if I paid for it...that's not much. You don't see people doing this in mass, they could, but as of yet no one has. Even if INL cut them off you can get stuff out of asia to do the same work and buy the boards all ready to go stupid cheap in bulk. The damage has already been done and done repeatedly for years. To panic and throw up the oh shit argument now is just silly. It's not killing the hobby, it never has killed or even largely threatened the hobby much too. If it had you would see every single game over about a $30-40 value being opened up on ebay and elsewhere to show the legit board, with very high quality images and people asking lots of questions if not 4 other professional grading services popping up like you get for cards, comics, coins and so on that compete for business even bothering to verify a loose copy of Mega Man 2 of all things.

Oh and for that guy on there pondering what Bonk cost now versus them buying it a few years ago for Famicom -- if you're impatient $30, if you can just watch ebay for a week or two, $20 out of Japan which is what I did after dropping my cart last year for a pinball table. Bubble Bobble 2 though that one is over $50 which sucks, but I don't care to own it that much as I rarely used it. Lickle was like $100-120 a year ago, it's higher now which blows, even the bootlegs are like $30 now I believe much like other expensive ones like the non-FDS Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa and Moon Crystal. The fact is people more and more are paying for copies, dated or modern to avoid biting the bullet as they want to play on real hardware and don't want to deal with a copier cart or an emulator on a pc/tablet/phone.

Also if you go back most multicarts unless you're in the low digits are a crap load of repeats, I own the nearly one solitary exception which is the Supervision 115in1 (NES) cart as 98 games are unique, 1 is a dupe, 1 is broke, and the other 15 are 'pro' speed hacks of black box titles. It's a solidly made cart physically and ROM selection wise too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pikointeractive View Post
    It is so weird the response Khan gave you. HE bought a NES game from my site like 2 weeks ago. That is puzzling. Anyways; Thanks for sticking out for me Stardust Really appreciate it.

I wouldn't come back to NA even if they asked me too. But I've seen mods and guys on the top levels of NA come to purchase on the site. Business as usual.
    Good to hear you still get business from loyal NA fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Tanooki: Unlike vintage boots ie "999999-in-1" BS, these latest multicarts actually contain the advertised number of games on them. The newer multicarts are MMC3 multicart maper built on 32mbyte flash ROM. They have a good chunk of bankswitched CHR RAM which serve the purpose of CHR-ROM once a game is selected, the CHR data is copies over. Storage is cheap and most mappers can be easily converted to MMC3 by pirates. The 150-in-1, 298-in-1, 340-in-1, amd 400-in-1 all fill the 32mbyte flash chip with games. The lower the number, the larger, quality titles can be included and less filler especially the Taiwanese NROM junk found near the end of the bigger multis. Sure Bonk, BB2, and a few other unicorns are missing from the 150-in-1, but overall less filler junk.

I see the bootleg multicarts as not pretending to be something it's not, ie vintage period release. Nobody's gonna mistaken it for an original or rip collectors off on eBay.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Not in the slightest. When it was mark@..... there wasn't anything but some derp involved with that. If they didn't have access to the email, they'd not have been able to verify the username and start posting. He just wasn't expecting us to take a look at it.
    I meant he did try to cover it up by using a fake name and fake photo, rather than creating a legitimate account he did try to conceal his identity. Rather than using any other email address which he easily could have as emails are basically disposable, he used his own. Just a stupid oversight, as you said it didn't occur to him that anyone would look at it. He tried to hide his identity but failed horribly.

Reminds me of this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Okay, I'm a ding Dong then. But for the record, no one knew it would turn into such a crap storm and blow up catastrophically the way it did. But the good thing about print media, is you can't delete it.

From the next to last page of issue ten:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remember_When_KickStarter.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	8603
    Someone on AtariAge mocked the ad writing

Remember when, I failed again.

I couldn't help but chuckle at that one!

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flamdini View Post
    I was hoping it wouldn't matter.
    19 year old goober, passionate about retro gaming and gaming at large, planning to start a YouTube channel at some point. This thing would've been hype, especially for my channel.
    Ah, so you're cancer.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fultonbot's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    I was a dingdong too. I really knew nothing of Mike or GameGavel at the time, I just thought a USA based Retro magazine would be more interesting to me than Retro Gamer. Don't get me wrong, I love Retro Gamer. I owned an Atari ST and spent many years buying imported European games, so a lot of the magazine is familiar to me, but there is still a huge disconnect over systems, history, etc.

When I saw the Retro Magazine kickstarter, I imagined a mag that would cover my favorite old game companies and programmers. I wanted to read articles on Synapse, SSI, Automated Simulations/Epyx, and Sirius Software just to name a few. I wanted to read about Jordon Mechner and Dan(i) Bunten, and find out why Nasir Gebelli moved to Japan to work on Final Fantasy or my Phantasie IV was never released in the USA.

However, what I got was not really that, although some of it was covered. I'm not sure how to describe Retro Magazine. I liked some of it, but it feels pieced together at random. For example, the RPG issue left me cold when It really should have been a highlight. I don't think it's a terrible magazine, but it's definitely not for me.

By the way, I have found a lot of the information I was seeking the Antic Ataic Podcasts and in various books like Jordon Mechner's diaries on Amazon. I'm still wondering about Nasir Gebelli's story, but I'm sure that will surface in time.
    Last edited by fultonbot; 03-09-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fultonbot View Post
    When I saw the Retro Magazine kickstarter, I imagined a mag that would cover my favorite old game companies and programmers. I wanted to read articles on Synapse, SSI, Automated Simulations/Epyx, and Sirius Software just to name a few. I wanted to read about Jordon Mechner and Dan(i) Bunten, and find out why Nasir Gebelli moved to Japan to work on Final Fantasy or my Phantasie IV was never released in the USA.
    If that's what you're looking for, then buy some back issues of Scroll: http://scroll.vg/

All this talk about Mike Kennedy but you know, I had the pleasure of being shoved out of the way by him at California Extreme 2009. Not bragging, just saying.