Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon: Retro Console Epic Disaster (2015-2016)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

[QUOTE=Satoshi_Matrix;2033124]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Merry Christmas, DP!

RetroVGS is now... Coleco with a Wii controller?

No that's not what this is.
    Coleco is licensing the Retro VGS and is thus financing it so there is no need for a second . indiegogo or kickstarter. The Retro VGS itself is not a Colecovision or anything like that. It's a new console that will play indie games on a physical cartridge based format.
    The controller for the system is being provided by Interworks, which has an existing WiiU controller design. The controller for this system will not be a WiiU controller, and probably not look like the one shown in the mock up image. All images of the Retro VGS are 3D mock ups and not anything real.

You're looking at a 3D render model. Not a real prototype of any sort.

Maybe, maybe not. it all depends on what happens. You shouldn't be making any predictions right now. There's too little information to go on. I'm not saying that I'm sold on the Retro VGS but I don't think there's enough concrete information at the moment to be negative.

It would appear Coleco is privately funding the Retro VGS rather than Kennedy forced to try indigogo for a second time. According to the press statement, he thing will be for sale starting in February.....which means that somewhere between the indiegogo campaign failing and now, there must be yet completely unshown, unseen working prototype. That leads me to have hope that this thing might be worth a look afterall.

Again what I said to portnoyd: don't jump to conclusions based on nothing but an announcement. If you're going to be negative, then at least do it when there's something to base that view on. Right now, we know next to nothing other than Coleco is going to be financing and thus branding the Retro VGS.
    It seems like you're the one speculating here. The Retro VGS official Facebook page is showing both a Toy Show and a Kickstarter logo over the new "Coleco" VGS photo. I suspect (and I will admit it's speculation, but I feel pretty confident about it) that "Coleco" will not be providing funds and has simply lent their IP (which appears to be just the brand name) and perhaps some existing space that they had reserved at the Toy Show to try and sell this product that doesn't exist. If they book orders, great. If not, they haven't lost much but a bit of time and they probably have some kind of equity interest in whatever company Mike has set up to develop and sell this "product".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ah, my apologies for being misinformed. All I'm saying is that there's nothing really new to report on at the moment other than Coleco is now involved and it apparently will be shown in February.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well hopefully they can get the help needed in the next two months to get beyond the hot glue shotgun blast of random parts on that cardboard that was shown to go with the molding they paid for already.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    More proof that the knuckleheads who decided to buy the naming rights to Coleco have no idea what makes a good use of the name.
    Seriously. Talk about the inmates running the asylum. It's a Coleco branded Jaguar with a Wii U controller. This is absurd on its face even if you disregard everything about the Retro VGS debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    You're looking at a 3D render model. Not a real prototype of any sort.
    Which is no excuse for it to look like this. If you're going to put out a render you don't put out an absurd one just because you have nothing better to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Again what I said to portnoyd: don't jump to conclusions based on nothing but an announcement. If you're going to be negative, then at least do it when there's something to base that view on. Right now, we know next to nothing other than Coleco is going to be financing and thus branding the Retro VGS.
    An announcement is something. So is a render. Applying Coleco branding to the Retro VGS is the same weird anti-logic that caused it to look like a Jaguar: Associate it with something retro--anything will do. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it. No consistency in vision. It's classic gaming madlibs.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 12-20-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm amazed that they think they're going to the Toy Show with this thing, and that they can promote themselves off of the Coleco name. No "normal" retro fans care about pre-NES anymore and even fewer like the Jaguar. Even fewer want the games it offers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why would you make it look like an Atari Jaguar? That doesn't make any sense. The Jaguar looks like a toilet bowl.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bandicat View Post
    Why would you make it look like an Atari Jaguar? That doesn't make any sense. The Jaguar looks like a toilet bowl.
    I never understood why people get so caught up in the fact they are using the jaguar shell. Its just a friggen mold they bought because it was available and saved them the step in the console making process. I by no means am defending anything they do but come on if the shape of the console is your biggest concern then you have not been paying attention to what's going on with this thing

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    Its just a friggen mold they bought because it was available and saved them the step in the console making process.
    I'm pretty sure he wanted the shell first and then decided to design a console around what could fit inside the shell, the guy just got lucky with tracking the molds down and decided to do something with them. The most successful thing the molds were used for were making dental equipment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    No "normal" retro fans care about pre-NES anymore

Wow I was not aware that you had the final word on what is considered "normal" for a retro fan...........
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never understood why people get so caught up in the fact they are using the jaguar shell. Its just a friggen mold they bought because it was available and saved them the step in the console making process. I by no means am defending anything they do but come on if the shape of the console is your biggest concern then you have not been paying attention to what's going on with this thing
    I agree. I don't mind them using the shell and understand the reasoning behind it. My only issue is that it doesn't have a cover. I always hated that about the Jaguar design.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Perhaps in my weakened state this month and being physically tired I'm in some screwed up forgiving mood, but I decided to check back with the atariage forum thread that's cross linked into this mess and the main admin of the site locked it up tight and had a member form a new thread over the Coleco Chameleon. Now what's interesting is the starter post, seems Mike opened his mouth just a wee bit and decided to show some level of humility and remorse over the RetroVGS. If one cares to take him at face value it maybe worthwhile to read the thread now: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247...-speculations/ and then perhaps give the dude a soft pass up until the trade show 2 months from now when this is supposed to be unveiled. I find it interesting that the owners of Coleco Holdings appear to be neck deep in this and aren't just licensing a name supposedly for a fast buck but want to revitalize the Coleco name with a good working system and bring it to market. Mike says he worked with them(and others?) to trash the old VGS, keep a few components though, and have greatly reduced the price of the system so that $300 thing is dead and buried.

Here's what mike said if you don't want to go link trolling:

Hello Everyone.

It is the end of a very tumultuous year for me and in the spirit of Christmas and the holidays I wanted to come in here and ask those of you who will listen to let the past be the past as it relates to this (ad)venture. RETRO VGS is the past and COLECO Chameleon is the future. The Chameleon is not just a rebranded Retro VGS. Despite sharing some of the same internal components the hardware has been completely redesigned to lower the cost while maintaining much of its ability to play a wide variety of games in a variety of ways. To boil this all down to its essence we just want to produce a product that is different, affordable and will bring joy to people’s lives. The market will ultimately decide if we are crazy enough to believe a cartridge console can stand its ground in this age of digital delivery. There are clearly lots of people on both sides of this fence and ultimately it will all come down to the games that can be played and if they are compelling enough to vie for peoples hard earned money.

The COLECO branding was a business decision I made to bring instant brand recognition to the Chameleon. But I did not enter into this licensing agreement lightly, knowing that if done so, we have a lot to live up to. COLECO made some very influential, high quality and fun video gaming and electronic products during their time and we will try endlessly to carry on that tradition with the Chameleon. The recognition of having the COLECO logo on the system and the (game and console) boxes will make the Chameleon immediately identifiable by millions of people right from the beginning. In the end this is a good thing for all involved including us, our customers, our suppliers and distributors, our contract manufactures, potential retailers and probably most importantly to game developers. Mark and Chris at River West/Coleco Holdings are also very behind this product and will be helping out in a variety of ways, beginning by inviting us into their booth at Toy Fair which is where they want to officially begin rebuilding this brand in more concrete ways.

We know we have a mountain to climb and are prepared to do what it takes to plant a flag at the top. I will once again apologize to all of you for at times dissing some individuals and this community but it was hard being criticized by a group of my Atari and classic game lovin’ peers. I let it get to me on occasion and I do regret all of it. I am aware that we gave you all plenty to poke fun at and criticize but in the end, I believe the product will be much better for going through all of this. In my mind, the best way for me to apologize once and for all is to ultimately create a game system that will make most of you turn a 180 and win over your support and positive influence. And given the chance that is what I will do.

All I ask is moving forward into the New Year is you try and give the Chameleon a fair chance to stand on its own, and again forget about the past. Let it speak for itself when we reveal it to you all early this New Year. And finally, let’s respect one another and our opinions (some advice I am directing towards myself) and that goes for both believers and non-believers of what we are trying to do. In the end, we all love and are passionate about video games and sometimes this passion causes us to do uncharacteristic things.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and I hope you all have a very Happy New Year!

- Mike

I'm willing to give it a couple months. Up until the crap over it being $300, the macaroni and cardboard project board, and the vaporware game promises I was in for a new console when I figured it would be Retron5 priced or less with cheap (GBA-ish - $30~) games. Maybe they figured out something that actually could succeed with the added help of the Coleco side of things and perhaps others. Supposedly before the VGS went off the handle into overpriced hell the original project was based directly upon Beaglebone BLACK http://beagleboard.org/BLACK ...considering what those cost individually for a consumer ($50-55), and what costs could drop bought in bulk of 10s or 100s of thousands of systems, that could do it and it's not weak either. Something I think that could be interesting, Coleco licenses stuff out, that's why there's the Coleco Flashback which has some great games on it. Perhaps if it's not a BeagleBlack setup, perhaps it will be a cheap Android box (like Flashbacks or Retron5) with some moderately decent cheap parts inside to keep it in price between the flashbacks and R5 at retail and you'll see some Coleco console 80s games released perhaps all on 1 cart to help sell it, or a few compilation carts which would be pretty cool.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I wouldn't mind if they took the cost savings and applied them to a new case design, even if it made it more expensive. A Coleco branded system using Atari designed aesthetics? Just doesn't sit well with me.

The economics remain shoddy at best though, not sure what developers will jump on board if the install base winds up being less than 1,000 units....
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Many people mocked it for looking like a toilet bowl back when it was released. Why create a new product that is prime for the same criticism? They have support from Coleco and are prominently using their name. Wouldn't it make much more sense to make the thing more original and "Coleco" looking?

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No matter what else changes, if they continue to operate as if this is anything other than a vanity project it's just going to run into the same problems. I don't necessarily doubt their ability to make the thing. I do, however, doubt their ability to sell more than a few hundred units.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Perhaps in my weakened state this month and being physically tired I'm in some screwed up forgiving mood, but I decided to check back with the atariage forum thread that's cross linked into this mess and the main admin of the site locked it up tight and had a member form a new thread over the Coleco Chameleon. Now what's interesting is the starter post, seems Mike opened his mouth just a wee bit and decided to show some level of humility and remorse over the RetroVGS. If one cares to take him at face value it maybe worthwhile to read the thread now: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247...-speculations/ and then perhaps give the dude a soft pass up until the trade show 2 months from now when this is supposed to be unveiled. I find it interesting that the owners of Coleco Holdings appear to be neck deep in this and aren't just licensing a name supposedly for a fast buck but want to revitalize the Coleco name with a good working system and bring it to market. Mike says he worked with them(and others?) to trash the old VGS, keep a few components though, and have greatly reduced the price of the system so that $300 thing is dead and buried.

Here's what mike said if you don't want to go link trolling:

Hello Everyone.

It is the end of a very tumultuous year for me and in the spirit of Christmas and the holidays I wanted to come in here and ask those of you who will listen to let the past be the past as it relates to this (ad)venture. RETRO VGS is the past and COLECO Chameleon is the future. The Chameleon is not just a rebranded Retro VGS. Despite sharing some of the same internal components the hardware has been completely redesigned to lower the cost while maintaining much of its ability to play a wide variety of games in a variety of ways. To boil this all down to its essence we just want to produce a product that is different, affordable and will bring joy to people’s lives. The market will ultimately decide if we are crazy enough to believe a cartridge console can stand its ground in this age of digital delivery. There are clearly lots of people on both sides of this fence and ultimately it will all come down to the games that can be played and if they are compelling enough to vie for peoples hard earned money.

The COLECO branding was a business decision I made to bring instant brand recognition to the Chameleon. But I did not enter into this licensing agreement lightly, knowing that if done so, we have a lot to live up to. COLECO made some very influential, high quality and fun video gaming and electronic products during their time and we will try endlessly to carry on that tradition with the Chameleon. The recognition of having the COLECO logo on the system and the (game and console) boxes will make the Chameleon immediately identifiable by millions of people right from the beginning. In the end this is a good thing for all involved including us, our customers, our suppliers and distributors, our contract manufactures, potential retailers and probably most importantly to game developers. Mark and Chris at River West/Coleco Holdings are also very behind this product and will be helping out in a variety of ways, beginning by inviting us into their booth at Toy Fair which is where they want to officially begin rebuilding this brand in more concrete ways.

We know we have a mountain to climb and are prepared to do what it takes to plant a flag at the top. I will once again apologize to all of you for at times dissing some individuals and this community but it was hard being criticized by a group of my Atari and classic game lovin’ peers. I let it get to me on occasion and I do regret all of it. I am aware that we gave you all plenty to poke fun at and criticize but in the end, I believe the product will be much better for going through all of this. In my mind, the best way for me to apologize once and for all is to ultimately create a game system that will make most of you turn a 180 and win over your support and positive influence. And given the chance that is what I will do.

All I ask is moving forward into the New Year is you try and give the Chameleon a fair chance to stand on its own, and again forget about the past. Let it speak for itself when we reveal it to you all early this New Year. And finally, let’s respect one another and our opinions (some advice I am directing towards myself) and that goes for both believers and non-believers of what we are trying to do. In the end, we all love and are passionate about video games and sometimes this passion causes us to do uncharacteristic things.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and I hope you all have a very Happy New Year!

- Mike

I'm willing to give it a couple months. Up until the crap over it being $300, the macaroni and cardboard project board, and the vaporware game promises I was in for a new console when I figured it would be Retron5 priced or less with cheap (GBA-ish - $30~) games. Maybe they figured out something that actually could succeed with the added help of the Coleco side of things and perhaps others. Supposedly before the VGS went off the handle into overpriced hell the original project was based directly upon Beaglebone BLACK http://beagleboard.org/BLACK ...considering what those cost individually for a consumer ($50-55), and what costs could drop bought in bulk of 10s or 100s of thousands of systems, that could do it and it's not weak either. Something I think that could be interesting, Coleco licenses stuff out, that's why there's the Coleco Flashback which has some great games on it. Perhaps if it's not a BeagleBlack setup, perhaps it will be a cheap Android box (like Flashbacks or Retron5) with some moderately decent cheap parts inside to keep it in price between the flashbacks and R5 at retail and you'll see some Coleco console 80s games released perhaps all on 1 cart to help sell it, or a few compilation carts which would be pretty cool.
    While you're at it, you might want to post the follow-up post where Mike went back to his old paranoid accusatory self and started attacking a guy who has been instrumental in uncovering a lot of the truth behind the garbage Mike has been spewing about this venture. Frankly, there is nothing Mike can do at this point to salvage his reputation with many of us and even less he can do to salvage the remains of this project.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I haven't seen it, but I'll take your word on it given Mikes track record. When I posted that, I hadn't seen any follow up to that at that time. At this rate I just want to wait and see what potential disaster (or not) that'll be baked up for that toy show they got Coleco on the hook with. Mike is an ass, he's not the only one given some other idiots out there trying to setup failed gaming magazines panhandling for scraps each year, one dude chronicling the details of wikipedia and other sites into a book with a few pics for $50, and other youtube failures like Pat and his publishing etc that go on. There's plenty of bad and dumb people to go around who have cashed in on the hobby or at least have attempted to.

Honestly between the price games people pull with old titles scaring people into paying more on faux rares and legit ones, youtube find/fear or brag videos, people like Mike and the others I noted it's a huge reason why I don't play games like I used to as they sucked the fun out of much of the old, and the industry on the whole with overpriced games and the play it safe yearly tripe I don't buy much anymore. I'm finding digging into gameboy(all) and genesis at this rate the only thing left I can get somewhat of a rise out of along with few games a year on 3ds and ps4. It's also why I got a beefy laptop to last me many years so I can look back decades or just a few years once all the bugs are out and I can find something people agree doesn't suck to blow a few bucks on. That may sound more down than up but it's the reality of it and to think just 2-3 years ago I was raring to go hunting for stuff and enjoying it still which is pretty sad. Speaking of which I got a couple small Lego sets today from the 90s that have zero chance of being disappointing I have to build still.

I re-read the new posts on the thread I linked on that other post, don't see Mike talking smack and accusing people, do you have a link as I'd like to read it, or is it some dumb twitter account as I don't use that.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 12-28-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I haven't seen it, but I'll take your word on it given Mikes track record. When I posted that, I hadn't seen any follow up to that at that time. At this rate I just want to wait and see what potential disaster (or not) that'll be baked up for that toy show they got Coleco on the hook with. Mike is an ass, he's not the only one given some other idiots out there trying to setup failed gaming magazines panhandling for scraps each year, one dude chronicling the details of wikipedia and other sites into a book with a few pics for $50, and other youtube failures like Pat and his publishing etc that go on. There's plenty of bad and dumb people to go around who have cashed in on the hobby or at least have attempted to.

Honestly between the price games people pull with old titles scaring people into paying more on faux rares and legit ones, youtube find/fear or brag videos, people like Mike and the others I noted it's a huge reason why I don't play games like I used to as they sucked the fun out of much of the old, and the industry on the whole with overpriced games and the play it safe yearly tripe I don't buy much anymore. I'm finding digging into gameboy(all) and genesis at this rate the only thing left I can get somewhat of a rise out of along with few games a year on 3ds and ps4. It's also why I got a beefy laptop to last me many years so I can look back decades or just a few years once all the bugs are out and I can find something people agree doesn't suck to blow a few bucks on. That may sound more down than up but it's the reality of it and to think just 2-3 years ago I was raring to go hunting for stuff and enjoying it still which is pretty sad. Speaking of which I got a couple small Lego sets today from the 90s that have zero chance of being disappointing I have to build still.

I re-read the new posts on the thread I linked on that other post, don't see Mike talking smack and accusing people, do you have a link as I'd like to read it, or is it some dumb twitter account as I don't use that.
    http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235...vgs/?p=3399140

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks, plenty of snark there to go around and look shady doing it. No wonder that thread got locked up tight.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Wait a minute, wasn't Carl Williams the cat who hosted the infamous podcast with Mike, Steve, and John perpetually disagreeing with each other? Now he's trying to ruin Mike's rep? Strange, because that guy seemed to have done a fair job interviewing them.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know or follow all that political crap, it's games. But I can see Mike's point though, few like being slipped a Hot Carl.