Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name some of the best games across all sytems and generations that cost $5 or less (physical media only)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question Name some of the best games across all sytems and generations that cost $5 or less (physical media only)

With so many games in my collection and backlog, I'm to the point where my (very) old max price point of $20 for game purchases is WAY too rich for my blood unless it's a new release, or something friends and I play online (which is only WiiU stuff). I'm sure that many of you are in the same situation with respect to pricing, so then, what are some of the ABSOLUTELY BEST games you can get for $5 or less? I don't mean fluke pricing, or something you can sometimes find for cheap. I'm talking a consistent market price of no more than $5. And I'm asking about want games you LOVE and think others might; not just games that are 'alright'. Games you hate knowing don't have a home when the sticker says $4.99 or less.

A few of my top picks are:

• Onimusha 1, 2 (XBOX/PS2) - I love parts 1 and 2 of this series. Only the first installment was multi-platform (the XBOX ,version is called Genma Onimusha), the rest were on PS2. Onimusha 2 is probably my single most played PS2 game (if not, then Rez). I'm not one who replays 'modern' games I've ended often, but I don't know how many times I've beaten this game.

• Gears of War 1, 2, 3 (XBOX360) - The Gears games were some of my favorite of last generation and I see each of them for 5 bucks or less all the time. I don't play many modern shooters, and Gears was probably the first cover based one I'd ever played, but it's definitely something special, IMO.

• Lumines I, II (PSP) - I own but have never played the second Lumines, but if it's half as good as the original it's easily worth the $3-$5 asking price I always see it going for.

• Gunpey (PSP) - The PSP version of this game is one of my favorite puzzlers. I see this game going for a dollar or two all the time. Hell, sometimes for $0.99. It's an awesome sensory experience, similar to Lumines.

• Mass Effect (360) - I see the XBOX360 version of all of the Mass Effect games going for cheap, but I see the first for $5 or less the most. I went into this game knowing NOTHING about this series, but after playing through the first one I can tell you it's definitely worth 5 dollars.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 10-08-2015 at 11:01 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Here are a few, though I know more will hit me at random in the future:

NES:
    Legacy of the Wizard-mayve the most misunderstood game on the system
    Rygar-if it had a save system, it'd be called a classic
    Dr. Chaos-underrated horror adventure in my opinion
    Legendary Wings-badass shooter that gets ignored for trendier games
    Breakthru-a Data East great that I never hear anyone talk about these days

Genesis:
    Crackdown-feels like a relative of Gain Ground, and it's fun
    Alien Storm-fun beat 'em up/shooter that feels like a futuristic Golden Axe gone right

SNES:
    Super Baseball Simulator 1.000-fun baseball with super powers
    Super Baseball 2020-great version of a great Neo Geo game is you don't have one
    On the Ball-sweet action puzzler from Taito
    Pop'n Twinbee-one of the best shooters on the system

Phone dying. I'll put up more later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Here are a few, though I know more will hit me at random in the future:

Dr. Chaos-underrated horror adventure in my opinion

Crackdown-feels like a relative of Gain Ground, and it's fun

Pop'n Twinbee-one of the best shooters on the system
    I swear, I was going to list Dr. Chaos, but I honestly didn't think anyone else liked this game.

I love Crackdown in the arcade, but I never see it for Genesis, and certainly never for that cheap. I would grab it in an instant if I saw a copy for $5 or less.

Pop'n Twinbee, I've literally never seen a copy of this game. Isn't this a Super Famicom title? And I don't think it's that cheap either. At least not in eBay.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 10-05-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

• Rage (XBOX360)

• Bulletstorm (XBOX360)

These are more games I knew nothing at all about and was more than pleased with. Rage was my nephew's game. My sister-in-law and her kid moved in with us for a while and he's got a bunch of 360 games that I have ZERO interest in, but they're almost all racing games. Every now and then he'll acquire a shooter that he NEVER PLAYS more than twice, tops. Anyway, I saw RAGE, popped it in, and so far it's been pretty good. This game goes for like $5 everywhere.

If you love cheese, Bulletstorm is awesome. I don't think this game sold very well. Maybe it was released at a funky time, or maybe it's really not good and I'm just weird or something, but this game was freaking hilarious to me and fun as shit. It's just so over the top violent and there's so much machismo. I'm normally put off by that sort of thing except in cases where the media doesn't take itself seriously, and I really don't think Bulletstorm does take itself seriously. I see this game for $4.99 or less a lot.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I swear, I was going to list Dr. Chaos, but I honestly didn't think anyone else liked this game.

I love Crackdown in the arcade, but I never see it for Genesis, and certainly never for that cheap. I would grab it in an instant if I saw a copy for $5 of less.

Pop'n Twinbee, I've literally never seen a copy of this game. Isn't this a Super Famicom title? And I don't think it's that cheap either. At least not in eBay.
    Pop'n Twinbee was released in Japan and Europe. A few years ago I was able to get a CIB (Japanese) for about $20 but I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone up a lot since then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Pop'n Twinbee can be had for that cheap on ebay loose. I got one this year in a lot of 4 SFC games, and I paid $7 for the lot. It's surprisingly inexpensive for such a good shooter. Crackdown I see up here in St Louis at $5 fairly often at stores like V Stock for dirt cheap. I really like that one.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 10-05-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

"Love" is a strong word for a few of these, but:

Smithereens (Odyssey˛)
    AD&D: Cloudy Mountain (Intellivision)
    Utopia (Intellivision)
    Parsec (TI-99/4A)
    Downland (Tandy CoCo)
    Air Fortress (NES)
    Marble Madness (NES)
    Xexyz (NES)
    Family Tennis (Famicom)
    David Crane's Amazing Tennis (Genesis/SNES)
    Jewel Master (Genesis)
    Light Crusader (Genesis)
    Drakkhen (SNES)
    SimCity (SNES)
    Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge (SNES)
    Super Tennis (SNES)
    Sol-Feace (Sega CD)

And, of course, there's 50+% of the whole Atari 2600 library to choose from, and about that much of the Game Boy library too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Die Hard Trilogy on the PS1 is ubiquitous, but it's also really, really fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I'm glad to know another Dr Chaos fan. As I recall you liked Legacy of the Wizard from another thread, Megas, so I'm just thinking you have great taste.

A few more for me:

Air Fortress (NES)-it's pretty hard toward the end, but the game has atmosphere for days.
    Crackdown (Xbox 360)-having the name Crackdown just means you're an awesome game.
    The Red Star (PS2)-Probably the best unknown game on the system, and currently can be had for $5-8 complete on ebay. Deal of the indiscriminant unit of time.
    Ribbit King (PS2, GC)-like a wackier Mario Golf where you catapult frogs.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

NES:
    Rollergames
    NARC

SNES:
    Revolution X
    Pilotwings

And many, many more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    The Red Star (PS2)-Probably the best unknown game on the system, and currently can be had for $5-8 complete on ebay. Deal of the indiscriminant unit of time.
    I've wanted this game for a while, but I thought it was in the $20 range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I've wanted this game for a while, but I thought it was in the $20 range.
    I double checked sold listings to make sure, and it's still in that range. A quick glance showed one sold at $5 with free shipping recently, and several less than $8. Talk about feeling the need to rescue copies, I've bought three myself and given them to friends who would enjoy it. It's just so freaking good. If you want it, it's as good an action game as I've played on PS2.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 10-05-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'll probably grab the first complete copy I come across for less than $10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Super Tetris 2 and Super Tetris 3 are SFC must haves. Solid gameplay, exceptionally English friendly. Those pentominoes in later Bombliss stages get frustrating though.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

A couple more:

Super Spike V'ball (NES)-some people prefer Kings of the Beach. Those people confuse me. I love this game so much I bought both the US and Japanese arcade pcbs, which were also cheap at $20 each.

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (PS2)-If you're into old-school wrestling style and wild customization, it's a must.

Space Invaders Extreme 1&2 (DS)-A total reimagining of Space Invaders with a classic feel but modern trappings almost like Rez in how the sound effects and music blend. Compatible with the Arkanoid paddle, too!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am sorry to be "that guy", but, you know that this topic is gonna become so HORRIBLY outdated sooner?

kinda like those articles about TOP 10 NES GEMS that are still cheap uder $15 written years ago.............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[LIST][*]If you love cheese, Bulletstorm is awesome. I don't think this game sold very well. Maybe it was released at a funky time, or maybe it's really not good and I'm just weird or something, but this game was freaking hilarious to me and fun as shit. It's just so over the top violent and there's so much machismo. I'm normally put off by that sort of thing except in cases where the media doesn't take itself seriously, and I really don't think Bulletstorm does take itself seriously. I see this game for $4.99 or less a lot.
    I also liked Bulletstorm. It was a lot of fun but unfortunately didn't sell well. I blame PS3 owners for that. Xbox 360 owners already had the Gears of War series so they didn't feel the need to buy it in droves but PS3 owners had no Gears equivalent from Epic so they should have snatched Bulletstorm up like it was going out of style. I'm also a fan of the voice acting in that game but you usually can't go wrong with Steve Blum.

As for me personally I see the Halo games(especially Halo 2) all the time at various Goodwill's for $4 each. I occasionally see the first Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic game there as well but not as often as the Halo games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gatucaman View Post
    I am sorry to be "that guy", but, you know that this topic is gonna become so HORRIBLY outdated sooner?

kinda like those articles about TOP 10 NES GEMS that are still cheap uder $15 written years ago.............
    I couldn't care less. I'm asking about good, cheap games to be on the look out for NOW, not years from now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I also liked Bulletstorm. It was a lot of fun but unfortunately didn't sell well. I blame PS3 owners for that. Xbox 360 owners already had the Gears of War series so they didn't feel the need to buy it in droves but PS3 owners had no Gears equivalent from Epic so they should have snatched Bulletstorm up like it was going out of style. I'm also a fan of the voice acting in that game but you usually can't go wrong with Steve Blum.
    I got the PC version (brand new) for $5 from a Half-Price-Books. It has Games for Windows LIVE built in, so I got LIVE achievements while playing it. The PC version looks awesome!

Here are some other games that I recommend.

Bioshock
    Borderlands 1/2
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
    Uncharted 3 (I'm surprised that it sells this low)
    Brutal Legend
    Fear 1-3
    Last edited by Gamevet; 10-08-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

All these games unless otherwise listed are on can be had for $3-$10 on Ebay. Because of cost, quality might not be ideal, varies from game to game. All these are great games from my collection and worth owning. Playstation fan so listed Playstation/multiconsole games.

Warhammer Shadow of the Horned Rat. For PSX or PC. The gameplay is Total War without any of the base building or class management. The game is mission based so you go through each mission with no ability to replay missions similar to a TRPG like Vagrant Story. The game is overall very balanced, but is also very hard, because if a unit loses any soldiers, you can only recruit soldiers to fill their ranks in town, and sometimes to fill your ranks you might need say 20 soldiers, but there's only 16 available, so you can pick and choose which unit they'll be hired into. Additionally, like Fire Emblem or Tactics Ogre, if a unit dies then they're gone for good. Good storyline and good voice acting, especially during its time of release. PSX version is better visually because the entire screen is visible, and you can quick swap back and forth between the map, while the PC version you play in 1/4th of the screen with the map taking 1/4 on the right and the bottom being a menu that never needed to be as large as it is for choose different commands for your units(spells, charge, hold, make all soldiers turn completely around, etc.) Amazing game that in comparison is just as good or better than something like Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen but isn't even a fraction of the cost complete.

Nightmare Creatures for PSX and N64. Being hard to find the PC version might not be so cheap. PSX is a little sharper visually, but I'd recommend the N64 version as there's some hit detection issues with Ignacius on the PSX version. This is an action adventure title with 20 huge levels and if you're looking for a gameplay comparison, this is basically Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne before those games ever existed. You explore the mostly linear, but branching areas of each level finding an amount of consumables that you can use to help get through the game while fighting your way through groups of creatures. It's a game developed towards having the player take their time because even when combating some enemies one on one, they're difficult, in addition to finding the helpful consumables, however the game has a continuously draining adrenaline meter that's refilled after every enemy you defeat, so if you go too slow and the adrenaline meter depletes, you'll start losing health until you kill an enemy. The adrenaline meter can be turned off on the N64 version. This is one of the best and one of my favorite action adventure games of all time, yet goes for nothing.

Blood Omen Legacy of Kain for PSX and PC.
    Blood Omen 2 for PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and PC.
    Legacy of Kain Defiance for PS2, Xbox, and PC.
    Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver for PSX, Dreamcast, and PC.
    Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2 for PS2 and PC.
    Die Hart Trilogy for PSX and PC.
    Driver for PSX and PC.
    Duke Nukem Time to Kill for PSX.
    Evergrace for PS2. Developed by FromSoftware, the true predecessor to Demon's Souls, but Nightmare Creatures is closer to that despite being a different developer.
    Armored Core for PSX and PS2. Just about the entire franchise can be purchased for cheap and are very good.
    Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for PS2 and Xbox.
    Champions of Norrath and Champions Return to Arms for PS2. These games are in the $15 minimum range. Developed by the same creators of Dark Alliance, these three games are some of the best Diablo clones ever made. The Champions games still had working online for the PS2 as as of 2014.
    Sacred 2 for PS360 and PC. My favorite Diablo clone and imo the best in the genre. Fuck Deep Silver for purchasing the company, killing it off, then proceeding to kill this amazing franchise.
    Resident Evil Outbreak for PS2. This game was before its time imo. Close to the top of the franchise imo.
    Kessen for PS2.
    Kessen 2 for PS2.
    Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter for PS2.
    Taito Legends for PS2 and Xbox.
    Taito Legends 2 for PS2 and Xbox.
    Taito Legends Power Up for PSP.
    Urban Reign for PS2. Amazing beat em up, around $10 or a little more.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-09-2015 at 10:07 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.