Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for getting into the Turbografx/Turboduo

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bozle View Post
    You seem a little upset. I'm not saying I'm rich or anything, I'm not even remotely close to it, I just have some money to waste for the next year. I started this thread to find out which model of the Turbo would be the best one to play the majority of it's great games on, both CD and HU-card. I'm far from an expert on retro games as I just started collecting not too long ago, so I wanted some advice from people who know more than me.
    Yea. It's an internet thing. I wouldn't mention or gauge a price for a game of that gen. Just mention it and be done with it. My bad, I'll outpick yall youngbucks because yall suck at contemps and on multiplayer. Where is the skill? I would have to do artwork with a partner just to compete. Don't talk shit bcuz it's the Jets. Play for real. Your fault if you don't, learn yunguns.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to get into TG16/PC-Engine

Just get an ever drive and be done with it. Don't waste your time or money on getting games, they are mad expensive.

Turbo duo would be the best option because other wise you need to find all 3 parts (assuming you want CD games)

second option is forget about CD games and just get a TB16+cd dock.

No matter what, unless you want just a basic HU Card system....going to cost you.
    Last edited by bigbacon; 10-21-2015 at 06:32 AM.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

This topic has become a sad display, hasn't it?

Anyway, go with a Duo-R or Duo-RX. They're practically identical beyond the fact that the RX came packaged with a (shitty) 6-button controller. I'm guessing the R is probably cheaper. Don't get the US Duo or the original Japanese Duo. With an R or RX, you're all set for playing anything besides US HuCards and Arcade CDs. Lacking an Arcade system card is no big deal, but they're not horribly expensive if you really want one. Just get a plain old TG-16 if you want to play US HuCards. I imagine that's still cheaper than a mod or adapter.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I dunno. With games like Sapphire, Renny Blaster, Fausette Armor, Magical Chase, Beyond Shadowgate, Terraforming, etc., you really are in AES territory.
    Of those, I think Sapphire was the only version to get a recent-ish re-release. It was a released on a collection for PSP with the Galaxy Yuna VNs. Since it's obscure I was able to get it a couple years ago for like $25 and shipping. Not sure if there's anything wrong with it besides lack of multiplayer but it'll probably be the only cheap way to get the game legit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's been said a million times here, but I would echo the Duo-R and American TG-16 one-two punch if you want to get into this system without emulating. I had the Turbo when people were fighting over Sega and Nintendo so I have a pretty significant collection from way back when to fall back on. Some of the values have gotten insane, but you can still get some good games and not go broke (especially if you buy Japanese).

Bomberman '93 and '94 are good cheap grabs on the PCE side of things, as our Street Fighter II, Gunhead, and Cybercore. You can also get a Duo Tap and a few controllers to round things out. Avenue Pad Six's aren't too insane right now, and a Japanese arcade card will let you play some of the SNK fighters that got ported. I only just started burning games that I wanted to try out (Space Fantasy Zone anyone?), and haven't run into problems yet. The CD on my U.S. TG-16 stopped working, but I never ran a burned game in it. Pretty sure it just threw that blasted gear. Haven't bothered to open it since I have the Duo-R ;P.

I would recommend not getting a PCE with the CD attachment since they have the same flaws as the US CD systems and you would need to pick up a Super System card to play fan favorites like Rondo of Blood and Lords of Thunder.
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have a Duo-R with region switch, it's the best possible set up.

If I were motivated to help OP, I could direct him where to find such a thing.

But I'm not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bozle View Post
    You seem a little upset. I'm not saying I'm rich or anything, I'm not even remotely close to it, I just have some money to waste for the next year. I started this thread to find out which model of the Turbo would be the best one to play the majority of it's great games on, both CD and HU-card. I'm far from an expert on retro games as I just started collecting not too long ago, so I wanted some advice from people who know more than me.
    I think there's something to be said for that. You don't just want to play this stuff for the sake of playing it, you want to collect it.

That said, it's not a great time to start collecting for this system (especially U.S. stuff), but, if you've got the money, time, and desire then go for it. I'd start light and identify the killer apps you want to have now and plan around those.
    Dig it old-school?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Retronick View Post
    It's been said a million times here, but I would echo the Duo-R and American TG-16 one-two punch if you want to get into this system without emulating. I had the Turbo when people were fighting over Sega and Nintendo so I have a pretty significant collection from way back when to fall back on. Some of the values have gotten insane, but you can still get some good games and not go broke (especially if you buy Japanese).

Bomberman '93 and '94 are good cheap grabs on the PCE side of things, as our Street Fighter II, Gunhead, and Cybercore. You can also get a Duo Tap and a few controllers to round things out. Avenue Pad Six's aren't too insane right now, and a Japanese arcade card will let you play some of the SNK fighters that got ported. I only just started burning games that I wanted to try out (Space Fantasy Zone anyone?), and haven't run into problems yet. The CD on my U.S. TG-16 stopped working, but I never ran a burned game in it. Pretty sure it just threw that blasted gear. Haven't bothered to open it since I have the Duo-R ;P.

I would recommend not getting a PCE with the CD attachment since they have the same flaws as the US CD systems and you would need to pick up a Super System card to play fan favorites like Rondo of Blood and Lords of Thunder.
    US Turbo Grafx systems are junky becuase they dont have AV output. IMO they arent worth owning to play games on.

super cd rom systems are much better than the US & japanese cd rom systems. They are more reliable than regular cd systems and duos and do not need any super system cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    US Turbo Grafx systems are junky becuase they dont have AV output. IMO they arent worth owning to play games on.

super cd rom systems are much better than the US & japanese cd rom systems. They are more reliable than regular cd systems and duos and do not need any super system cards.
    Definitely looks sturdy. I've heard late model R and RX consoles are just about as dependable though. Is that not the case? Regardless, I've been considering adding one of these to my collection for a while. If for no other reason than to have as a backup.
    Dig it old-school?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Definitely looks sturdy. I've heard late model R and RX consoles are just about as dependable though. Is that not the case? Regardless, I've been considering adding one of these to my collection for a while. If for no other reason than to have as a backup.
    In my experience the super cd rom systems plays backups much better than duos. Ive also heard other people say the disc player is more dependable than that on the duos.

Chrono Trigger Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I have a Duo-R with region switch, it's the best possible set up.

If I were motivated to help OP, I could direct him where to find such a thing.

But I'm not.
    Already did, thanks tho.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

sorry Bozle, apparently some of us on here are buttholes.

any way no matter the variant of the system you end up with have you thought of getting a Turbo EverDrive for the more expensive games?
    I mean I completely understand having the real deal but some times its a bit cost prohibitive when you weren't able to get them while they were new

trust me
    this is coming from the guy who finished collecting the US Mega Man games and is now collecting the Rockman versions of the same games so I understand getting the real deals but if I didn't get some of these new (X2/X3) I wouldn't be able to do it at all and I am not exactly broke either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    sorry Bozle, apparently some of us on here are buttholes.

any way no matter the variant of the system you end up with have you thought of getting a Turbo EverDrive for the more expensive games?
    I mean I completely understand having the real deal but some times its a bit cost prohibitive when you weren't able to get them while they were new

trust me
    this is coming from the guy who finished collecting the US Mega Man games and is now collecting the Rockman versions of the same games so I understand getting the real deals but if I didn't get some of these new (X2/X3) I wouldn't be able to do it at all and I am not exactly broke either
    I see where OP is coming from. Anybody can buy a print of famous artwork and spend very little money. It looks the same from a distance; it's identical compositionally; you can frame it, etc... Through emulation, piracy, legit ports, or any other means we can play pretty much anything that hasn't been lost to the sands of time. But owning a piece that came out of that era is pretty special.

That said, I align mostly with you in that there are some games I simply cannot justify the cost of. Domestic copies of Magical Chase and Bonk 3 CD are two great examples of that. For the former I would own an everdrive just to play it on original hardware, and I own the Hucard for the latter. There are some games that I just prefer having the originals for, and I've paid for 'em myself. It comes down to motivation. Is the motivation just to play, or is the motivation to collect these modern artifacts?

I don't begrudge anyone that emulates. Their motivation is to play, which I respect. I love Neo Geo so I bought a cabinet for very little money and threw a yellow bootleg multicart into it. That's really not too dissimilar from owning a Duo with an Everdrive when you think about it. Did that because I wanted the arcade feel, but even MVS games are getting pricy these days.
    Dig it old-school?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, the cabinets/boards for MVS are common and cheap, but the games are working their way up. What people usually don't realize is that the converters for AES usually go for about $300, so couple that with a modded AES/US unit or buy a consolized MVS and you end up shelling out a good $700 before even touching a cart, whereas buying a cabinet usually is under $300 in good order for a 1 slot, or building a supergun/buying a pcb costs less than $150, and a cabinet often comes with one or more games. Mine came with a Metal Slug on a 25" monitor just this year for $150 in a US upright one slot cabinet. I also picked up the multicart, as it has most of my AES library and let me try several more, then I've been picking up extra carts for stuff I don't already have on AES like Windjammers, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see where OP is coming from. Anybody can buy a print of famous artwork and spend very little money. It looks the same from a distance; it's identical compositionally; you can frame it, etc... Through emulation, piracy, legit ports, or any other means we can play pretty much anything that hasn't been lost to the sands of time. But owning a piece that came out of that era is pretty special.

That said, I align mostly with you in that there are some games I simply cannot justify the cost of. Domestic copies of Magical Chase and Bonk 3 CD are two great examples of that. For the former I would own an everdrive just to play it on original hardware, and I own the Hucard for the latter. There are some games that I just prefer having the originals for, and I've paid for 'em myself. It comes down to motivation. Is the motivation just to play, or is the motivation to collect these modern artifacts?

I don't begrudge anyone that emulates. Their motivation is to play, which I respect. I love Neo Geo so I bought a cabinet for very little money and threw a yellow bootleg multicart into it. That's really not too dissimilar from owning a Duo with an Everdrive when you think about it. Did that because I wanted the arcade feel, but even MVS games are getting pricy these days.
    Exactly. I collect for two reasons: to play great games, and to, well, collect. I like to have the actual item. And I just don't like emulating. I'd been emulating for a while before I went out and started buying consoles; I made the decisions to buy consoles for a reason, that reason being that emulation just isn't for me. It just lacks the authentic feel. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to emulate themselves, it's totally understandable, it's just not for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

For those of you posting up above me because i can't quote on the mobile version for some reason at the moment....

I get having the real deal, i was just thinking in terms of ever drive it's not really emulation. Your playing it on real hardware the system gets the same data off of it as if it were a real game. Plus, and this is the reason i consider one, you can get translated versions of games you may already have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I get having the real deal, i was just thinking in terms of ever drive it's not really emulation. Your playing it on real hardware the system gets the same data off of it as if it were a real game. Plus, and this is the reason i consider one, you can get translated versions of games you may already have
    Yeah I agree, flash carts arent emulation. If you just want to collect, goto ebay and deposit your money, you wont need any advice. At this point in time, buying to collect and buying to play are two totally different things. I have an everdrive as well and its awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Love this post and agree with it all. I did the same thing and have for years with stuff. The price of some NES games started turning to complete bs 5 years ago now, so I got a powerpak which I had for a good stretch. Why pay $500 (now $1000) for Little Samson when you could get a cart for $100~?) Yet sometimes you really do want to get or retain something which has become stupid money (over $100 on a cart, far more on paper) and as such I've kept a good many of my old SNES carts from the day which are expensive now and the paper worse (Dracula X+manual, Earthbound+guide, etc.) I don't use much of any of it anymore but I won't let it go because of the if-when that itch needs scratching it's there and won't cost me $100s to have it again. Plus with a 4 year old...she likes to play a bit so there's that too.

But sometimes even emulation even if it's a cheapest route (simulated/emulated), cheaper route (real cabinet but emulated/bootleg goodies inside), or paying up -- sometimes there's that value in the real deal still. For him it was the NeoGeo cabinet with the awesome yellow cart (I've experienced this with SamSpade on NintendoAge as he was my city neighbor back west, yet his was a consolized arcade system.) I did this with my example which is pinball. Sure I can have a table for $5, or I can get a beater cab or a nice one, then drop a LED in it and an android setup in a pin-sim table, but no I went all the way...I own Pin-Bot which is in my top3 of mid/early 80s pinball tables when I was a kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For those of you posting up above me because i can't quote on the mobile version for some reason at the moment....

Yeah, flash drive is something I'd consider for sure. Emulating on my computer/phone is a definite no.

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Yeah I agree, flash carts arent emulation. If you just want to collect, goto ebay and deposit your money, you wont need any advice. At this point in time, buying to collect and buying to play are two totally different things. I have an everdrive as well and its awesome.
    If it makes any sense, buy to collect and play. Like, I won't be shelling out over $50 for a game that isn't hailed as something fantastic. I will pay a lot of money for a game that is both great AND rare/valuable .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Don't forget to do some shopping out side of eBay amazon and retail game stores.
    Most of my most valuable rare things in my collection are the things i paid the least amount for.

And i wasn't being a smart ass when i said to check the trash. I literally found my tg-16 complete in box minus a controller and Keith courage and a turbo booster complete in a dumpster. It was with 3 paper ream boxes of apple 2 softwares upgrades and parts as well with the Apple it self and 3 ti 99/4a s complete in box.

My other finds usually come from a store where if it doesn't sell there next stop is land fill.

I see collecting like the stock market. Buy as low as you can legitimately and be able to make some thing off of it when the time comes.