Thread: Shmups for Xbox360, PS3 and Wii

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Shmups for Xbox360, PS3 and Wii

Shmups are a timeless genre and very collectible. Too bad that since the 3D era the genre got replaced by first-person shooters, but once in a while there are still great shmups released. (like Gradius V and R-Type for the Ps2 or Ikaruga for the GameCube).

I looked around for shmups (2D only, not 3D rail-shooters) for the last generation consoles and came up with the following lists. Especially the XBox360 shmups are fantastic, and I tried to find out which ones are region free. Did I miss something, and is Under Defeat indeed the only shmup for the PS3 or are there Japanese or European Releases? Since the PS3 has no region-lock, it would be ideal for import-shmups.

(Dont mind the X's behind the titles, these are just notes for myself and I'm too lazy to remove them. A X means just that I have the game)

XBox360:

American Releases
    :

DeathSmiles X
    Akai Katana X
    Raiden Fighters Aces X
    Otomedius Excellent X
    Project Silpheed: Arc of Deception X
    Wartech: Senko No Ronde X (Hybrid!: 2D-shmup/2D-fighter)
    Raiden IV Limited Edition

Region-free Japanese/European:

DoDonPachi: Resurrection (European version (PAL) is region-free but not Japanese release!!)
    Mushihime-sama Futari v1.5 Platinum Collection
    Espgaluda II Black Label (Limited Edition is region locked!)
    GingaForce
    Eschatos
    Bullet Soul
    MuchiMuchi Pork! & Pink Sweets

Wii:

Blast Works X
    Ultimate Shooting Collection X
    Sin and Punishment X
    Castle Shikigami 3 X
    Ocean Commander X
    The Monkey King X
    Saint X

Ilvelo (Japan only?)
    Milestone Shooting Collection 2 (Japan only) (incl. Radiargy Noa and Ilvelo)

PS3:

Under Defeat HD Deluxe X

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

There's at least Ketsui and Caladrius on PS3. There are also some compilations if you count them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    There's at least Ketsui and Caladrius on PS3. There are also some compilations if you count them.
    Thanks guy! Noted and looked them (Ketsui and Caladrius) up, they are indeed physical releases and look pretty good.

What kind of compilations do you mean? Classic ones or newer shmup compilations like the Ultimate Shooting Collection for the Wii?

I found another one, but so far I didn't discover more for PS3 or Wii. The game is called "Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! Meikai Katsugeki Wide-Han" for the PS3. (At this point I wanna deeply thank the inventor of copy and paste...no, this is not the translation of the title)

The game looks very interesting, the scrolling of the screen is determined by the player, and it takes place on ground with different branches and paths. By all means it looks like an unusual shoot-em-up.
    Last edited by lendelin; 10-07-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

For compilations, I mean stuff like Data East Arcade Classics for Wii (has Super Real Darwin), Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360 or PS3 (arcade Fantasy Zone and Zaxxon), or Namco Museum Megamix for Wii (Galaga, Xevious, and a couple of oddballs like Bosconian and Grobda). There are a few like those that contain essentially emulated arcade shooters on physical disc.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    For compilations, I mean stuff like Data East Arcade Classics for Wii (has Super Real Darwin), Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360 or PS3 (arcade Fantasy Zone and Zaxxon), or Namco Museum Megamix for Wii (Galaga, Xevious, and a couple of oddballs like Bosconian and Grobda). There are a few like those that contain essentially emulated arcade shooters on physical disc.
    Yeah, I'm aware of the compilations for classic games, I collect them since the PS1 times. But I meant compilations of newer games. Nevertheless, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. If you know other shmups for these 3 systems, please let us know.

I don't know what it is about good 2D shmups or platformers, they are just timeless. They just wanna be nothing more than they are. They are resistent to graphical development. An Axelay, MUSHA, Space Megaforce, Life Force or Gradius are today as great as they were in the 80s and 90s and are as much fun like Gradius V or Deathsmiles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dodonpachi SAIDAIOUJOU is region free on 360. So is Shooting love 10th anniversary. Also Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst.
    Last edited by CDiablo; 10-07-2015 at 11:01 PM.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    Dodonpachi SAIDAIOUJOU is region free on 360. So is Shooting love 10th anniversary. Also Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst.
    Thanks a lot! Indeed, 'Dodonpachi SAIDAIOUJOU' is a sequel to 'Dodonpachi Resurrection', region-free and might be the last shooter from Cave.

I didn't think that I overlooked a 360 game, but here it is. Again, thanks a lot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Only other one that leaps to mind in Mamoru-kun for PS3. If I think of any others playable on US consoles I'll chime in.

Edit: didn't notice you mentioned it in its full title already. I think you're mostly complete save maybe something obscure on the Wii, or if you're counting stuff like Heavenly Guardian.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 10-08-2015 at 12:38 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a heads-up:

Caladrius Blaze is now available for the PS4. So far it was an import game for the PS3 and way overpriced (unless you knew someone from Japan who bought it for you), but PlayAsia offers it now for a halway decent price of $30. The game is good, a great shooter, and has English subtitles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I don't know if it's available anymore on PSN, but Super Stardust was available for the PS3 early on for the console. It's not your typical shoot'em up though.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

360 has so many good shmups i still need to get a few and need to mod or get an import 360. probably missed a bunch on ps3 also. I had a ton via virtual console on wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Deathsmiles 2 and Bullet Soul are digital for US 360. If you don't mind that.
    Edit: Caladrius and Shooting Love 200X as well.
    Last edited by theclaw; 09-25-2016 at 04:01 AM.
    Lum fan.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Deathsmiles 2 and Bullet Soul are digital for US 360. If you don't mind that.
    Edit: Caladrius and Shooting Love 200X as well.
    Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately, I do mind. I'm heavily opposed to digital releases. Too bad because Deathsmiles 2 would be great to have and play. With the 'having'-part I have a prob with digital releases. I'm just glad that Caladrius Blaze got a physical release for the PS4.