Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Games you wish had come out on other platforms (Exclusivity envy!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ghouls 'n Ghosts (1988) should have seen a release on the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Final Fight (1989) - ditto, since it was released in arcades while the Double Dragon craze was still a money-maker. Programmer Yoshiki Okamoto cited the previous year's Double Dragon II: The Revenge as influence for the title.

The Disney licenses TaleSpin (1991), Darkwing Duck (1992), DuckTales 2 (1993) and Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers 2 (1994) should have been released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

Mega Man 4, 5 and 6 (1992, '94) - ditto.

~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 10-13-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Only game I was ever remotely envious of was Final Fantasy 7.

I had a Saturn and loved it to death, but I had just finished FF 6 on the Snes a few months before FF 7 was released. Needless to say i was really excited about FF 7. I was an avid reader of Game Players magazine and after FF 7 was released stateside, they ran a short article talking about how they wanted to see FF 7 on the Saturn and what improvements could be made to play to the saturns strengths.

This gave me hope that it would eventually come to the Saturn and made me want the game even more. Obviously this never happened but it still makes me think "What if?" to this day!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

At least it came to the PC with a big box of useful papers and keyboard shortcuts, that's where I got it. And it had this really wicked Yamaha Sound Synthesizer that did wonders for music in general and really boosted the quality of MIDI music with the sound fonts it could handle. Long after I realized that game was mediocre I kept it around for the Yamaha.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I recall it came in two box variants: one with the weird Eidos trapezoid box and then another with a normal rectangular box.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Speaking of games strangely lacking on Nintendo consoles: Ghouls 'n Ghosts. It got ported quite a bit, even one of the FIVE games released for the SuperGrafx but not a single Nintendo console (except the Genesis version on Wii VC).
    Digression, it seems a lot of people thing Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is a port, and thus they'll play the NES game then the SNES game, while completely skipping over the Genesis game. It's not the same game at all, guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The genesis game is a port of the arcade game of the same name. The NES game is a port of the arcade game that preceded it, and the SNES game is unique.

And my FF7 was the trapezoid box and it was the version with that Yamaha Sound Synth too which was just so fun to use outside of the game as I was big into video game MIDI music at the time, and some well done movie soundtrack bits like the Raiders March.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The genesis game is a port of the arcade game of the same name. The NES game is a port of the arcade game that preceded it, and the SNES game is unique.
    I'm aware, it's just that the Genesis version is the most common version of Ghouls, in the US anyway, I don't remember seeing the arcade much if at all, and the other ports were mostly not released in the US. Meanwhile Ghouls was practically a flagship title for the early days of the Genesis.

My point was though, people thinking that they just added SUPER to the title because it was on the SNES and that was the thing to do with SNES, rather than it being a full fledged sequel of its own.

Incidental to everything, the SMS Ghouls n' Ghosts is also not exactly a port of the arcade, yet not really a new game either. Shame the SMS was dead in the US before it came out, I would have liked to have played it in the era before emulators.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've had that SMS game both times I had the system and it is quite fun, but different as you said. The whole sequel or version that people assume is one thing but isn't seems to happen enough each generation. DOOM64 was passed off and semi-ignored by people who don't read as the PC game for N64, not a unique game entirely.