Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
Old FMV games are becoming popular again, mainly because crappy B movies are becoming popular for the mainstream crowd to watch. So many terrible films are getting released on DVD and Bluray that otherwise should have died out years ago. Like why is The Room so popular now?

It's easy for developers to re-release old FMV games, all that's really involved is to release the existing footage in a higher resolution and people will buy it. Plus these old games have less than an hour's worth of footage so it doesn't take long compared to remaking an actual real playable game that has real content. Plus crappy games are usually cheaper to license.

I'll admit to owning a few FMV games myself including Night Trap on the Sega CD but I haven't really played them for any length of time.
The FMV games are popular because they are such a staple from a bygone era. There is nothing on the market in 2018 that resembles these games (apart from this re-release.) The one I remember the most is Fox Hunt on the PS1. Too bad it's a $70+ game now.

Night Trap has a lot of historical significance as well of course for leading Congress to put pressure on the gaming industry and which lead to the ESRB (the other game being Mortal Kombat)

and yeah I love the B-movies but typically I avoid the ones that are purposely bad. In the pre-internet days, it seems amateur film makers weren't the most self-aware, leading to hilariously bad films like Plan 9 from Outer Space and Manos the Hands of Fate. In the last ten years or so, it seems there's been a trend to try and make it to the bottom of the IMDB list for worst film. a lot of these films end up just being so bad they're just bad; case in point- Birdemic, Sharknado, Gingerdead Man, et. al. At least with Ed Wood's films, he genuinely was trying to make a good film.