Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

And another competitor enters the fray.
    Super Rare Games. Anyone else hear of them? I Googled indie games the other day and ran across this article... https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...intendo-switch

It was an interesting read and even mentioned competing with the likes of Limited Run Games and how their business model differed. I checked them out at https://superraregames.com/ and bought Human: Fall Flat. I was sort of surprised I could still purchase the game, as it was released March 9th.
    Let me tell you, it sure was nice ordering a game in a nice leisurely fashion instead of the frantic sniping experience I have at both Limited Run and Strictly Limited Games. Play Asia recently notified me they were changing the way they sell their exclusives from a per-order sign up process to the the exact same way Limited Run does - due to costumer requests. Really!

Anyway, I figured the OP wouldn't mind this post as there aren't too many people here and most seem interested in physical copies of indie games.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't mind at all. The more info on limited physical releases, the merrier. I sometimes post about releases not from LRG in this topic myself. Thanks for the heads-up on Super Rare Games. This is the first I've heard of them. I'm surprised they got the Switch version of The Flame in the Flood, considering LRG did the PS4 version. I wonder if that means Super Rare Games is giving developers a better cut than LRG.

It's funny how most of the LRG copycats are doing either Asian or European releases. With the ESRB fees, I guess this business concept isn't so profitable anymore for an American startup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

There was a company that had rights to 99Vidas. I really regret missing out on the chance to get the Vita copy. Is it possible that LRG might release this game?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    There was a company that had rights to 99Vidas. I really regret missing out on the chance to get the Vita copy. Is it possible that LRG might release this game?
    Not sure about an LRG copy but I do know 99 Vidas is free right now on PSN with PS+.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Yup, got it a few days ago. Seriously enjoying it. Wish I had known of the release of it from Strictly Limited Games. Hope I cam trade a copy of it for something else.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    LRG passed on publishing this title and SLG then picked it up. Probably not.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If anybody hasn't yet bought and wants Future Unfolding for PS4, it's still available with the vinyl.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Siralim is one of the games that will be released next week, April 27th. Looked it up and the game actually looks really interesting.

Now while you get scrolls with your main character to cast a limited amount of spells, you can really do little else but attack, but every monster in the game has an element as well as a unique effect. So where it looks interesting at is you basically want to build your party around the monsters effects, equipping each monster with artifacts which will make the most use of the effect that monster has, and then attacking monsters based on the rock, paper, scissors of elements, but also based on what monster effect is more dangerous. Party build and the enemies you're fighting is really where all the depth comes from. Will pick this up for the PS4 and Vita, I'll probably never open the Vita version, but it seems a better fit for portable than console because the graphics.

*edit*

I thought a little bit more about it and Siralim is basically a procedurally generation dungeon with nothing unique about the environments. Randomized treasure boxes, etc. If all you can do is attack and you're with a very specific party for a good amount of time, it's obvious that the game can become very very very repetitious since the game has little else going for it than party customization and synchronization. It's honestly a good concept, but is it a good enough concept to double dip with all of its limitations(ie, everything else.) Well, you'll find out later when I post on the forum about how LRG goes back to bottom of the barrel trash or not, depends on how long it takes me to play it because as of right now I'm playing through Ys8 and The Evil Within 2, and after finishing those two it'll be Yakuza 6 and Darkest Dungeon that have priority over everything else.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-22-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Preorders for the Switch versions of Flinthook and Mercenary Kings were opened today, and the second batch of the Tribute Treasure Box is going on sale soon.

It kinda sucks that they announced the PS4 and Vita LRG releases of Mercenary Kings ages ago and we're still waiting, meanwhile the Switch version was only announced fairly recently and is already up for sale.