Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    They only started running focus groups because they were losing business to start with. It's like when Target tried to enter the Canadian market, they were just out of touch with what people wanted. Same when Krispy Kreme entered Canada(it's still around in like one location), or when Radio Shack failed to adapt to changing times, etc. Tons of businesses just go under or severely lose market share because of various decisions they make or because people start to perceive them differently, it's easy to go from a top company to rock bottom. LRG might actually be doing fine now but they still need to pay attention to how they're perceived as just searching various forums online there's tons of negative comments all over the place, much more than I thought there'd be.

Anyway besides Fangamer there's several other competitors to LRG, I'll just list them below in case anybody wants anything from them as well. It's not just Play Asia. You did mention a couple of these by name previously, I didn't overlook it. I don't know if there's any I've overlooked, just trying to keep track of everything out there.

https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/
    https://specialreservegames.com/
    https://signatureeditiongames.com/
    https://superraregames.com/
    Sears went under because baby boomers keep dying. They were trying to rely solely on that specific demographic which is a horrible idea.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I just want to point out something that Bojay keeps stating is impossible to do. Mutant Mudds Collection. All the games together in a single release. Not only did another publisher do it, but a knock off of LRG, you know, the LRG who is far more popular because they've been around longer. But no, it'd be waaaaaay too expensive to be profitable right?

https://superraregames.com/products/...lection-switch

There's also N++ Ultimate Edition, something LRG should have waited on. They knew the Ultimate Edition was going to be released, the game wasn't even in print yet and the devs already showed off the trailer for the Ultimate Edition adding double the content. LRG even had many people questioning them if they can wait for the Ultimate Edition because this was one of the few games announced the month before release. Or considering since the game wasn't in print should I say "pre-order?"

Anyways, Fox n Forests and Sayonara Umihara Kawase are both coming out soon through Strictly Limited Games. The limited edition versions have already come and gone(sold out.) The regular versions are releasing November 25th. Fox n Forests is 24.99€ on PS4 and 29.99€ on Switch while Sayonara Umihara Kawase is 29.99€ on Vita. I'll be getting both, but I'm more interested in Sayonara Umihara Kawase because the only place I've only ever played the game on an emulator for SNES, this latest release being an expanded version of the PSP game but also includes the SNES release as an extra.

This Friday though, I'm not going to bother getting Race the Sun through LRG, looks like the bottom of the barrel bullshit that LRG is usually known for on a weekly basis. I will however be getting a standard edition version of Cosmic Star Heroine, will be my first Switch game. Furi would have been my first Switch game, but there was nothing else I was interested in the whole month so I didn't bother. I'm thinking of getting Butcher, not sure yet.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-19-2018 at 05:28 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Super Rare Games didn't bundle the Mutant Mudds games together themselves. That's the only way in which the games are available digitally on Switch, so Super Rare Games is in the opposite situation. They couldn't sell them individually even if they wanted to. It'd be like trying to separate the games on The Bit.Trip. On PSN, even if you order the "Double Pack", functionally, it's no different from buying the games individually on PSN. To release them together physically on Sony platforms, LRG would've had to either include two discs/cards in each case or have a programmer create a new build of the games with a GUI to allow the player to select a game. The latter is pretty much out of the question, and Super Rare Games is never going to do that either. With the former, I don't know if that would've been any cheaper than the $50 for the games in separate cases. I know there are PS4 cases that can hold two discs, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no Vita game case that has held two cards, at least not among US releases. I'm also very skeptical that Sony would manufacture specially designed cases for LRG, given how little Sony cares about the Vita. Just getting a manual as thick as Cosmic Star Heroine's in a Vita case was a problem.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

As I type this, I have 4 different games in transit (Bastion, Late Shift, Golf Story, Exile's End). They weren't kidding when they said they were really going full steam ahead with getting people their games. It was hard for me not to get annoyed with how long it took to start getting these games shipped. Out of all the common things that people online bitch about when it comes to LRG, the ONLY thing I honestly care about is to improve upon the time between selling and shipping. I feel like they will eventually correct this though, as they probably don't want to be put in a situation again where they have 80,000 packages to send and probably just as many impatient customers.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I hope the wait times improve too. I just got my Cosmic Star Heroine and Antiquia Lost recently, and my Bastion and Exile's End are currently on their way to me. But it feels like for every order that's fulfilled, there's two more I place, so my backlog of unfulfilled orders only keeps growing. Granted, I would have fewer orders if LRG was better about how they've been grouping items together lately. It used to be that, more often than not, I could order at least a couple games at the same time, but lately it seems like everything is spread out, such that I'm buying one single game practically every week.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I hope everybody in the US had a nice Thanksgiving. LRG is participating in Black Friday as well, so today, they're selling Cosmic Star Heroine for Switch, Butcher for PS4, and Race the Sun for both PS4 and Vita. They'll also be putting up some leftovers from previous releases throughout the day, but they're saving the majority of their leftovers for New Years.

Just a Vita Race the Sun for me, though it doesn't look especially exciting of a game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I didn't buy any LRG black friday games, but I got so many great deals on gaming stuff at Target, Best Buy, and Gamestop. I now have my Salt & Sanctuary in transit, and the oldest order I have unfulfilled is 8-Bit Adventure. That looks so much better than the backlog of games that were unfulfilled dating back to July.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Thanks. I had a good Thanksgiving, also decided to go back on what I said and didn't pick up any LRG that week, just picked up Fox and Forests and that one SNES remake, then picked up nine other games following up to and including Black Friday.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.