Page 40 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Old FMV games are becoming popular again, mainly because crappy B movies are becoming popular for the mainstream crowd to watch. So many terrible films are getting released on DVD and Bluray that otherwise should have died out years ago. Like why is The Room so popular now?

It's easy for developers to re-release old FMV games, all that's really involved is to release the existing footage in a higher resolution and people will buy it. Plus these old games have less than an hour's worth of footage so it doesn't take long compared to remaking an actual real playable game that has real content. Plus crappy games are usually cheaper to license.

I'll admit to owning a few FMV games myself including Night Trap on the Sega CD but I haven't really played them for any length of time.
    The FMV games are popular because they are such a staple from a bygone era. There is nothing on the market in 2018 that resembles these games (apart from this re-release.) The one I remember the most is Fox Hunt on the PS1. Too bad it's a $70+ game now.

Night Trap has a lot of historical significance as well of course for leading Congress to put pressure on the gaming industry and which lead to the ESRB (the other game being Mortal Kombat)

and yeah I love the B-movies but typically I avoid the ones that are purposely bad. In the pre-internet days, it seems amateur film makers weren't the most self-aware, leading to hilariously bad films like Plan 9 from Outer Space and Manos the Hands of Fate. In the last ten years or so, it seems there's been a trend to try and make it to the bottom of the IMDB list for worst film. a lot of these films end up just being so bad they're just bad; case in point- Birdemic, Sharknado, Gingerdead Man, et. al. At least with Ed Wood's films, he genuinely was trying to make a good film.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Oddworld Abe's Odyssee is one thing, unique gameplay style with very few similar games, games like Blackthorne, etc. It helps that it's also a fairly good game. Munch's Odyssee on the other hand was never really that good. Even when it was new there were better games in that gameplay style. I honestly think people hear Oddworld and they just relate the entire series to how good they've heard Abe's Odyssee is. I didn't even go for this one honestly. I was actually going to just because it was Oddworld and then decided not to.
    Munch's Oddysee- crap game was excellent cutscenes and box art. I played it last week on the Xbox. after 30 min to an hour, and realizing the dumb ass collecting BS wasn't just a tutorial, I had to put it down. very unsatisfying gameplay. Game Informer gave it a 7 out of 10 which is basically a score of D+ on the video game rating scale.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I noticed LRG pulled something pretty scummy today. Yesterday, I noticed the Metronomicon bundle had sold out, while there were around 30 copies of the OST left last I looked and a fair percentage of the standalone game. Nothing wrong with that, since people could just add the two items to their cart individually to create their own "bundle" for the same price as the sold-out bundle if they wanted. The ideal scenario is for bundles to sell out first. I took a look at where their stock stood on the remaining items this morning, and now the bundle is back in stock, while the OST is out of stock. So now, in an attempt to move more copies of the game, they've eliminated the possibility of buying the OST by itself, screwing over game soundtrack collectors who buy from LRG for their albums rather than their games. Now you're forced to buy a copy of a game if you want the OST. It's not like Metronomicon isn't going to sell out soon enough regardless. There was no good reason to shift the stock around like this. :/

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

A pretty big sales day today with Fallen Legion (PS4 & Vita, though the game differs depending on the platform), Lethal League (PS4) and its soundtrack, and Super Hydorah (PS4) in both standard and "Classic Edition" versions. Only a Vita Fallen Legion for myself, but good luck to those fighting over Super Hydorah. The standard copies sold out in the blink of an eye, and the CEs were soon to follow. Right now, nothing but Lethal League is still available from the first batch.

Originally, I was gonna say I was happy to have a little bit of a break as a Vita collector with only one game to buy today, but now I'm just ticked since they announced Nurse Love Addiction for next Friday. Again, LRG is not thinking about grouping games in logical ways to save on shipping costs. I hate paying shipping on one single LRG release if another I plan to buy is being sold in just a week or less. I also really have to question what LRG is doing about CEs. They claimed to be cutting back so that they could save them for the games that truly deserve them and so that they could focus on making each truly worth the price tag, yet here we are back to have CEs sold every sales day for weeks in a row (Munch, Super Hydorah, and Nurse Love Addiction). To make matters worse, there was barely any notice given before the sales date that Nurse Love Addiction would be getting a CE, and they still haven't even revealed the contents. It feels like they're taking for granted LRG collectors, thinking we all can whip together any amount of money at a moment's notice and will buy CEs regardless of what they contain.

Even though the rate of releases was too high, I really appreciate how last month they seemed to be going back to their roots, yet now they're going back to the habits that had customers demanding they go back to their roots in the first place.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It feels like they're taking for granted LRG collectors, thinking we all can whip together any amount of money at a moment's notice and will buy CEs regardless of what they contain.
    Some would argue that they've been taking advantage of LRG collectors for quite some time.... oh wait.

Pass on all three. The Gradius clone doesn't look bad, but it's a Gradius clone. Gradius Collection is fine enough for me honestly. I'm just not much of a shmup fan is all, so doesn't interest me enough to get it. When Senko no Ronde releases I'll get that though, and if they ever release Jamestown which apparently someone from LRG mentioned it as it's been rumored to get a release. The other two look like trash and even if I was interested in getting Fallen Legion, which I'm not, I'd get the Switch version which contains both stories.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-09-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Taking for granted and taking advantage are two different things.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Heads-up: LRG combed through orders to cancel purchases that exceeded their order limits, so if you missed Fallen Legion or Super Hydorah, they're back in stock briefly. Vita Fallen Legion and standard Super Hydorah are already sold out again, but there's a little left of PS4 Fallen Legion and the Super Hydorah CE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Another fucking LRG release next week? Pricks.

Is that the ONLY game for Friday? Also, if the LE is just a bullshit release with a soundtrack and poster, they can shove it. I will but the normal edition.

Can you imagine the chaos once they start releasing Switch games? Thank goodness I won't bother with them.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That's the only one announced so far for next Friday, but with them, who knows if more will be announced. They always talk about scheduling things out far in advance and promising to give more notice in the future, yet they never deliver on that. They say the 23rd will have nothing but a VR game (which won't be a part of their main numbered line). Probably Project LUX, unless they pull something else out of nowhere.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's the only one announced so far for next Friday, but with them, who knows if more will be announced. They always talk about scheduling things out far in advance and promising to give more notice in the future, yet they never deliver on that. They say the 23rd will have nothing but a VR game (which won't be a part of their main numbered line). Probably Project LUX, unless they pull something else out of nowhere.
    According to Douglas, there will likely also be Organ Trail and Kero Blaster this Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    According to Douglas, there will likely also be Organ Trail and Kero Blaster this Friday.
    Let me try something. Kero Blaster!! Totally awesome game because it's made by Pixel. Nevermind that it's a stupidly easy run and gun platformer, it's from the guy that made Cave Story! Challenge is overrated, stupidly easy games here I come!

Kero Blaster is a visually appealing game and because of the lack of any sort of difficulty, it's mediocre. Organ Trail is a novelty, nothing more. I'm not interested in visual novels, so two garbage games and another visual novel, no thanks.

My disinterested in visual novels aside, looks like LRG is trying to keep their bad and generic games streak alive for yet another week. When it comes to publishers, LRG has the most quality games in its library behind Namco Bandai, but it has by far the most amount of garbage compared to any other publisher this gen(and that's an understatement if I ever saw one.)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Your standards are really inconsistent. I've seen you shower lavish praise on other games that are every bit as easy as the games you say are mediocre or bad just because they're easy. Also, you continuously fail to respect that not all gamers like to be challenged by games, to the point that you even mock them. Games are about having fun, not about showing off your e-peen, and different people find different things fun. Easy games have their place, are worth existing, and are worth receiving physical print runs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Your standards are really inconsistent. I've seen you shower lavish praise on other games that are every bit as easy as the games you say are mediocre or bad just because they're easy.
    Like what games?
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-12-2018 at 02:26 AM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Final Fantasy games, Metroid-style Castlevania games, etc.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just got my Sky Force Anniversary in today. For the first time ever, I got a gold card with the game (card #046). I don't really put much thought into the whole card thing, but I thought that was pretty cool and unexpected.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've gotten two or three so far, but I don't think I've ever gotten them with a standard game. Only with bundles or CEs or such where getting extra cards is part of the deal (or maybe even a guaranteed gold card, I dunno). And I never got a gold sticker or anything special like that in the old days, despite buying practically everything back then.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

what are the odds of getting gold cards? is it 10% gold 90% silver per run or something along those lines?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm not sure if they've ever given out specific info. They do keep a checklist where cards are ranked common/uncommon/rare/ultra rare, though: https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/...44192386969602

In other news, Organ Trail and Kero Blaster were confirmed for definitely being on March 16.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Final Fantasy games, Metroid-style Castlevania games, etc.
    I'm sure you don't actually believe that. Exploration Castlevania games are my least favorite in the series, my favorite of those as well is Circle of the Moon considered to be the most difficult of them. That being said, even the easiest game in the franchise, SotN, isn't stupidly easy, especially if you don't sit around grinding. By going where you need to you actually die in a few hits on SotN, and considering each "checkpoint(save point)" is quite a ways away, it's not as easy as you think. That being said, SotN and HoD are the only ones that are considered easy. If you're me though, you make anything look easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Le6F1dlC8

Final Fantasy games aren't really easy, for RPGs they're actually well balanced. You've got some stupidly easy crap like Pokemon's brain dead use one team of Pokemon throughout the entire game with no chance in hell at dying and then you've got your grindy as all hell Dragon Quest games where only one game in the series, Dragon Warrior 7 isn't quite as bad of a grind as the rest of them on "hard" end of the spectrum. I mean sure, there's Final Fantasy 8, just create 100 Curaga's and then limit break your way through the game, there's Final Fantasy 10 which is literally just common sense, switch characters and OHKO the enemies. Final Fantasy 6 and 7 are considered the easiest in the series otherwise, but not if for the majority of scrubs grinding on RPGs then again, they wouldn't be all that easy. I mean you have so many scrubs crying about getting stuck at the temple of ancients against the evil wall and crying about many of the different dungeons in Final Fantasy 6. For two of the easiest games in the series, there's a whole bunch of crying going on.

I'll throw you a bone though. I actually liked World of Final Fantasy and it's stupidly easy, but there's a difference between a platformer with absolutely no platforming, absolutely no skill required, and literally just going through the motions than an easy game that has some really quality gameplay elements and just happens to be pathetically easy. The customization that the game has between the monsters and the characters adds a lot of depth. Unfortunately to get anything out of it, you pretty much have to play it in a way to switch to weaker monsters in your party every new area you progress to so the game remains somewhat less than retardedly easy. Have I finished the game? No. It's because the lack of difficultly that I eventually quit playing because I'm more or less going through the motions(deja vu from the sentence above, right?) The difference is, early on in the game it has some sort of challenge, very little, but it does show through at the beginning, and you clearly see the potential the game has if it was just balanced a bit better and the game was made to be a little bit harder.

Honestly, balance imo is by far the most important aspect alongside a games gameplay(aside from the game not being broken.) You can have the greatest gameplay in the world, but if it's unbelievably easy or impossibly hard for whatever reason, the game is far worse than a game that's not nearly as good but far better balanced. If the gameplay isn't very good at the start ontop of being unbelievably easy or hard, there's not even a point to the game.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-12-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I've gotten two or three so far, but I don't think I've ever gotten them with a standard game. Only with bundles or CEs or such where getting extra cards is part of the deal (or maybe even a guaranteed gold card, I dunno). And I never got a gold sticker or anything special like that in the old days, despite buying practically everything back then.
    Never gotten one. Doesn't matter, though. Could care less about them.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!