Thread: PAL SNES on an American TV

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PAL SNES on an American TV

I'm sorry if for the techno guys this a dumb and naive Q but keep in mind that I'm a technological idiot.

I took with me from Germany a German SNES (PAL) with some games. Can I play the system with an American TV or is that not possible because of the different color (PAL vs. NTSC) systems? If it's not possible, do need to mod it?

I also shipped my old German NES. However, this was slightly modded (back then from a Nintendo empoyee) with a little switch so it can play German AND American games. Can I use it with an American TV?

It would just be great to play sometimes Link to the Past or a Kid Icarus with German texts; and I like the sleek design better than the American design. If I can't play them, then they stay in the original boxes.

PS: I was an idiot. Why didn't I buy Terranigma in Germany? Thank goodness I wasn't too lazy to ship the German Super Metroid and Secret of Mana in the oversized boxes with guides.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know PAL will play on a NTSC tv fine, the problem is the Hz PAL is 50Hz and NTSC is 60Hz so PAL games run a bit faster on NTSC TVs (at lest the older ones do.) Your other problem is power but I'm not as familiar with all that, I know most Euro countries along with having different power connectors also have different power rating so you might need a power converter for the systems to get them to run here.

Edit: Ignore me, I have no idea what I'm talking about. haha I was thinking of playing PAL games on a NTSC system or something along those lines. sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by understatement; 10-15-2015 at 12:41 AM.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

There's ways to get the video working.
    Some HDTVs might accept PAL composite. Of course that won't look nearly as good as an RGB monitor, but monitors tend to be rather small and scarce.

Note that PAL SNES uses AC power input. I believe the "correct" US adapter is the American NES brick, contrary to the usual rule to NEVER plug it elsewhere (AC fries things).

Also keep in mind you no longer have to concern yourself near as much with import duty. USPS rarely changes fees on small personal goods.
    Feel liberated to import more games than ever before!
    Last edited by theclaw; 10-14-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your best bet is to find a sony pvm/bvm as it will do rgb plus 50/60hz or you could get a rgb to hdmi converter.

I own a pal snes and what I did was install a supercic then I component modded it so it runs on my sony trinitron in 60hz mode.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It depends if you have a new HDTV or not, most modern displays can play PAL or NTSC just fine. If you have an older CRT, you'll need a PAL compatible one. Or you can use something to convert the video signals, a dedicated converter or even some multi region VCRs which can convert the video output.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks so much to all for your input. I really appreciate it.

I'm a bit confused now. Can I just connect the PAL SNES to my American CRT (Sony Trinitron, probably from the mid 90s with S-Video) and have to be careful with the power? Is ist possible just to use a power adapter (like the one I have to use my German laptop in the US and it works just fine) or do I have to be concerned that I damage the SNES this way?

Or do I need something to convert the signal? I'm using for the older systems like the SNES an old CRT and not an HDTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

PAL will not work on American CRT TVs because of the signal difference, PAL is 50Hz and NTSC is 60Hz. You won't see anything on the screen properly playing 50Hz on a 60Hz display. There are multisystem CRTs that were sold mostly overseas in Europe or Hong Kong that can play both signals, this would be the best option. Or you'll need to convert the signal somehow.

As for the power supply, anything that provides the proper power ratings to the console will work. As long as the outputs match it will be fine. The power your console uses has nothing to do with the video signal output, that's a separate issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    As for the power supply, anything that provides the proper power ratings to the console will work. As long as the outputs match it will be fine. The power your console uses has nothing to do with the video signal output, that's a separate issue.
    I thought you'd have to convert our 110 volts to the Europe 220 volts to get the system to work, or is that just if you use the original power supply? If that's the case you're saying that you can use the US equivalent power supply on a Euro SNES?
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I thought you'd have to convert our 110 volts to the Europe 220 volts to get the system to work, or is that just if you use the original power supply? If that's the case you're saying that you can use the US equivalent power supply on a Euro SNES?
    As you've said, that's just if you're using the original power supply. All that matters is what the system itself uses, I'd have to double check but I think it's 10 volts. As long as you match the voltage, the polarity, and have enough amps, you'd be good to go. The adapter plug has to be able to fit properly as well, but that should be easy enough as I think just the North American version used that difficult to find connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As you've said, that's just if you're using the original power supply. All that matters is what the system itself uses, I'd have to double check but I think it's 10 volts. As long as you match the voltage, the polarity, and have enough amps, you'd be good to go. The adapter plug has to be able to fit properly as well, but that should be easy enough as I think just the North American version used that difficult to find connector.
    Okay that's cool I didn't know that, but it makes sense now that I think about it as the wall warts are all power step downs anyway.

Edit: So, from what I gather the easiest way to achieve a PAL system in the US without hunting down some rare TV/monitor is with a modern LCD TV and converting the PAL SCART to PAL HDMI (as most modern TVs should be able to play PAL and NTSC HDMI fine… right?) then powering the system with a US third party power supply that matches the systems power requirements.
    Last edited by understatement; 10-15-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PAL will not work on American CRT TVs because of the signal difference, PAL is 50Hz and NTSC is 60Hz. You won't see anything on the screen properly playing 50Hz on a 60Hz display. There are multisystem CRTs that were sold mostly overseas in Europe or Hong Kong that can play both signals, this would be the best option. Or you'll need to convert the signal somehow.

That's not entirely true.

When I took my modded pal snes to my buddy's house to show him and hooked it up via component to his SD sony trinitron tv it worked in color in 50hz mode in component,I was shocked as my sony trinitron will only work in 60hz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Okay that's cool I didn't know that, but it makes sense now that I think about it as the wall warts are all power step downs anyway.

Edit: So, from what I gather the easiest way to achieve a PAL system in the US without hunting down some rare TV/monitor is with a modern LCD TV and converting the PAL SCART to PAL HDMI (as most modern TVs should be able to play PAL and NTSC HDMI fine… right?) then powering the system with a US third party power supply that matches the systems power requirements.
    Yeah if you don't trust third party, try Nintendo's model NES-002. AC 9V 1.3A is an exact match to the PAL SNES.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikkon View Post
    That's not entirely true.

When I took my modded pal snes to my buddy's house to show him and hooked it up via component to his SD sony trinitron tv it worked in color in 50hz mode in component,I was shocked as my sony trinitron will only work in 60hz.
    Well, component doesn't use NTSC or PAL color. Resolution and refresh rate still matter for obvious reasons.
    Lum fan.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks so much for the input, it helped me a lot!

Since I have to buy anyway a new HDTV I'll connect my PAL SNES to this TV (will be a Samsung 50" LED) and I should be fine. For the power supply I'll use then just the original power thingie and buy an adapter so it fits an American power outlet. (?) Is this correct? (if necessary, I have two or three NES power supplies I could use).

Let's see then how this works. I'm also thinking about buying a scart cable for the SNES and then a SCART to HDMI converter to play it on the HDTV. I still have to and will buy buy a Retron5, but the thought of playing my old German Super NES this way is just intriguing. I shipped with the system also my old cartridge adapter which allows you to play American AND Japanese games on the German SNES. (Bought it in Germany in the 90s, but it has only English, French and Dutch language on the package. It is called 'Super Game Key' by the company 'Horelec'. The usual thing: put in the back of the adaptor the European cartridge, then on top of the adaptor the American or Japanese cart.)

Like I said, I'll also buy the Retron5. (btw, does the Retron5 also play PAL SNES cartridges or only Japanese ones?) The prospect to play Super Famicom games is very tempting. I'd LOVE to play the three Parodius games of which I heard already in the 90s. For these games I would even give up my rule to buy only complete games. I'd suspect they are in the meantime very expensive complete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Thanks so much for the input, it helped me a lot!

Since I have to buy anyway a new HDTV I'll connect my PAL SNES to this TV (will be a Samsung 50" LED) and I should be fine. For the power supply I'll use then just the original power thingie and buy an adapter so it fits an American power outlet. (?) Is this correct? (if necessary, I have two or three NES power supplies I could use).
    To use the PAL one, you'll need a real voltage converter box. Not a plug adapter.
    European power supplies want 220V to 240V. American outlets provide 110V to 120V.
    Lum fan.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The prices on the Parodius games I paid are probably out of date after only a couple years because of huge price spike, but I had gotten the second for about $30 and the third $50, both CIB which was at those times about average asking rate.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Since I have to buy anyway a new HDTV I'll connect my PAL SNES to this TV (will be a Samsung 50" LED) and I should be fine.
    I would not count on this working. My Samsung definitely doesn't work with PAL signals. Though none of the LCD brands I've tried will either, so I don't know where people are getting these American HDTV's that take PAL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I would not count on this working. My Samsung definitely doesn't work with PAL signals. Though none of the LCD brands I've tried will either, so I don't know where people are getting these American HDTV's that take PAL.
    Most modern displays have a menu option to change the format between NTSC and PAL. Not sure how every one you come across isn't compatible for some reason. Can you post model numbers for the TVs you're using?